Looking for an Aggressive All-Terrain with good tread wear.

5RWill

Toyos are heavy from what i can gather, that i'm not really worried about though. So according to a tire calculator i was using, because i'm not all familiar with just looking at the metric sizes and knowing what's what. P275/55/20R is what's on my truck...those are 31.9"? According to the site i was using less i measured something wrong. About to grab a tape measure, if that's the case they're plenty big. If i can find Toyo Open Country RTs in that size that's what i'll go for.

My truck is already pretty high also for a stock truck. I mean i actually use my running boards to step into the truck. It sits as tall if not taller than my brothers silverado with a 2" leveling kit on it.

I honestly think i'm just sold on the RTs. I just love the tire as least aesthetically speaking, it's the footprint i want. Next would have to be the ST Maxx, then the AT2s.

I'm running 285/60/18 General AT's E rated which are 12lbs heavier than the Bridgestone Dueler A/T (edit: the General's are 1" wider at the tread, have an extra 1/16th tread depth, and carry 900lbs MORE per tire). The Bridgestone would puncture if you went of a rock that couldn't cut your finger.... I experienced puncture wounds as follows:

1 curb rashed off the sidewalk rubber

3 punctures (2 nails 1 rock)

The dueler A/T wasn't worth a damn after 20,000 miles either... driving in rain was scary especially after 80,000 miles even though i had 1/3 of the tread left. I wouldn't put those 42lb P rated tires on any 1/2 ton truck again no matter how long they lasted.

I am beyond ecstatic with the Generals, i couldn't climb a curb with those P.O.S. Duelers but these generals climbed a 14" cheek wall in 2wd.

The LT or E rated tires have more ply's they hold 3,000lbs and if you use the truck to do work you'll appreciate the confidence they exude under max allowed loading.

I'll trade the 1mpg for safety anyday.

I had a flat going to work the other night. Some douche left a pallet in the middle of the highway and I didn't see it until I was too far up on it. Watched my psi hit 28 by the time I got to the hospital. Changed it at 7am after I got off of work.

Needless to say I'm ready to switch to the RTs. Of course I'm going to run these tires down. But as soon as they show wear I'm switching.

33s will only be 1.1" larger than the diameter of my current tire. So paired with a leveling kit I should have plenty of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking for an A/T that's a little more aggressive I'd take a look at the new BFG KO2. I don't know how the wear is going to be since I've only had mine for about a week but they have a much more aggressive side lug pattern than the last model. So far they ride great. have about 500 miles on them. A big bonus on the BFG is you can go to 4WD.com and get them super cheap. I got mine from them for $947 w free shipping. That was a 275/60r20. Im not sure about other sizes but they had the cheapest prices on the net.

Local guy is selling trail grapplers 295/55/20 with 200 miles on them for 250$. Freaking cheap for the tire.

Might talk to some friends see if I can get deals on those the RTs or the open country MT.

I like the KO2s alright kind of like the discoverer st maxx. Little more on the all terrain side than the rt. Or so it seems the big heavy lugged outer treads of the rt are huge and give it a great look to me.

I've seen many claiming 40000 plus on the toyo mt as well. My cousin got 55k out of his last set. But if I could scrounge up the money I would get the trail graps in a heart beat

• 4 weeks later...

Duratracs are growing on me as well after watching this review. I like the cooper ST Maxx but just don't know about them. It will likely be between the Duratracs in which i'd go 305/55/20 most likely, Toyo RT, or toyo/Nitto MT.

Anyone seen the Goodyear fiece attitude MTs? They actually look like a duratrac on steroids. They don't make them in 20" rim sizes though :(

FIERCE1345-790x790.jpg

Buddy of mine showed me these Kumho Road Venture MT KL71, which i can get for 33x12.5x20 for 293$ a tire. Reviews are decent and though it's classified as a mud it seems to be a super aggressive all terrain. Sure the big side lugs are representative of a mud terrain tire but the inner tread is very close together much like Firestone's destination MT, which is more like an all terrain to me. 33X12.5X20 is a little fatter than i wanted, 12.5" of width looks fat on a 33" tire to me. It would look more natural on a 34 or 35" tire. The size i preferably want is 295/55/20 but would take the 305/55/20 the duratracs offer or 33x12.5x20 for the RTs, Kumhos, etc.

We shall see i guess. These tires are getting pretty good reviews though, saw one where a guy was on his fourth set had 50k+ on three of them and 42K on one.

32-0809or_04_z+kumho_road_venture_mt_kl7

Archived