AUX switch install

You are likely missing the wiring between the Aux switch (S48A) and the junction block down by the pedals (X61A) and then out from the X61A to the Underhood fuse box (X50A). You can bypass the X61A altogether and go directly from the S48A to the X50A through the little “nipple” on the large boot on the firewall behind the X50A. You will also need to add diodes on each of the four wires coming from the S48A. Part number IN4004 (eBay).

5 hours ago, TinkeringFox said:

You are likely missing the wiring between the Aux switch (S48A) and the junction block down by the pedals (X61A) and then out from the X61A to the Underhood fuse box (X50A). You can bypass the X61A altogether and go directly from the S48A to the X50A through the little “nipple” on the large boot on the firewall behind the X50A. You will also need to add diodes on each of the four wires coming from the S48A. Part number IN4004 (eBay).

again why the diodes as they are not in the factory drawings. also I know I could go around X61A but I really don't want to. if I could get the terminals I will make the wires 

43 minutes ago, TinkeringFox said:

Ok, let me get see what I have. Here is the bulletin about the diodes....

ADC10E7A-D9DE-4307-BF51-DB1F226E9504.jpeg

ok I see this would make sense if you use aftermarket relays but I plan on using the factory upfitter at X50a not sure how I could add these diodes.

the latest ui bulletin states to delete earlier bulletins I'm looking at 110m.

Do you have a source for the terminals maybe you could sell me some so I could run all the wires from s48a to X61A then x50a and some extra as I also want to retire my second fuel pump relay for my off road lights 

Edited by Bernard Sarazin
added info

I installed an aux switch bank in my 2015 3500HD, ran the wires to the X50A and had backfeeding to the indicator lights. Also when the power was turned off sometimes the indicator lights would come on as soon as I turned off the key and they would stay on until the courtesy timing timed out. Other times they would stay dark. If I would press AUX4 sometimes the indicator lights for other switches would come on too and stay on until I turned off 4. With the addition of diodes all of this was totally resolved.

2 hours ago, TinkeringFox said:

I installed an aux switch bank in my 2015 3500HD, ran the wires to the X50A and had backfeeding to the indicator lights. Also when the power was turned off sometimes the indicator lights would come on as soon as I turned off the key and they would stay on until the courtesy timing timed out. Other times they would stay dark. If I would press AUX4 sometimes the indicator lights for other switches would come on too and stay on until I turned off 4. With the addition of diodes all of this was totally resolved.

right now without the wires going to X61A the light work as advertised.

they turn on and off when selected.

each switch supplies a ground for the relays at X50a 

Edited by Bernard Sarazin
missed a point

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking through this thread and if anyone would like a cheaper alternative to matching OEM while still making it look nice and clean here is an option. This is my plan.

This should keep everything still clean and you could run the wires through the 'Upfitter' hole in the steering column gasket as mentioned earlier and then wrap wires all in split loom and attach to firewall to keep wires out of the way and clean.

Haven't gone through and done this yet but in theory reading through this should be the same thing just a little cheaper alternative.

I also attached a quick wiring diagram to help.

I am open to ideas too if someone does not think it would work.

Final Schematic.pdf

Edited by cfields

1 hour ago, cfields said:

Been looking through this thread and if anyone would like a cheaper alternative to matching OEM while still making it look nice and clean here is an option. This is my plan.

This should keep everything still clean and you could run the wires through the 'Upfitter' hole in the steering column gasket as mentioned earlier and then wrap wires all in split loom and attach to firewall to keep wires out of the way and clean.

Haven't gone through and done this yet but in theory reading through this should be the same thing just a little cheaper alternative.

I also attached a quick wiring diagram to help.

I am open to ideas too if someone does not think it would work.

Final Schematic.pdf

That's basically exactly how I installed mine.  Been running with it for well over a year with no issues.  Even have the same 3 loads,  Front Lights, ditch lights, and rock lights.  I took it one step further and used the 4th switch to turn on the front , and ditch lights with the high beam when the aux button is activated.  To accomplish this I had to use a 5th relay.  

Schematic of mine.

OZU92Uc.png

• Like 1

That's basically exactly how I installed mine.  Been running with it for well over a year with no issues.  Even have the same 3 loads,  Front Lights, ditch lights, and rock lights.  I took it one step further and used the 4th switch to turn on the front , and ditch lights with the high beam when the aux button is activated.  To accomplish this I had to use a 5th relay.  

Schematic of mine.

OZU92Uc.png

How did you go about mounting the ditch lights? I am drafting up ideas now for mounting. I did find some from a company but they want like $160 just for the mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, cfields said:

How did you go about mounting the ditch lights? I am drafting up ideas now for mounting. I did find some from a company but they want like $160 just for the mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised how few options there are for ditch lights.  I'm only aware of the ZRoads Hood Hinge kit and SDHQ cowl mount ones.  Both are almost 200$ without lights.  

I ended up snagging a set of universal hood mounts on amazon for 12$ for the pair.  Had not seen anyone use them before so I gave them a try and they worked very well.

TmwmVHz.jpg

bcV2hc0.jpg

Ess8z83.jpg

NNFW38o.jpg

Lot more pics over on my build thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crazyjoker77 said:

I'm surprised how few options there are for ditch lights.  I'm only aware of the ZRoads Hood Hinge kit and SDHQ cowl mount ones.  Both are almost 200$ without lights.  

I ended up snagging a set of universal hood mounts on amazon for 12$ for the pair.  Had not seen anyone use them before so I gave them a try and they worked very well.

TmwmVHz.jpg

bcV2hc0.jpg

Ess8z83.jpg

NNFW38o.jpg

Lot more pics over on my build thread.

Look's Good

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2015 at 6:38 PM, smcgillis10 said:

Just got them. And my truck wasn't fitted for the switch so the wires aren't there. So the other post about the blue/green wires don't apply to all trucks. Only trucks with the option installed. So I soldered two connectors onto the board to get a connection point. Each connector has two wires and each wire will go to a different switch and relay. Pins 10-14 are for he aux switched. I'll post a pin out. c0df3b596b45e5f906ef35f0beaf93c9.jpg09a2996216424c446a1bb898f3ac4a0a.jpg41b1ff6b073613b0f667a3bd01b9dcda.jpg8c1932cd7d0e74aaae999e195812c640.jpgc1f5aea365d9f3a612ec63496f1cbf89.jpg29668bc92941f1cc93f786c2192ce79e.jpg

great write up but i wanted to ask one question where is the power wire for this switch bank is it the number 1 pin that is not shown in the schematic?

5 minutes ago, smcgillis10 said:

There isnt really a power wire. These are GROUND side switches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

so this is setup as a ground circuit switch so i would run the gnd wire from the upfitter pins and use the gnd wire on the relay to open and close the relay am i thinking the right way? also can i use just the regular 4 pin relays or do i have to use a different relay tia

Edited by 94yj