Bilstein shocks thread

I would not compare the fox 2.0 to a 5100.

5100 digressive, non rebuild-able, zinc coated brushed metal finish (corrodes fairly quick in extreme weather)

fox 2.0 progressive, rebuild-able, billet aluminium, zinc plated double clear coated

I wouldn't compare them either just based on price. A pair of 5100's for the front only costs $180.

I would not compare the fox 2.0 to a 5100.

5100 digressive, non rebuild-able, zinc coated brushed metal finish (corrodes fairly quick in extreme weather)

fox 2.0 progressive, rebuild-able, billet aluminium, zinc plated double clear coated

A new eibach spring as well, in addition to a larger diameter shock body. I think a fair comparison is the 6112 to fox 2.0...the Fox 2.5 and icons and kings are in a different league.

I guess when you compare the fact that they are both 2.0" shocks, and the price for the hardware/top mount and eibach springs, they are similarly priced. To me the fox are much more appealing. I think that bilstein should be selling their 6112's assembled to. Making the customer use their stock hardware and top mount is kind of a slap in the face for the price they sell for.

So what I am gathering is Bilsten 5100's and the way they are developing the 6112's so there is no need of installing an aftermarket UCA... Have I come to the correct conclusion or would I be better off buying a new UCA? I would be using the stock 20 inch wheels with 275/60/20 tires...

If anyone is interested I have a brand new in the box set of Pro Comp SS struts for sale. I purchased these with the intent to install but decided to go with the Fox 2.0 set up.

These are adjustable just like the 5100 and have pretty much the exact same ride characteristics.

I purchased for $210 and will sell for $150 shipped.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Pro-Runner-SS-Monotube-Shock-Absorber.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=EXPZX2108

I wonder why fox makes the 2.0 different for the aluminum suspension. do their coils come in contact with the control arms some how? Only difference between aluminum and steel arms is the ball joint tapers.

Edited by projectsummit

I wonder why fox makes the 2.0 different for the aluminum suspension. do their coils come in contact with the control arms some how? Only difference between aluminum and steel arms is the ball joint tapers.

This has been discussed in length, I have a thread on here that explains the differences between the two arms.

The 6112 is pretty much identical to what comes on the Tacoma & 4Runner Pro Models. The Tundra PRO has a different one-off shock which has a reservoir on it, while the aftermarket Tundra 6112 does not have one.

Does the 6112 for this application have position sensitive valving like the Tundra Pro shocks?

I guess when you compare the fact that they are both 2.0" shocks, and the price for the hardware/top mount and eibach springs, they are similarly priced. To me the fox are much more appealing. I think that bilstein should be selling their 6112's assembled to. Making the customer use their stock hardware and top mount is kind of a slap in the face for the price they sell for.

I think the 6112 is a 2.5 diameter shock at least thats what I'am reading.

Edited by southern_sierra

So what I am gathering is Bilsten 5100's and the way they are developing the 6112's so there is no need of installing an aftermarket UCA... Have I come to the correct conclusion or would I be better off buying a new UCA? I would be using the stock 20 inch wheels with 275/60/20 tires...

The 6112 will not require new arms, but it is always a worthwhile upgrade.

Your posts are not very clear, so I am not sure what you are referring too.

The Fox 2.0 is a 2" Diameter shock. The 6112 is a 2.65" Diameter shock. The 5100 is a 2.0" diameter shock.

The Fox 2.0 and Bilstein 6112 come with new springs, the 5100 does not.

From over a year of testing the 6112 and from personal experience with both systems, the Fox 2.0 are no where near the performance level of the 6112, but are a big upgrade from the 5100, which is much better than stock.

The cost is very reasonable for what you get, a 2.65" shock that costs half of all of the other 2.5 options out there. If you want a billet top hat, threaded shock body and all that race level awesomeness you should be looking at a Fox, King or ICON 2.5" coilover system.