PF48/PF48E Redesign

Probably no real advantage to using the PF63, eh?

Thanks for the pics. It looks like the PF48E was designed with improved flow in mind?

Not really. Interestingly enough, GM has been running into issues with people putting PF48 on the new trucks (which use a PF63) and are running into low oil pressure concerns.

The PF48 oil filter will fit, but can cause the oil pressure to go low and DTC P0521 to set.

So, really it is worth just using the oil filter it calls for in the first place.

I have used the E core designs oil filters on several applications with no issues. I even cut some of them open to see what's going on after an oil change. I didn't see anything I need to be concerned about. Use them with confidence.

Pretty much. We've been slapping Delco PF48's on every Gen 4 small block and have had no problems.

• 3 months later...

Bumpity bump bump.

Got the chance to cut open three types of PF48 filters. A classic PF48, a PF48E and a UPF48R. Quite interesting to see the guts of them.

IMG_4258_zpsipnp8rix.jpg

PF48E:

IMG_4260_zpsu1qzraix.jpg

IMG_4261_zpsujigyus6.jpg

PF48:

IMG_4264_zpseksv5zw8.jpg

IMG_4267_zpsyg26bjj9.jpg

UPF48R:

IMG_4268_zps3mg81imj.jpg

IMG_4270_zpsjzotvglj.jpg

• 7 months later...

Thanks for those good cutaways. I think that UPF48R is an exact clone of the Mobil 1 filter that is spec'd for our trucks.

Wouldn't doubt it lol. I think the M1 are made by Champion Labs as well (M1, STP, Bosch, ACD, and others).

Archived