2.5inch level with 305/55R20 tires

Purplixx

I did have about 5k miles when I put the tires on. In the summer I get 15-16mpg with this setup, with winter gas in Iowa I have been closer to 13mpg lately. Averaging 80-85mpg on the highway (5 hours) I was around 12.5-13.0 mpg this past weekend for example.

Are those the LTs or the P-rated XL 305/55/20s? I am still getting 17-19 with my p-rated XL 305/55/20 G2s....

Thanks for confirming what load rating you guys are running, I'm leaning towards the P rated as well. Just don't see the need for extra load capacity when the truck isn't even rated for it, also thinking the P rated will ride a bit nicer.

That being said i find it surprising how different both of your mileage numbers are. Do you both have a 5.3L with 3.42 gears? that is what I am running so hoping to compare apples to apples. It seems to me I only average around 16-17mpg combined with stock tire size 275/55R20 and driving quite conservatively. Mind you I live in BC where every road and highway is up, down and around so even highway mileage can be pretty mediocre compared to highway miles on the midwestern interstates where you're on cruise control on flat ground with no corners for miles and miles.

Thanks for your replies!

With my current setup 33x12.5's Toyo RT and 2.5 inch level kit my MPGs are down 2-3. On the 14 with the 5100's set at max lift and Toyo Open Country AT2 295/55/20 the difference was only 1-1.5 MPGs lower.

I have only driven less than 600 miles with the current setup so I am not the best source for info.

Thanks for confirming what load rating you guys are running, I'm leaning towards the P rated as well. Just don't see the need for extra load capacity when the truck isn't even rated for it, also thinking the P rated will ride a bit nicer.

That being said i find it surprising how different both of your mileage numbers are. Do you both have a 5.3L with 3.42 gears? that is what I am running so hoping to compare apples to apples. It seems to me I only average around 16-17mpg combined with stock tire size 275/55R20 and driving quite conservatively. Mind you I live in BC where every road and highway is up, down and around so even highway mileage can be pretty mediocre compared to highway miles on the midwestern interstates where you're on cruise control on flat ground with no corners for miles and miles.

Thanks for your replies!

It is not mountainous but it is really hilly here in Iowa. I get better mileage around town than I do on the highway. I have a fairly heavy foot so that never helps either. The service guy that picked up my truck and drove it 2 hours for service (pre level/tires) got 22.4mpg on the trip.

It is not mountainous but it is really hilly here in Iowa. I get better mileage around town than I do on the highway. I have a fairly heavy foot so that never helps either. The service guy that picked up my truck and drove it 2 hours for service (pre level/tires) got 22.4mpg on the trip.

Better mileage around town than on the highway with oversize tires seems counter intuitive to me but I guess it depends how fast you drive on the highway... 80MPH is by no means optimal speed for economy so perhaps that's why!

I wish i could get 22mpg on the highway, that would be right around EPA rating for these trucks. best I have gotten so far is 13.5l/100km (approx 17.5MPG) on the highway averaging around 65mph with stock tire size and bone stock truck. They are winter tires but i cant imagine that taking 5mpg off! what gives?!

I can't speak for city/town/local driving in Iowa, as I only drive I-35 North/South on my few trips every year to southern Minnesota, but from central Oklahoma to southern Minnesota, Iowa is the most flat/straight/"long" portion of the drive... lol

Personal perception.

It's worse in the dry winter months with all the brown farmland. But when it snows it's beautiful to drive through.

We've got family in Cresco, Des Moines, and Iowa City though, and my family in MN always goes down to a butcher in Protivin for their meats.

Edited by Big Red 'Rado

I can't speak for city/town/local driving in Iowa, as I only drive I-35 North/South on my few trips every year to southern Minnesota, but from central Oklahoma to southern Minnesota, Iowa is the most flat/straight/"long" portion of the drive... lol

Personal perception.

It's worse in the dry winter months with all the brown farmland. But when it snows it's beautiful to drive through.

We've got family in Cresco, Des Moines, and Iowa City though, and my family in MN always goes down to a butcher in Protivin for their meats.

Definitely hillier east to west than north to south. I am usually driving from DSM to Chicago but the times I do drive to MN or Kansas City/Tulsa it is noticeably flatter. I wouldn't say I think MN or MO are very hilly (unless you are talking back highways in central MS then they get pretty steep). Perhaps I notice it more because I drive that route more too... just seems I can never use cruise cause it kicks into overdrive every 30 seconds...

I see you say Iowa City, from DM to IC it is pretty hilly once you start getting closer to IC...

Edited by Havvkeye

Definitely hillier east to west than north to south. I am usually driving from DSM to Chicago but the times I do drive to MN or Kansas City/Tulsa it is noticeably flatter. I wouldn't say I think MN or MO are very hilly (unless you are talking back highways in central MS then they get pretty steep). Perhaps I notice it more because I drive that route more too... just seems I can never use cruise cause it kicks into overdrive every 30 seconds...

I see you say Iowa City, from DM to IC it is pretty hilly once you start getting closer to IC...

The family gatherings are usually done at my grandparent's house in Rochester, MN. I've personally only driven on I-35 going through Iowa to get to my grandparents in MN, as that's where we stay when we take our trips up there. The times that we went down to Iowa households for family gatherings I was young and not driving, and likely wasn't paying much attention. I just know I-35 seems flat/straight when you're driving it. Could also be due to that being towards the end of my 10-11 hour drive.

I am only in MO for 45mins to an hour at most, just passing through when I-35 tips in and back out of the corner in Kansas City.

With my current setup 33x12.5's Toyo RT and 2.5 inch level kit my MPGs are down 2-3. On the 14 with the 5100's set at max lift and Toyo Open Country AT2 295/55/20 the difference was only 1-1.5 MPGs lower.

I have only driven less than 600 miles with the current setup so I am not the best source for info.

Those numbers for the AT2's sound pretty reasonable to me, I assume thats a long term average for that setup?

Those numbers for the AT2's sound pretty reasonable to me, I assume thats a long term average for that setup?

Cortez was averaging 17.2-17.4 on a 12 mile round trip commute at about 70mph with a single stop light over 2600-2800 miles on stock tires. After the 295/55/20 and 5100's on top setting mileage was at 15.9- 16.2 over next 6500 miles before I traded in to the current truck. Old truck was a 14 AT 6.2 with 6 speed transmission new is a 15 AT with 8 speed.

• 1 month later...

Just installed my setup; 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country ATII Extremes and RC 2.5" lift / level and found 2 bits of information for people out there;

1) Toyo rates this tire as 73lbs, I weighted them before mounting and they actually weigh around 63lbs - I find this very surprising.

2) There is definitely rubbing contrary to what others have said, The tire rubs on the sway bar at full lock (not felt liner) I will likely add some 1/4" spacers to get rid of this as its quite a rough rub due to the aggressive sidewall tread on this tire - perhaps that's why this tire rubs when others don't as the sidewall lugs do protrude a fair amount (but certainly not more than a Toyo MT which some report no rubbing with) . Its easy enough to avoid but i'm still not a huge fan of this as i'm sure it induces some pretty good strain on the front end when it rubs. Will let you guys know if the spacer cleans it up.