DynoMax Cat-back system

Merry Christmas! I figured i'd share my experience with my purchase of the DynoMax cat-back system on my truck. First off, I forgot to take pictures during install. However, it was very straight forward. I'm planning on taking some pictures of it installed and a video

Personally, i wasn't going to spend $1,000 on a Corsa system, although i know they are a very high quality product. I'd been searching around for a stainless, cat-back, single exit system. I was almost set on buying an AFE system until i found the DynoMax system. I paid $290 for it shipped to my door from Jegs! http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/39529/10002/-1

All i wanted to was to ditch my factor muffler and resonator, get a better sound, and have a more free flowing exhaust. For the price, i thought it was a steal for a stainless system.

On to the install. Honestly, the hardest part was wiggling the stock system out, as i didn't want to cut it. I had the rear axle on jack stands to give myself more room under the truck. A buddy and I moved the system rearward to get the front of the exhaust cleared from the cross member and down on the ground. I discovered i didn't have enough room between the top of the axle and the frame cross member. With the truck still on jack stands, we lifted the trailer hitch to take the weight off the suspension, which gave me enough room to wiggle the resonator up over the axle and out the front. I installed the DynoMax system piece by piece, from the front to the rear. Super easy. 3 new clamps, 2 pieces of exhaust pipe, 1 muffler. Fit in the factory hangers with no problem. Installed the exhaust tip. Double checked the clamps. Fired it up, no leaks, sounds good. The tone is nice, but it is not aggressive as say a Flowmaster super 40. It is pretty tame in the higher RPM's. However, if anyone out there wants a cat back, stainless system at a good price, i'd order the DynoMax again and suggest it to others. Hope this helps those wanting a value exhaust system.

• 1 month later...

Merry Christmas! I figured i'd share my experience with my purchase of the DynoMax cat-back system on my truck. First off, I forgot to take pictures during install. However, it was very straight forward. I'm planning on taking some pictures of it installed and a video

Personally, i wasn't going to spend $1,000 on a Corsa system, although i know they are a very high quality product. I'd been searching around for a stainless, cat-back, single exit system. I was almost set on buying an AFE system until i found the DynoMax system. I paid $290 for it shipped to my door from Jegs! http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/39529/10002/-1

All i wanted to was to ditch my factor muffler and resonator, get a better sound, and have a more free flowing exhaust. For the price, i thought it was a steal for a stainless system.

On to the install. Honestly, the hardest part was wiggling the stock system out, as i didn't want to cut it. I had the rear axle on jack stands to give myself more room under the truck. A buddy and I moved the system rearward to get the front of the exhaust cleared from the cross member and down on the ground. I discovered i didn't have enough room between the top of the axle and the frame cross member. With the truck still on jack stands, we lifted the trailer hitch to take the weight off the suspension, which gave me enough room to wiggle the resonator up over the axle and out the front. I installed the DynoMax system piece by piece, from the front to the rear. Super easy. 3 new clamps, 2 pieces of exhaust pipe, 1 muffler. Fit in the factory hangers with no problem. Installed the exhaust tip. Double checked the clamps. Fired it up, no leaks, sounds good. The tone is nice, but it is not aggressive as say a Flowmaster super 40. It is pretty tame in the higher RPM's. However, if anyone out there wants a cat back, stainless system at a good price, i'd order the DynoMax again and suggest it to others. Hope this helps those wanting a value exhaust system.

So when you go into v4 mode, how does that sound. I used to have a Flowmaster Super 44 on my 2004 and absolutely loved it. Best exhaust ever. I would love to have the same-ish sound, but this v4 mode is new to me, and the drone that most complain about worries me to death. I don't want to hack up my less than 1000 mile truck and hate it. Any insight on the droning would be great. I have looked at the Dynomax VT muffler and system, but I don't know if that is too quiet for me or not. Thanks for your help. Love the green by the way.

So when you go into v4 mode, how does that sound. I used to have a Flowmaster Super 44 on my 2004 and absolutely loved it. Best exhaust ever. I would love to have the same-ish sound, but this v4 mode is new to me, and the drone that most complain about worries me to death. I don't want to hack up my less than 1000 mile truck and hate it. Any insight on the droning would be great. I have looked at the Dynomax VT muffler and system, but I don't know if that is too quiet for me or not. Thanks for your help. Love the green by the way.

I'd get the VT system. My buddy got the VT muffler for his 09 and it's actually louder, I think, than my truck. My truck sounds like it has a misfire when in V4 mode with this exhaust. It doesn't really bother me. I've pondered the idea of putting a super 40 muffler on or an 18" magnaflow. I like the sound of this dynomax, but it's not real loud. These new quiet cabins make it hard too, hides most of the exhaust noise.

Well I have the Super 44 single in/dual out on mine. I just had them take out everything from the muffler on back so no resonator or valve. Best sounding exhaust I've had and I finally found the perfect system for me. As for the V4 drone, to me it sounds more like the engine brake on a commercial truck, mostly on 18 wheelers. I don't mind it because I actually like the sound of an engine brake on a diesel lol. If that sound annoyed me I wouldn't have gotten my CDL A and tried out trucking lol. So if that sound wouldn't bother you then can't go wrong with the Super 44. The only bad thing is that it made me go from driving my new truck like grandpa (since the truck sounded like a Prius, I was able to drive like you're supposed to) to driving more normal of what I used to. So my mpg went down a tad, but that was just me lol.

After I found out the 3rd cat on these trucks are just hollow and wouldn't throw codes if removed because GM just made them all Cali legal, I though about removing it but I don't think it's hurting the sound or performance so I'll probably just leave it.

The 3rd cats are not hollow and do have the cat material and some packing. I did gut mine and only took 30 minutes but your right it did not change sound at all but had to improve flow a bit.

RT

Maybe I read someone's comment wrong or maybe they assumed it was hollow. I still think it's not monitored with o2 sensors like the front 2 are.

The Dynomax VT sounds better than the other video. Not sure if they are supposed to be similar or not. I always thought the VT was supposed to be a quieter exhaust, but it sounds pretty beefy in the video. And with the VT, I would assume there is no drone or anything like that.

The Dynomax VT sounds better than the other video. Not sure if they are supposed to be similar or not. I always thought the VT was supposed to be a quieter exhaust, but it sounds pretty beefy in the video. And with the VT, I would assume there is no drone or anything like that.

The VT is louder and less drone. The reason it's louder is the case of the muffler is much shorter.

hey tapper, where in fla are you located?

Just south of tampa in Hillsborough Co.

Nice, I appreciate the recommendation. I just ordered the VT catback system on summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-38531

I also went on the chat to ask for a military discount and they said they don't normally do that, but they gave me some money off. I got it for $338 shipped. It is special order, so it won't ship out for a couple weeks, but $338 is a pretty good deal in my opinion. Thanks again Ktapper. Will update this when I have some feedback from my install.

• 2 weeks later...

The VT is louder and less drone. The reason it's louder is the case of the muffler is much shorter.

Just south of tampa in Hillsborough Co.

So did you purchase their catback system, or did you just cut off the factory muffler and put a VT in it's place? Summit is telling me another two weeks minimum for my catback. Wondering if you just did the muffler as I could probably just purchase that and cut my factory exhaust and put that in it's place.

Archived