Torsion bar cranking vs. Ford keys

Hey all,

As you may know from my recent posts, I'm wanting to raise the front of my '02 Tahoe to level the truck some.  But I'm still a bit confused on something here...

When folks talk about installing Ford keys to raise the vehicle, are they ALSO cranking the torsion bars to acheive lift?  Specifically, I'm wondering what the difference is between 1) cranking on the torsion bars in a stock set-up and 2) adding Ford keys to the vehicle.

-  Are people adding the keys so that they can get MORE lift than just cranking the factory set-up -- that is, do you still have to crank the torsion bars with the Ford keys to actually acheive the lift, or are the Ford keys like SPACERS that add lift just by their installation?

-  Does adding Ford keys (as opposed to just cranking the torsion bars without them) put less strain on components than just cranking the torsion bars?

-  Does it make any sense to add the keys if I'd only like 1.5" or so of lift out of the front, or should I just crank the stock set-up?

Sorry for what are probably very silly questions!

Thanks!

-Kirk

the ford keys give you more lift.  You still crank the torsion bars on either setup

Ok, thanks.  Now, is it that you can just crank them FURTHER with the Ford keys?

For instance, in my Corvette, I had to put longer rear bolts in the suspension to lower the car BEYOND the amount I could lower it with the STOCK bolts.  With the longer bolts in the rear, I could lower it the SAME amount as with the stock bolts -- but I could also lower (you have the choice).

Now, it sounds like this is the same kind of situation with the Tahoe and the keys, yes?

-Kirk

I read on a post, which I cant remember that it doesnt really pay to get the keys.  Someone said that if you get the keys, you have to still crank the bars anyway.  I cranked my bars all the way and saved on the keys, have to get an alignment either way.

The advantage to using the Ford keys, is that on some trucks, if you only crank the torsion bars, it is possible to run out of adjustment before achieving the lift you need.  You may also run into the situation where one side is at the height you want after cranking with the standard keys, and when you go to crank the other side, you run out of adjustment before making things equal or level.  The Ford keys run around $22 each, so it's a judgement call if you want to spend the bucks and mess with swapping them out.  And yes, you still need to have the alignment checked and if it's out, have it adjusted.

You will not get any more lift with the Ford keys unless you do not have enough thread length in the factory bolts. The limiting rubber will only let the suspension drop so much and thats it.

If you crank the bars too far you will have no front suspension movement at all because the torsion bars will be holding the A-arm solidly against the rubber stop.

There is a limited amount of lift you can get, and it can be the same with both methods.

Mike

There is a limited amount of lift you can get, and it can be the same with both methods.

Aha!  Ok, thanks!  I didn't know this was the case.  It sounded to me from previous posts that the keys allowed you more "lift" through cranking the bars than without the keys.  

Since I'd only like @ 1" of lift or so, it sounds like I'll not be needing the keys...

Incidentally, what range of lift should I expect out of just cranking the bars in my '02 Tahoe?  1-3"?  1-2"?  Thanks!

-Kirk

• 2 weeks later...
After looking at my truck last week, I am going to get the ford keys. I have only about 3/4" of adjustment on one side and 3/8" on the other side. Now I just need to find the time to get them ordered. I have got to get this truck level.... tired of looking like a wedge.

Archived