Bilstein shocks thread

While Bilstein suggests the 5160 reservoir shocks to be used with the 6112, its about 50/50 in the Toyota communities what people run out back. Yes, we have several people who only buy the fronts and keep stock rears, or those who run them with 5100s in the rear.

on that note, what do you think about the 5160s designed for the gmt trucks on our k2xx trucks or is bilstein developing production models specifically valved for our trucks?

• Like 1

I'm running the 5165's with the 255/70 valving in the rear and can confirm they're a pretty significant improvement over the 5100's I was running. Assuming the valving they come up with isn't too far off that, I'd expect the same with their new 5160's.

I'm running the 5165's with the 255/70 valving in the rear and can confirm they're a pretty significant improvement over the 5100's I was running. Assuming the valving they come up with isn't too far off that, I'd expect the same with their new 5160's.

Exactly how I felt moving from the 5100 to the 5160 rear. 5160 can be described as being... sportier? Feels more significant.

For lifted applications, we will also come up with a table of 5165s you can use in conjunction with the 6112 front / lift spacer / bracket...

I would never need a larger diameter for cooling because I wont be beating on them.

The diameter isn't just for cooling. It basically allows the shock to do everything it does better. It's of particular help with an IFS where 1" of wheel travel only means a bit more than 1/2" of shock travel. If the shock is only moving a small amount of fluid, it can only exert a small amount of control over a given movement. A larger diameter piston moving more fluid means it's possible for the shock to give a damping response closer to what the Engineers want for a given input.

Exactly how I felt moving from the 5100 to the 5160 rear. 5160 can be described as being... sportier? Feels more significant.

Yes, much better handling. More controlled, less "bouncy and floaty" feelings from the rear. And seemingly even softer over sharp bumps. A worthwhile upgrade.

For lifted applications, we will also come up with a table of 5165s you can use in conjunction with the 6112 front / lift spacer / bracket...

That would be helpful. The 5165's need new spacers and bushings to work with these trucks which scares most people off. If offered as a package for the application maybe more people would give them a chance. Is the 255/70 valving what you typically use on the Tundras and Tacomas?

I have a feeling the 6112's combined with leveling kit spacers and new UCA's may become a popular choice for those looking to lift ~2.5" without losing much droop travel and wanting the best ride they can get for the money. And of course any lift kit that uses the stock spring and shock should work with them as well.

Edited by Jon A
  • Like 1

Bilstein will have new part numbers for application specific 5160s for the new trucks. I am sure the other ones would work just fine (We run Tundra shocks on lifted Tacomas, Jeep shocks on lifted mercedes, etc), but Bilstein will optimize the new shocks for these specific trucks.

Thanks for the info, will probably depend on timing and price. Ready to level this thing now but its too cold to mess with. Love any updates around these you can provide as you learn more, Ill be watching closely.

• Like 1

I just don't think I can wait for the 6112, if the release is still set for march/april, then backorder issues. As MRT said, they only made a few Tundra's thus far. If I don't end up moving to a duramax, i'll be doing the fox 2.0. I don't do any wheeling other than hunting roads, the mountain road to my cabin and the beach, I really just want a small lift with enhanced ride characteristics, I think Fox will fit the bill.

• Like 1

I did last week actually, and it's great. But the Fox should be equivalent as the 6112 will use the same spring. I can't stand my z71 suspension much longer. I may buy my bosses 2015 LTZ Duramax, which would solve this dilemma for me

I just don't think I can wait for the 6112, if the release is still set for march/april, then backorder issues. As MRT said, they only made a few Tundra's thus far. If I don't end up moving to a duramax, i'll be doing the fox 2.0. I don't do any wheeling other than hunting roads, the mountain road to my cabin and the beach, I really just want a small lift with enhanced ride characteristics, I think Fox will fit the bill.

I am reserving the first production run for GM-Trucks.com members.

• Like 1