Bilstein shocks thread

Yeah I sadly sold it. A lot time and money but had to have more room for the kiddos and misses. Already heating up the credit card a bit with the new truck. This forum is got a lot of info for sure. A little hard to follow and post pics but otherwise good.

I will say I'm enjoying some of the perks the Sierra comes with that we're not even close to an option for the Tacoma. Got the new Method 306s in black, and taking off these 20" for some 17s bf699ef6258c1c8dda9c9a9dfbd75344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked up those Method's and like those. Post some pics when you get them mounted up and welcome to GM trucks! I was a Ford truck guy till last year.

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 1

Looked up those Method's and like those. Post some pics when you get them mounted up and welcome to GM trucks! I was a Ford truck guy till last year.

Yeah I will. Gotta find time. Both my jobs keep me super busy. Maybe this weekend. Nope next weekend. Gotta finishing trip planned this weekend.

Edited by Csjumper2003
  • Like 1

I was guessing that would be the case too. Given the number of NHT drivers on here, I'm surprised I can't find a more definitive answer. thanks though.

You can't find a definitive answer because there are not yet any details about the shock available, they aren't in production, they don't have part numbers. The 5160 will outperform any standard used GM shock without a doubt, as does the already available 5100. You will be able to use either while gaining performance and sacrificing nothing

I was talking with a local shock company and the 6112 might not even be released as they are working on a bolt on coil over for a few models and with sales not exploding like they thought they are still 50/50 on tooling them. That was per bill stein themselves. The 5160 I see is avowal able . The only option for front is 5100 or 5160 and estimated at highest setting the to get you 1 7/8 " lift. After this a pair of coilovers might be the way to go. The 6112 for the Toyota applications that were released are running about 650 a pair for a comparison. Still have to pull apart stock shock and use oem top hat. Just an FYI with some info I figured out.

Edited by Csjumper2003

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new set of Pro Comp Pro Runner SS adjustable struts fro sale. I paid $210 for them, will sell for $150 shipped!

These are the exact same as the 5100 shocks, however they have a 180 deg. collar on them so the lift option is 0" or 2" lift vs 3 settings like the 5100.

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new set of Pro Comp Pro Runner SS adjustable struts fro sale. I paid $210 for them, will sell for $150 shipped!

These are the exact same as the 5100 shocks, however they have a 180 deg. collar on them so the lift option is 0" or 2" lift vs 3 settings like the 5100.

I'm interested. Pm sent

You can't find a definitive answer because there are not yet any details about the shock available, they aren't in production, they don't have part numbers. The 5160 will outperform any standard used GM shock without a doubt, as does the already available 5100. You will be able to use either while gaining performance and sacrificing nothing

I guess I was looking for a definitive answer on if the rear springs of NHT would require a different valved aftermarket shock than stock rear springs. It seems like the answer is no, one shock will work for both.

Received my 5100's today and one of the struts is missing the "piston rod snap ring" as its described in the schematic. Any idea what this tiny thing does and is it needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe it's used to hold the bump stop up so it doesn't freely slide around on the shaft.

Can't imagine it would keep the bump stop in place. Seems like it would slide right over that little thing.

I ordered them from Off Road Warehouse and the boxes they were in were so trashed I thought they were used. They were of course packaged in a nice new shipping box but the Bilstein boxes were wasted. I'll call them tomorrow and find out about the piston snap ring I guess.

Received my 5100's today and one of the struts is missing the "piston rod snap ring" as its described in the schematic. Any idea what this tiny thing does and is it needed?

I think Bilstein also call this the "bump stop cap." Don't know the purpose, other than what the name states. Maybe to keep the top of the shock / shaft clean?

I had a snap ring fail (my fault) on a previous vehicle and called Bilstein directly. They overnighted me a new one at no cost. I'd go that route. Their customer service is top notch.

Can't imagine it would keep the bump stop in place. Seems like it would slide right over that little thing.

I ordered them from Off Road Warehouse and the boxes they were in were so trashed I thought they were used. They were of course packaged in a nice new shipping box but the Bilstein boxes were wasted. I'll call them tomorrow and find out about the piston snap ring I guess.

I've ordered bilstein shocks three times and every time the boxes were pretty smooshed up.

Edited by projectsummit
  • Like 1

The bump stop cap is different. That's the large metal cup thing that slides down over the top of the shock. I'm missing a tiny snap ring that sits in a grove near the top of the piston rod.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that little rings purpose is to help hold up the bump stop. I can't see any other purpose for it.