Bilstein shocks thread

On one hand, Billy's are in high demand because of their quality and advance testing.

OTOH, seems like they are behind the 8 ball on this platform as they know the GM truck twins will have out roughly 500k units annually in a 2-4 year cycle platform.

Odd that they are still short on 5100's and do not have the 6112's in production within as of now two MY's of this config.

Come on Billy, make it happen.

• Like 1

On one hand, Billy's are in high demand because of their quality and advance testing.

OTOH, seems like they are behind the 8 ball on this platform as they know the GM truck twins will have out roughly 500k units annually in a 2-4 year cycle platform.

Odd that they are still short on 5100's and do not have the 6112's in production within as of now two MY's of this config.

I ordered my 5100's Saturday and they shipped yesterday so they aren't too back logged anymore I guess.

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone. I will have some R&D photos of the GM being tested in the coming weeks.

Any idea how much travel will be gained from the 6112 setup versus the stock travel? And by chance, do you know the actual stock travel front and rear?

• Like 1

Seems like the bilstein 5100 fronts are readily available again, finally. I had an order from mid - october w/ suspension connection, received 1 rear shock 1.5 months later, then a 2nd rear 2 weeks after, had been calling and checking on the status of fronts numerous times. Monday was ready to cancel and re-order through Amazon as there appears to be plenty available for prompt shipment there, but suspension connection sent me shipping notification last night for both fronts so all is well.

I will be getting these installed probably 1-16-16, fronts @ highest setting, and swapping stock rear blocks for ready lift 2.25" block kit on 275/55r20 Michelin snow tires & 20" granite alloy black rims.

Plan on swapping out the stock goodyear SRA's on my factory 20" all terrains for 275/65r20 BFG TA KO2's in the spring - I'm guessing there may be a little rubbing in front but that I should be able to address it w/ zip ties??? If I don't mind the look of the lift w/ the 275/55/20 michelins, I may opt for 275/60/20 BFG's as a compromise to avoid rubbing and keep the unsprung weight down.

Will post pics once done.

• Like 1

Bilstein takes care of its OEMs first, then standard replacements, then offroad shocks. The 6112 is a new product completely as opposed the 5100 which is tried and true, so the first few Toyota runs were very small @ 50 units a cycle to see how they would do in the market. The response has been nothing but positive so maybe they will up production on the next go around.

Save a set for me. I'll be in for some when they arrive!

giphy.gif

Got you two covered!!

Any idea how much travel will be gained from the 6112 setup versus the stock travel? And by chance, do you know the actual stock travel front and rear?

Its not finalized yet which shock they are going to put in production out of the test units, when it is I will post up all the specs.

Anyone gonna have the 6112's available for pre-order?

Total Automotive Performance will be the first to offer them around April.

• Like 1

How does the 6112 stack up to the Fox 2.0's? Guessing they are about the same performance and price wise?

Fox 2.0 has threaded adjustment and comes fully assembled. Its a 2.0" diameter shock. The 6112 is much larger at 2.65", has a larger shock pistion / shaft, more oil capacity, etc.

I would place the Fox 2.0 in between the 5100 and 6112 in terms of ride and performance, but it does have more techy features as compared to the 6112 like the threaded shock body some may like.

Fox 2.0 has threaded adjustment and comes fully assembled. Its a 2.0" diameter shock. The 6112 is much larger at 2.65", has a larger shock pistion / shaft, more oil capacity, etc.

I would place the Fox 2.0 in between the 5100 and 6112 in terms of ride and performance, but it does have more techy features as compared to the 6112 like the threaded shock body some may like.

I asse the Bilsteins will be rebuildable like the 2.0's?

I am a Bilstein fan, not trying to come off like a Fox fan, never had them but sure love the Bilsteins, night and day difference over the stock JUNK shocks.