Post your 2014+ wheel/tire set-up

My tire size is 285/70/17. I did not recalibrate yet. I know the mpc difference and take that into account but my normal driving has dropped and I'm not pushing it

Mine dropped too. I have 275/70/18 so they're about the same height. Its the weight of the 10 ply tires mostly. Gearing is a little different, but in stop and go, the weight is the biggest thing. Mine dropped as well.

Only way to truly fix it is to go back to stock tires... NOT WORTH IT (in my opinion)

But you could get a custom tune from DiabLew, those seem to help a little bit.

Just dont let the dealership know you did it.

(Sorry in advance if this happens to be a dumb question)

Why do people seem to fret slightly when going from a 45lb tire to, say, a 60lb tire? I understand that it would take more to turn the wheel because of the added weight, but in the grand scheme of things, that's only an extra 60 lbs of weight added as a total (15lbsx4wheels).

But that 60 lbs of added weight is next to nothing, considering when you are driving alone you alone are adding 130-200lbs to the truck by your own weight.... then if you have at least one passenger (wife/significant other/friend), there's another 100-150 usually added to that. So why do people fret about adding 60lbs of unsprung weight to their truck when they already add 200-300lbs by getting in the vehicle?

Again, I apologize if it sounds dumb, that just happened to run through my mind the other night. If somebody could set me straight, that'd be fantastic.

• Like 1

(Sorry in advance if this happens to be a dumb question)

Why do people seem to fret slightly when going from a 45lb tire to, say, a 60lb tire? I understand that it would take more to turn the wheel because of the added weight, but in the grand scheme of things, that's only an extra 60 lbs of weight added as a total (15lbsx4wheels).

But that 60 lbs of added weight is next to nothing, considering when you are driving alone you alone are adding 130-200lbs to the truck by your own weight.... then if you have at least one passenger (wife/significant other/friend), there's another 100-150 usually added to that. So why do people fret about adding 60lbs of unsprung weight to their truck when they already add 200-300lbs by getting in the vehicle?

Again, I apologize if it sounds dumb, that just happened to run through my mind the other night. If somebody could set me straight, that'd be fantastic.

The rotating weight of the tires is not equal to adding weight into the pickup.

If you drive around on stock tires, then put another set on that adds 15lbs per tire, it is a VERY noticeable difference in acceleration because the truck is having to turn that much more weight.

If you were to just add 60 lbs into the truck, you wouldn't even notice. Even adding a few people into the vehicle isnt as easily noticeable in regards to performance and acceleration.

I race mountain bikes and in bike racing, you notice a VERY large change in the handling characteristics, acceleration and overall performance of the bike as soon as you drop weight in your wheels/tires/drivetrain (any rotating mass on the bike) because of the energy it takes to rotate that weight.

So in competitive racing you see people spending more money upgrading wheels than you do on most of the other components, because its the smarter place to put your money.

Edited by tyrich88
  • Like 2

Im running 305/65r 18 Nitto Terra Grapplers (33.58 x 12.30) on 18x9 Procomp series 32 wheels, 0 offset

3.5 RC lift and 1.5 zone BL and no rubbing what so ever

I thought about trying to squeeze those onto my truck for my next set... not sure if they will fit with just a 2" level and stock wheels (maybe +18 offset wheels if I find a good deal on the ones i want)

The rotating weight of the tires is not equal to adding weight into the pickup.

If you drive around on stock tires, then put another set on that adds 15lbs per tire, it is a VERY noticeable difference in acceleration because the truck is having to turn that much more weight.

If you were to just add 60 lbs into the truck, you wouldn't even notice. Even adding a few people into the vehicle isnt as easily noticeable in regards to performance and acceleration.

I race mountain bikes and in bike racing, you notice a VERY large change in the handling characteristics, acceleration and overall performance of the bike as soon as you drop weight in your wheels/tires/drivetrain (any rotating mass on the bike) because of the energy it takes to rotate that weight.

So in competitive racing you see people spending more money upgrading wheels than you do on most of the other components, because its the smarter place to put your money.

Thanks for the info, my thought process was spinning the tires with the weight "over" the tires would be similar to having the weight "in" the tires.

That makes sense, I appreciate you explaining that to me.

So in essence, would that result in excessively accelerated wear/tear on powertrain components? Drive shaft and axles used to turn the wheels? I would think not, since there are a ton of people that add that kind of weight change, sometimes more than that, to their trucks, but perhaps they just don't care because they don't keep it long enough to matter? If you have info on this as well, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks for the info, my thought process was spinning the tires with the weight "over" the tires would be similar to having the weight "in" the tires.

That makes sense, I appreciate you explaining that to me.

So in essence, would that result in excessively accelerated wear/tear on powertrain components? Drive shaft and axles used to turn the wheels? I would think not, since there are a ton of people that add that kind of weight change, sometimes more than that, to their trucks, but perhaps they just don't care because they don't keep it long enough to matter? If you have info on this as well, that'd be fantastic.

It would make sense that it does put more wear on, because it takes more effort to get the wheels moving. But... its clearly not enough to matter. I've been running 10 ply tires for a long time and never had an issue. I know a lot of others on here run 10 ply tires as well and those heavier/wider tires weigh significantly more, so if it were to actually cause a problem that fast, you would hear about it.

It would make sense that it does put more wear on, because it takes more effort to get the wheels moving. But... its clearly not enough to matter. I've been running 10 ply tires for a long time and never had an issue. I know a lot of others on here run 10 ply tires as well and those heavier/wider tires weigh significantly more, so if it were to actually cause a problem that fast, you would hear about it.

Thanks for the information!

• Like 1

20" Chrome OEM Replicas 20X9 on 275/60R20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2. No level, no rub. 4a5ea113454eda33248d2fa3c67a3494.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4