Bilstein shocks thread

How do the 6112's compare to Pro Comps 2.75" Black series struts?

http://www.procompusa.com/suspension-product-details.aspx?pt=3306&pl=109930&pqq=2239&pqa=16655

The 6112 is a shock and spring package not sure about the pro comp. The 6112 spring will be softer than the oem spring

The 6112 is a shock and spring package not sure about the pro comp. The 6112 spring will be softer than the oem spring

The Procomp black series is a 2.75" strut with springs, that's why I'm asking how the 6112 compares as a direct competitor of the Black Series.

The link I provide shows all of the detail, I'm not sure of the price point on the 6112 but these are 499ea and maybe an alternative to the 6112

The Procomp black series is a 2.75" strut with springs, that's why I'm asking how the 6112 compares as a direct competitor of the Black Series.

The link I provide shows all of the detail, I'm not sure of the price point on the 6112 but these are 499ea and maybe an alternative to the 6112

Not sure about the price Iam thinking about 750 for the pair will available.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone. I will have some R&D photos of the GM being tested in the coming weeks.

Do you know if the 6112's are the same length as the stock shocks? I've run 5100's on my past two vehicles, and the upper settings have always lead to a fairly stiff ride. I know with the new springs this may not be the case, but I was looking to run a 1" lower mount spacer and then set the 6112's to the 1" setting for 2" of lift and a less-harsh ride. If the 6112's are longer than stock though, this may not be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how Bilstein is addressing the difference between the steel arm and aluminum arm trucks? Fox sells two completely different units, the ones for the aluminum trucks only giving about 1/2" of lift (found out the hard way). Other companies sell one model for both trucks. I ditched my Fox units because how little lift they gave me and am considering the 5100's but the 6112 has had my attention since last year, just the never ending wait to see if they will be built and if they'll work on my truck.

I'm thinking of ordering the Cognito UCA's to go with what ever I do. I have a feeling the stock UCA is a big issue with ride quality and definitely suspension travel when we lift these trucks with leveling kits or the like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how Bilstein is addressing the difference between the steel arm and aluminum arm trucks? Fox sells two completely different units, the ones for the aluminum trucks only giving about 1/2" of lift (found out the hard way). Other companies sell one model for both trucks. I ditched my Fox units because how little lift they gave me and am considering the 5100's but the 6112 has had my attention since last year, just the never ending wait to see if they will be built and if they'll work on my truck.

I'm thinking of ordering the Cognito UCA's to go with what ever I do. I have a feeling the stock UCA is a big issue with ride quality and definitely suspension travel when we lift these trucks with leveling kits or the like.

Only difference between the aluminum and steel suspension is the ball joint taper sizes. I don't see why companies would make different shocks for the different styles. UCA's are the only thing that would need to be different.

Edit - I just took a look on the fox website and you're correct they make the 2.0 specifically for aluminum suspension, I wonder if it's just valved differently to compensate for the reduced unsprung weight.

Edited by projectsummit

That is exactly what Cognito told me. I was so disappointed with my Fox 2.0 experience I sold them with 5 miles on the for half of what I'd paid. The solution from Fox was to crank up the pre load. After they shipped them back I sold them instead of putting them back on. They told me if I had bought the version for steel arm my truck would've had almost 3" of lift. Better than 1/2" IMHO.

Only difference between the aluminum and steel suspension is the ball joint taper sizes. I don't see why companies would make different shocks for the different styles. UCA's are the only thing that would need to be different.

Edit - I just took a look on the fox website and you're correct they make the 2.0 specifically for aluminum suspension, I wonder if it's just valved differently to compensate for the reduced unsprung weight.

Nope, different overall length and shorter stroke/travel for their aluminum version. Different coil spring too.

King and pretty sure Icon (plus Bilstein 5100) only spec one model for both trucks.

Edited by TeeDub21

Very odd, but you never did try adjusting them? I'm about to buy a full 2.0 set for my 2015 f150.

The springs are so stiff the average person with a rented spring compressor would have a tough time. Plus the coils are so small and close together the one I rented wouldn't work. Took them to a shop with a wall mount compressor and they couldn't do it either because their compressor wouldn't hold the smaller diameter fox coils. Fox agreed to pay round trip shipping so they could adjust them. They cranked up the pre load (which would probably make them ride worse) and said that I "should get 1.5 inch of lift with them". Had a bad taste after spending over $1,000 and not feeling I got what I'd paid for, so I sold them.

Put my 2" level kit back in and went back to my shitty Rancho ride until I can decide which way I'm going to go.

The springs are so stiff the average person with a rented spring compressor would have a tough time. Plus the coils are so small and close together the one I rented wouldn't work. Took them to a shop with a wall mount compressor and they couldn't do it either because their compressor wouldn't hold the smaller diameter fox coils. Fox agreed to pay round trip shipping so they could adjust them. They cranked up the pre load (which would probably make them ride worse) and said that I "should get 1.5 inch of lift with them". Had a bad taste after spending over $1,000 and not feeling I got what I'd paid for, so I sold them.

Put my 2" level kit back in and went back to my shitty Rancho ride until I can decide which way I'm going to go.

that sucks, I hate situations like that.

The problem with the 2.0's for my new truck is that they were originally made for the 2014's so now that they have an aluminum body they give about 2.25" of lift. I'm having fox adjust them for me to 1.75" before sending them. I'm hoping that lowering it will make the ride more plush.