what tuner is best

I need a tuner, "canned tuner", that will work on 6.0 GM motor. Diablo has told me they do not support it yet and that is my usual route for all my trucks. What are my choices? Who has this engine combo in their HD Sierra?

I need a tuner, "canned tuner", that will work on 6.0 GM motor. Diablo has told me they do not support it yet and that is my usual route for all my trucks. What are my choices? Who has this engine combo in their HD Sierra?

Go to the HP Tuners forums......read.......read and soak up knowledge then make your choice custom vs canned, IMO HP Tuners is the best hands down, you'd be surprised how easy it is and you will always have the ability to change it anytime or on another future vehicle, I have been a HP Tuners user for 10 years I believe... damn good tool & it keeps getting better.

Edited by camcamaro1991

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone on this thread tuned their truck and taken it in for warranty repairs and been denied due to the tuner? If so, what parts are potentially voided of warranty by tuning?

Thanks!

Has anyone on this thread tuned their truck and taken it in for warranty repairs and been denied due to the tuner? If so, what parts are potentially voided of warranty by tuning?

Thanks!

I haven't had any issues with my truck. I have had it in for Recalls, and it was also in for a power steering failure all with my tune loaded. Didn't mention or even bring up the tune. I would imagine that if they detect the tune, your power train warranty is out the window. If your still in the 3 year/36k mile period, I don't think they'd void your warranty for say, your power window if you had a tune.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. I've got an extended warranty 6yr 100k bumper to bumper so I want to be sure to keep it intact. The lift could cause me some problems but 560plus (warranty lift company includes free with purchase of their system) backs powertrain if dealership doesn't honor warranty due to lift. I'm sure it all depends on the dealership and service techs you're dealing with if something comes up.

I think this has to do more with preference to the individual. I like going with what a local tuner would suggest compared to someone out of town. If there's an issue then I want to have the help in person. I currently bought an SCT X4 that is ok, but after doing more research with local tuner I will probably be selling that one and getting a Banks Automind. Each one has its perks so it's really up to you. I've read nothing but great things about Black Bear and their support.

• 3 months later...

Dang it man as fascinating as all this is I did not want to spend 100 hours researching tuning to become a expert. I want to set my AFM to only activate over 60 mph is there any hand held tuner that has that option? My problem is that at low speed when the AFM kicks in it makes my new GM Borla exhaust sound like a Huey helicopter has landed on the back of my truck. All good at highway speeds just very annoying at low speed. I like the idea of making some other tweaks too so open to suggestions/opinions......

Use the Hypertech Max Energy on my '15. Might need to get the Max Energy 2.0 to support the 2016. Posted a thread and shared info. Summary, Installed High Octane tune, then went back and rest to the regular fuel tune, both feel the same. I turned AFM completely off, it has the option to set minimum speeds to activate. Set tire diameter to new tires at 32" tall. Increased trans shift firmness by +50% and decreased shift points by -300 (to about 5200 for all shift points). I am very happy with the how it turned out. I got the Max Energy on local closeout for $247.00 which was a good buy.

I wasn't interested in playing with torque management or throttle position, which are the added functions you get with the 2.0. No complaints with the Hypertech.

I just ordered the autocal tuner set up from black bear performance. A lot of dudes are running that tuning software. It's all customized for your truck, it's modifications, and your driving style. I'll update everyone with how it all goes once it comes in. They send you the EFI Live data logger first so they can have something to go off of when optimizing the performance of your particular truck. Then I'll send them the data and they'll analyze it and create my tunes and email me the new tunes. It also includes free updates and new tunes if desired or if you add an exhaust let's say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the Hypertech Max Energy on my '15. Might need to get the Max Energy 2.0 to support the 2016. Posted a thread and shared info. Summary, Installed High Octane tune, then went back and rest to the regular fuel tune, both feel the same. I turned AFM completely off, it has the option to set minimum speeds to activate. Set tire diameter to new tires at 32" tall. Increased trans shift firmness by +50% and decreased shift points by -300 (to about 5200 for all shift points). I am very happy with the how it turned out. I got the Max Energy on local closeout for $247.00 which was a good buy.

I wasn't interested in playing with torque management or throttle position, which are the added functions you get with the 2.0. No complaints with the Hypertech.

Looks like the Hypertech is for me thanks for the tip. I ordered a

Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 Programmer

2016 GMC Sierra

(6.2L V8)

Part #: 2000 today with free overnight shipping so should be here tomorrow (about 300 bones). That is the only one I could find that had the minimum speed option for setting the AFM..Got to get that Huey Helicopter out of the bed of my truck LOL The new GM Borla exhaust does a pretty good job of masking the helicopter sound but it still annoys me at low speeds. I wanted to keep the AFM active at highway speeds to conserve fuel, hopefully this will work.

Good to hear, let us know how it works out. Looks like you got anice deal on the pricing also.

AutoAnything has a sale going plus free overnight shipping and no tax in TN so was a total out the door $314.00 I hope the thing turns out to be worthwhile I just think it is a really cool feature to be able to control the AFM so it only comes on at higher speeds. This is the only hand held tuner that I could find that does that, may be some others out there but they are well hidden LOL. A custom tuner probably has that ability? I do a good bit of interstate cruising and do appreciate the fuel conservation ability of the AFM might as well use it if you can. The ability to go back in and change anything that I want at anytime is very appealing to me also. KILL THAT HELICOPTER