Bilstein shocks thread

I wonder how Bilstein is addressing the difference between the steel arm and aluminum arm trucks? Fox sells two completely different units, the ones for the aluminum trucks only giving about 1/2" of lift (found out the hard way). Other companies sell one model for both trucks. I ditched my Fox units because how little lift they gave me and am considering the 5100's but the 6112 has had my attention since last year, just the never ending wait to see if they will be built and if they'll work on my truck.

Here's how I see it, and this is from dealing with shocks on my old Titan. As long as the shock is the same length as the stock shocks, there shouldn't be a problem regardless of lift provided by the shock, as long as the other components arn't being stressed additionally. 5100's give you lift from preloading the spring. The spring is compressed into a smaller space at stock height, therefore creating a "stiffer spring." This is also what makes the ride harsher. So if the 6112 follows suit and isn't an extended travel shock, setting it to 2" of lift shouldn't be a problem.

Now if the shock is longer, there is definitely a potential for issues. If the Fox shocks were extended travel, meaning their fully extended length was greater than the stock shocks, the other suspension components could max out. The other side of this is that we know adding a leveling kit, above or below the shock, effectively increases the overall length of the shock the same as an extended travel shock would. We also know that you can put a 2" level on an aluminum armed truck. So I don't know what Fox did, other than extend the shock over 2"

Aftermarket UCA's with uniballs are always a good upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6112 will likely keep the same lift numbers as the 5100 at around 1.8" max, with 3 other lower settings, but they will include with it a new spring at a different rate than stock. The spring rate, different valving to work with it and a larger body are the main differences. Because the lift will not exceed the threshhold of either Alum or steel arms, they should be a universal fit. The 6112 will be similar to the fox 2.0 in performance, though I do not know what spring rates they use. As usual, they tune them per vehicle. 6112 is what is used in toyotas TRD PRO line (although TRD does not use a bilstein spring but their own design).

Aftermarket UCA's are a great upgrade for any suspension that increases ride height or wheel travel, however I dislike uniballs because they do not last as long. Cognito makes the best UCA for our trucks in my opinion, mainly because they make a ball joint version which will outlast the uniball (because it is sealed). Unsealed uniballs while technically are stronger, are left open to the environment and in the northeast that means they won't last much longer than a single winter.

If you go above 2", get UCA's. If you increase travel, get UCA's. If you set bilstein 5100 or 6112 at max height, you'd be well served with UCA's.

Fox 2.0 is very comparable and probably cheaper for the full set. Pm super trucks USA on the forum and they will give you a good deal. Same coil but progressive damping instead of digressive. Arguably better.

Full set price for Bilstein 6112 w/5100 rears is less than FOX, the 6112 w/5160 res rears will be about the $20-30 more than the Fox kit.

The 2.5 makes a big difference over a 2.0 in offroad performance. Driving on the two its easy to see the difference, hardly comparable in an offroad environment.

The spring and valving rates still have yet to be decided and there are a few different combos on the table still.

As soon as there are more updates, we will post them here :)

Edited by MRT Motorsports

Full set price for Bilstein 6112 w/5100 rears is less than FOX, the 6112 w/5160 res rears will be about the $20-30 more than the Fox kit.

The 2.5 makes a big difference over a 2.0 in offroad performance. Driving on the two its easy to see the difference, hardly comparable in an offroad environment.

The spring and valving rates still have yet to be decided and there are a few different combos on the table still.

I tow heavy (10k~) and also would like to lift 1"to 1.5" to stuff a larger diameter E rated tire. How would this setup perform with a load? Better than 5100s? Just trying to determine if waiting for 6112 is necessary for my use.

So is the Bilstein 6112 a 2.5 in level then? If this is the same setup as the Tundra TRD PRO I'm getting it. That is an amazing setup

Not likely, it will be the same as the 5100 lift at 1.8-2". Toyotas can have more front end lift before UCAs become a requirement, the Silverado can't go much above 2" without it being necessary. In order for the Bilstein to perform as a standalone, it can't exceed the tolerances of the suspension geometry. I'm getting sick of waiting and may go for the fox 2.0 for steel arms

So is the Bilstein 6112 a 2.5 in level then? If this is the same setup as the Tundra TRD PRO I'm getting it. That is an amazing setup

The 2.5 I was referencing is the shock diameter, not the level height :) The 6112 is pretty much identical to what comes on the Tacoma & 4Runner Pro Models. The Tundra PRO has a different one-off shock which has a reservoir on it, while the aftermarket Tundra 6112 does not have one.

Not likely, it will be the same as the 5100 lift at 1.8-2". Toyotas can have more front end lift before UCAs become a requirement, the Silverado can't go much above 2" without it being necessary. In order for the Bilstein to perform as a standalone, it can't exceed the tolerances of the suspension geometry. I'm getting sick of waiting and may go for the fox 2.0 for steel arms

Yes, it most likely wont be over 2". Fox makes a good shock its probably our second best selling brand. The 2.0 from fox is more like a bilstein 5100 than a 6112 tho.

We are still looking at an April release.

Edited by MRT Motorsports

I tow heavy (10k~) and also would like to lift 1"to 1.5" to stuff a larger diameter E rated tire. How would this setup perform with a load? Better than 5100s? Just trying to determine if waiting for 6112 is necessary for my use.

Yes, it will provide more control and dampening over a 5100 while giving you the lift you want. Its a smooth riding shock that can take more abuse than a 5100. Depending on how much extra weight you are carrying around at a certain point we would really look at upgrading bumpstops, adding airbags or changing springs.

I would not compare the fox 2.0 to a 5100.

5100 digressive, non rebuild-able, zinc coated brushed metal finish (corrodes fairly quick in extreme weather)

fox 2.0 progressive, rebuild-able, billet aluminium, zinc plated double clear coated