Bilstein shocks thread

Just put a Motofab 2" kit in my brandnew Regular Cab,Longbed 4x4 today.MAN does it make the truck look mean.Sets perfectly level.

I got my kit off of fleabay new for 29.88 SHIPPED! Supr cheap and very nice kit.Done the job myself today in 2 hours.To raise the truck 2"s,the spacers are 1.2"s thick,so don't be surprised by the thickness of spacers.The geometry changes and multiplies the height.

ONLY thing i took loose is the sway bar and tires.No ball joints,sensors,or tie rods like the book sez to do.Took some serious prying to get the spacers in and lined up,but sure saved time and money.

You will love the level kit.

The aluminum vs steel is just the bolts and nuts, depends what you have on your truck, My SLE had steel so I went with the steel kit RC sells, easiest way is to take a magnet to it to check like "emeryz28" mentioned.

Haven't had any issues with the 2in level, makes the truck look better.

This should answer all your questions you may have - http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153363-2014-leveling-kits/page-1

Edited by BrokeLifeStyle

Thanks guys, I'll check with a magnet when I get my truck back from the dealer.

I have access to a truck lift and a full mechanic shop so it shouldn't take me long, just not sure if I'll still be able to fit in my garage or not.

Edited by Nickyb

just for reference here is mine with a RC 2" level

mine was steel, pretty much level out. at first after i got it back it was still somewhat rake in the rear.

but after driving for a week it leveled off.

42246925280395828049.jpg

Edited by ncd1966

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is getting away from the Bilstein shocks and doubling up on the leveling thread. I would like to know more about the Bilstein and the various settings. I have noted a few times in this thread that the highest setting brings a harsher ride. I have read elsewhere that even at the highest setting, the ride is better than stock. I plan to raise the front of my truck 1.5 to 2 inches and hope to improve ride or function in the process. I am very interested in the Bilstein or Pro Runner SS. I cannot afford to go to the higher end solutions like Fox. I would like to hear more evidence on how these levelling shocks are better than spacers. Bilstein has a nice description as to why they are better. However they are promoting their product and I'd rather hear from objective people on this forum!

This thread is getting away from the Bilstein shocks and doubling up on the leveling thread. I would like to know more about the Bilstein and the various settings. I have noted a few times in this thread that the highest setting brings a harsher ride. I have read elsewhere that even at the highest setting, the ride is better than stock. I plan to raise the front of my truck 1.5 to 2 inches and hope to improve ride or function in the process. I am very interested in the Bilstein or Pro Runner SS. I cannot afford to go to the higher end solutions like Fox. I would like to hear more evidence on how these levelling shocks are better than spacers. Bilstein has a nice description as to why they are better. However they are promoting their product and I'd rather hear from objective people on this forum!

Bilsteins at max height is a stiffer ride than stock (black shocks). But with it being stiffer, it comes along with feeling planted to the ground better. It doesn't bounce while making a moderately tight turn. My truck felt like the front end would bounce across the road with the stock shocks. Now I have a 2WD so maybe the lack of weight on the front made me feel that way. But all that being said. The bilsteins add height but don't completely level the truck. In my opinion it is the best upgrade that you can do to the truck especially for the price. Now the foxs and such, I'm sure are even better but for 340 or something like that it's the best bang for your buck. It drives like a truck now Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bilsteins at max height is a stiffer ride than stock (black shocks). But with it being stiffer, it comes along with feeling planted to the ground better. It doesn't bounce while making a moderately tight turn. My truck felt like the front end would bounce across the road with the stock shocks. Now I have a 2WD so maybe the lack of weight on the front made me feel that way. But all that being said. The bilsteins add height but don't completely level the truck. In my opinion it is the best upgrade that you can do to the truck especially for the price. Now the foxs and such, I'm sure are even better but for 340 or something like that it's the best bang for your buck. It drives like a truck now Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the kind of response that is most helpful. Thank you. I am still curious as to the reason for increasing harshness with the height selection. The way I think is that the extra pressure on the spring is released through additional lift to the truck. The truck doesn't get heavier the higher it goes. The idea of a firmer ride doesn't bother me if it is an indication of improved suspension. I worry if it is a symptom of a suspension system under stress.

Edited by Donstar

Most of the rides so much better regardless of height posts I see are people coming from ranchos. Im curious how ride compares to the stock black shocks like I have. I think I am going to pull the trigger and throw them on though. Even the black shocks, truck gets so unsettled in turns with a little bump etc. Id like a more confidence inspiring suspension. If Bilsteins dont satisfy Ill pull them and sell them.

• Like 1

Most of the rides so much better regardless of height posts I see are people coming from ranchos. Im curious how ride compares to the stock black shocks like I have. I think I am going to pull the trigger and throw them on though. Even the black shocks, truck gets so unsettled in turns with a little bump etc. Id like a more confidence inspiring suspension. If Bilsteins dont satisfy Ill pull them and sell them.

Great observation regarding the trucks with Ranchos! I am also tempted to "pull the trigger" but I hope to find a good explanation as to why the higher settings cause a firmer ride. I rely on paid labour to do my work so if I have regrets I won't be able to pull them out right away!

This is the kind of response that is most helpful. Thank you. I am still curious as to the reason for increasing harshness with the height selection. The way I think is that the extra pressure on the spring is released through additional lift to the truck. The truck doesn't get heavier the higher it goes. The idea of a firmer ride doesn't bother me if it is an indication of improved suspension. I worry if it is a symptom of a suspension system under stress.

You are correct.

Bilsteins provide height by compressing the spring into a smaller space. The shock is only marginally longer than stock, but that doesn't really matter because the lower spring perch location is what will determine the overall height. Compressing the stock spring into a smaller space essentially makes it stiffer, as it is further away from its fully-extended state. The higher you go, the more the spring is compressed, so the stiffer the ride becomes. The angle of the suspension also affects the ride. The greater the angle between the upper and lower control arms is to the frame, the more force is needed to compress it up. It also has to move out, away from the frame, because the suspension moves in an arc.

The system itself, other than the ball joints and cv joints, isn't really under any more stress. It's designed to move. The higher you go though, the more likely the cv's or ball joints are to fail.

I replaced the black stock shocks with Bilsteins. I like to say the ride is more controlled now. Less shaking and bouncing with the Bilsteins. My wife used to say she felt like a bobble head when riding with the stockers, but not now.