Bilstein shocks thread

What a joke lol They continue to push it back. Not sure my buddies and I can hold out since they just might push it back again mid year. Oh well. Time to start looking elsewhere..

What a joke lol They continue to push it back. Not sure my buddies and I can hold out since they just might push it back again mid year. Oh well. Time to start looking elsewhere..

I'am looking at Icon now. The reason I wanted the 6112 was because of the softer spring. The problem with these trucks is the coils are to stiff a shock alone can only do so much.

I'am looking at Icon now. The reason I wanted the 6112 was because of the softer spring. The problem with these trucks is the coils are to stiff a shock alone can only do so much.

I'm pretty sure the stock coils are around 500lb/in and I can almost guarantee that Bilstein will use the 650lb/in for the 6112's seeing how this is what they use for other trucks. Fox uses the same coil on the 2.0's and I couldn't justify waiting any longer so I ordered them instead. Also because I believe the coating on Fox shocks holds up a lot better than Bilsteins in Canadian weather.

Edited by projectsummit

Was actually told from a few retail places that with billstein coming out with a full coilovers replacement they might not even spool the 6112 for GMs. He said it's possible but with the push backs he thinks the coilovers will come out instead, as the setup for a Tacoma in a 6112 runs about 650.00 so in following the pricing the 6112 won't be cheap for GMs for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock coils on my truck were about 850 #/in. The standard coil ICON uses is 700 and I believe King and Fox use a similar rate. In all cases if you do more towing and less offroad driving you can ask for a stiffer spring and they can set you up. It'll be interesting to see what Bilstein ends up with.

I'm pretty sure the stock coils are around 500lb/in and I can almost guarantee that Bilstein will use the 650lb/in for the 6112's seeing how this is what they use for other trucks. Fox uses the same coil on the 2.0's and I couldn't justify waiting any longer so I ordered them instead. Also because I believe the coating on Fox shocks holds up a lot better than Bilsteins in Canadian weather.

Just going by what I was told from Bilstein. They said the springs where softer than the oem spring.

Edited by southern_sierra

Have you installed the Fox yet ,if so how do you like them.

The stock coils on my truck were about 850 #/in. The standard coil ICON uses is 700 and I believe King and Fox use a similar rate. In all cases if you do more towing and less offroad driving you can ask for a stiffer spring and they can set you up. It'll be interesting to see what Bilstein ends up with.

How'd you calc that? I've never heard of stock coils on any truck being that high.

I was in a 15 Tundra Pro yesterday that comes with bilstein shocks with external res and bilstein springs and the ride is so much better than my truck its no comparison. Went over the same places that my truck is rough and could not feel the bumps in the Tundra. One place that my truck feels like the front end almost leaves the ground at highway speed, Its crossing a abridge the approach. If I would have had my eyes closed I would have never knew I crossed it in the Tundra. Gave me a sick feeling. Guess I will look to fox or Icon. The Icon's are about $1500 for the front so will look at King too.

Edited by southern_sierra

Have you installed the Fox yet ,if so how do you like them.

I'm still waiting to receive them, also I no longer own a Sierra so my review of them wont be too spot on for your application.

My Sierra rode incredibly rough over everything which is part of the reason I traded it.

Edited by projectsummit

I'm still waiting to receive them, also I no longer own a Sierra so my review of them wont be too spot on for your application.

My Sierra rode incredibly rough over everything which is part of the reason I traded it.

I had a Tundra before the GMC. I like my truck alot but knowing what I do now wishing I had Got another one.

Just talked with Icon the 71505 has a 700lb #/in. spring. The 71505 is the extended travel ,they don't make the standard travel 71500 anymore. They said the droop stops would not have to be cut out, and work with both aluminum and steel UCA. The man I talked with has a 14 GMC and said he would be installing them on his truck in the next couple of weeks. He told me to call him back and would let me know what he thinks about them.