Bilstein shocks thread

I installed 5100s in my last truck. 2004 Nissan Titan 4x4. I installed them on the highest setting. It leveled the truck very nicely. Though I never had any problems with the shocks or components.....it definitely made the ride pretty harsh. I got use to it after a while. Even drove across the country with it. Bumps in the road were harsh though.

I'm contemplating if I even went to mess with my 2014 Silverado. I was thinking of leveling it or lifting it. Only it rides so nice and smooth right now. I'm not sure I want to risk messing that up. Lifting the truck would make it look great, but using my truck for work and loading quads in it would make a lift unpractical for me I think.

Honestly if you have a truck with the black z60 shocks, a leveling block really doesn't change the ride much at all. Believe me, I'm a bit of a nut with suspension, I've had three different sets of shocks on my truck. My friends black z60 shocks ride really nice, with little to no body roll. We installed a 1.5" level block in his and it still rides nice, left a little bit of rake so it doesn't look stupid when he has a bit of a load. Cheaper and easier to install, and if you don't like it then you take them out and sell them.

Edited by projectsummit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

People may read this and get confused..........Shocks don't actually give your truck any lift, that's not how vehicles are lifted. Only the adjustable ride height 5100's allow lift by moving the snap ring to set the perch height. There are several brands out that allow for increased ride height by having the coil spring set higher up on the shock.

Shocks alone will in no way lift a truck. The rear 5100's are not ride height adjustable and do nothing for the rear ride height. They are simply a direct replacement for OEM shocks.

Chas here, previosuly posting under the other TotalAuto name but lost the password.

Its more confusing when you put it that way I think. The front 5100 ride height adustable shocks have different preset lift levels that will bring the front of the truck up while retaining factory springs. No other items than the 5100 front shocks are requried to lift the front. While most shocks will not lift a truck up, these will.

The 6112's won't be available until the end of the year. I hope they will be the answer to a good ride since they will come with a softer spring.

It is now looking like end of March / early April before we see any Chevy/GM applications from the 6112. The 5100 is a great option for the time being and for those just looking to bring the nose up. They are a big upgrade from stock. The 6112 is in a different ballpark when it comes to ride quality and offroad performance tho.

It is now looking like end of March / early April before we see any Chevy/GM applications from the 6112. The 5100 is a great option for the time being and for those just looking to bring the nose up. They are a big upgrade from stock. The 6112 is in a different ballpark when it comes to ride quality and offroad performance tho.

Thanks

In my last truck I installed 5100s on the highest setting. It leveled the truck out great. The ride was pretty ruff at first. Idk if I got use to it or the shocks wore in a bit.......but it seemed to ride better as time went on. Only, when I went off road with them they seemed very stiff and my steering wheel shook/ jerked pretty bad. The whole truck shook/vibrated. I had taken the truck off road prior to installing and it rode much better with stock shocks. I think the the highest setting might of just been too stiff.

I've been thinking of leveling out my new truck, but that experience has me thinking I'l save up andl try fox. . Has anyone else experienced this while off road with 5100s on the highest setting?

Ok ladies and gents. I need some help on which setting to use. I have a Crew Cab 6.6ft bed with a Leer shell. Right now with my stock 17" wheel and tires the front lip of fenders are close to 36" to floor and the back lip of rear wheel well is 38" to floor. I do not want the rear to be lower than the front and I plan on installing the Air Lift load lifters out back in a few months. knowing this should I just go all the way to the 4th notch for the 1.85" lift?

What do you all suggest?

04C6C237-48FD-40F5-9DD1-A9C3A365C2AE.jpg

Ok ladies and gents. I need some help on which setting to use. I have a Crew Cab 6.6ft bed with a Leer shell. Right now with my stock 17" wheel and tires the front lip of fenders are close to 36" to floor and the back lip of rear wheel well is 38" to floor. I do not want the rear to be lower than the front and I plan on installing the Air Lift load lifters out back in a few months. knowing this should I just go all the way to the 4th notch for the 1.85" lift?

What do you all suggest?

04C6C237-48FD-40F5-9DD1-A9C3A365C2AE.jpg

I have the 5100's sitting in the garage, but cannot decide on what to do. Im thinking I might go with the air bags in the rear eventually as well. I also dont even need the extra lift in the front with my 275/70 K02s, thought I would which is why I bought the 5100s. Totally cannot make a decision