Bilstein shocks thread

I got tired of waiting for the 6112's so I pulled the trigger on Fox coilovers. They're spendy at $430 a pop but the ride is fantastic. I went with Cognito ball joint UCA's, Fox Shox premier coilovers and difff drop spacers. As far as leveling It cost more than a spacer kit but it's doing it right with added travel and a better ride. They come set at 2" lift from Fox. By the way, on my 2015 Sierra half ton I put 275/70-R18 Goodrich TA KO2 tires (33"x10.8") on the factory wheels before doing the lift and they fit without any rubbing at stock height.

Edited by Brettinwa
  • Like 1

I got tired of waiting for the 6112's so I pulled the trigger on Fox coilovers. They're spendy at $430 a pop but the ride is fantastic. I went with Cognito ball joint UCA's, Fox Shox premier coilovers and difff drop spacers. As far as leveling It cost more than a spacer kit but it's doing it right with added travel and a better ride. They come set at 2" lift from Fox. By the way, on my 2015 Sierra half ton I put 275/70-R18 Goodrich TA KO2 tires (33"x10.8") on the factory wheels before doing the lift and they fit without any rubbing at stock height.

What diff drop spacers did you use?

So what is the best option in just trying to level the vehicle? I am wanting to level my truck but I'm completely new to customizing trucks. I saw the leveling kits are around $60 or so? Then however much it cost to get those installed.

Where the billistens 5100s are like $130 a piece right? I'm not sure how much it would cost to get these installed. But the ride would be a lot better with these right?

I've noticed when going over speed bumps or bumps in the road the original shocks don't seem to absorb the hit much at all or bounce you around inside the cab. Any help or info on my other questions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it seemed like the 5100s can only lift the front 1.8 inches or so, is that true? I thought the 2 inch or 2.5 inches looks a lot better. I just saw one before after pic of the 5100s installed and it still seems like you can see a slight slope with the front end being a little lower? Am I crazy and just seeing things or does it really seem to be that way?

• 4 weeks later...

Is the top setting on Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks roughly level? I'm planning on getting a pair for the front of my 14 silverado, but I want to keep a little rake in the rear to avoid having my nose in the air with a heavy load. What setting are you guys running your 5100's on? And is changing the setting difficult after installation?

• Like 1

go with the 3rd setting. That will give 1.25" of level, and the front will be slightly lower than the rear. That's what I did. the top setting is pretty much level.

And this is what it will look like. Keep in mind my driveway is slanted to the left a bit, so it looks like the front is higher, but I can assure you it's not.

3d5d0af4cf669da55b60c2e6778a5c31.jpg

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 1

Looks good guys!

WOB, like the debaged look, clean!

Wondering what you think about the ride quality?

Thx man!

And the truck does rides better, but its not night and day. I'm not sure if my truck is particularly rough compared to others but I the 5100's only helped out a bit. They do smooth out larger uneven surfaces quite well and the truck doesn't bounce as much which has helped more when towing. They are a good upgrade but your milage will vary, just depends what your expectations are. I'm interested in further improving my ride quality though. I came from a 2005 Dodge 2500 which was crazy stiff, and while my GM is less stiff, it still doesn't have that famous "GMC ride quality" My basis of comparison is my roommates 2013 SLE and my Dads 2013 F150 King Ranch, both of which are much smother and take in rough roads better than my truck.

I have my Bilstein's set at the 3rd highest setting, and while not bad, I was hoping for alittle smoother over rough/patchy type roads we have here in south Louisiana.

I plan on setting them down to first setting/no lift, and adding a 1 1/2" lower shock spacer I have. If it still rides ruff, I'll pull the spacer and add a zone body lift for the 1 1/2". I have 3" lift spindles, and want 4.5"-5" overall with a smooth ride. It has to be possible! :nonod:

My buddy has a 2013 FX4 with the same tires as me (BFG KO2) with his shocks set at the highest setting, and his truck rides much better than mine. Mine's a 2wd with 8000 miles and his is 4wd with 65,000 miles.