6.2 Exhaust, What do you have?

FYI:

Just got off the phone with Borla.

Asked a lot of questions and this is the info I got from them.......

The Borla 6.2L GM catback systems are as follows:

"ATAK" muffler series (the loudest ones):

Part #140572 & #140577

They have an MSRP of $1,174.00, but can be found cheaper online.

http://www.borla.com/products/silveradosierra_1500_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140572.html

http://www.borla.com/products/silveradosierra_1500_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140577.html

"S-Type" muffler series (medium loudness):

Part #140571 & #140576

http://www.borla.com/products/silveradosierra_1500_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140571.html

http://www.borla.com/products/silveradosierra_1500_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140576.html

"Touring" muffler series (least aggressive):

Part# 140570

http://www.borla.com/products/silveradosierra_1500_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140570.html

Unfortunately these are only available for the Crew Cab "Short Box" and not the Crew Cab "Standard box" like I have. I asked him whether they would be coming out with a CC Standard Box variant, but he said at this time it wasn't in the plans. This is probably due to the fact most people order the Short Box configuration with their Sierra Denali.

The system only comes in a straight back (out the bumper) or double tip behind the rear passenger tire configuration. There is no option for 45* or 90* dual rear exit. Unfortunate.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They also offer another system that has to be ordered through GM directly (or your local dealership).

It is GM part# 19303341 (for CC Standard Box) and has an MSRP of $1,249

It is only offered in their "touring" muffler, the mildest one they have.

All this news was quite upsetting. I really wanted a rear 45* exit with the "ATAK" muffler.

It looks like I'll be going the custom route and ordering the muffler I want and a stainless pipe kit to be custom bent by a muffler shop that uses a mandrel bending system.

Hope this info helps those looking.

I just picked up an installed the Corsa system. I have a friend with the borla and honestly, he and I both like the corsa better. Less drone in v4 and the note is throatier but they are both about the same loudness. If you really want to buy that borla, go for it and I will give you the extension my corsa came with for the crew cab std box. I have the short box and didn't use it. No reason why this extension wouldnt work for ya since I assume they go together in the same areas because of the mounts.

I just picked up an installed the Corsa system. I have a friend with the borla and honestly, he and I both like the corsa better. Less drone in v4 and the note is throatier but they are both about the same loudness. If you really want to buy that borla, go for it and I will give you the extension my corsa came with for the crew cab std box. I have the short box and didn't use it. No reason why this extension wouldnt work for ya since I assume they go together in the same areas because of the mounts.

Thanks for the info Tim.

I haven't gotten an exhaust yet, so your input is appreciated.

I was thinking the same thing, based off the clips online, but that's hard to tell unless you hear them both in person.

The drone is my big issue. It's nice to know the Corsa sounds better. Did you go with the straight back double exit or the single exit on the passenger side?

I was leaning towards the single exit, but I know those chrome tips will get thrashed by road debris and rocks.

Thanks for the info Tim.

I haven't gotten an exhaust yet, so your input is appreciated.

I was thinking the same thing, based off the clips online, but that's hard to tell unless you hear them both in person.

The drone is my big issue. It's nice to know the Corsa sounds better. Did you go with the straight back double exit or the single exit on the passenger side?

I was leaning towards the single exit, but I know those chrome tips will get thrashed by road debris and rocks.

No problem, Mark. I went with the dual tip side exit. Looks really clean, its not chrome either, its polished stainless so you always have the option to repolish if they get too trashed :)

• 8 months later...

I reinstalled my Magnaflow 12909 on my 15 AT 6.2 and had the exhaust guy cut the flapper as well but left the resonator. Sounds a little louder at start up and has a bit of helicopter sound in V4 mode but I can live with it. Sounds good when you get on it and just a hint of drone. Best part was muffler cost me only $130 last year plus $25 to install.

I reinstalled my Magnaflow 12909 on my 15 AT 6.2 and had the exhaust guy cut the flapper as well but left the resonator. Sounds a little louder at start up and has a bit of helicopter sound in V4 mode but I can live with it. Sounds good when you get on it and just a hint of drone. Best part was muffler cost me only $130 last year plus $25 to install.

Mine should be arriving today. Can't wait to get it put on!

Mine should be arriving today. Can't wait to get it put on!

BTW have your exhaust guy/shop take some measurements before cutting out the OE muffler, this time around the shop I used took there time and precisely cut out the original muffler.

They took into account that I wanted to flapper off and used a Sawzall.

The 12909 fit perfectly and FYI is full reversible so can install from either end.

IIRC the muffler went on offset side in (Front Facing) and center out (Facing to Back)

Muffler will cant slightly upward from front to rear.

No extra tubing or extensions required just watch them like a hawk as it easy for them to do a Hack Job.

Highly recommend you go to a privately owned shop with a good reputation for quality work.

Make sure they use a TIG welder to weld together as these will last basically for the life of truck.

Good luck!

I have the mbrp stainless exhaust cat back system. I am happy with the sound but not the quality. The stainless looks horrible. I emailed them and they said it is normal for surface rust to happen. I had my last aluminum exhaust for years and it looked better than this does after months. I guess I didn't get a polished stainless exhaust but would have thought it would have held up better.

BTW have your exhaust guy/shop take some measurements before cutting out the OE muffler, this time around the shop I used took there time and precisely cut out the original muffler.

They took into account that I wanted to flapper off and used a Sawzall.

The 12909 fit perfectly and FYI is full reversible so can install from either end.

IIRC the muffler went on offset side in (Front Facing) and center out (Facing to Back)

Muffler will cant slightly upward from front to rear.

No extra tubing or extensions required just watch them like a hawk as it easy for them to do a Hack Job

Sounds about the same as they ended up doing for me. Sounds great.

Man, so many people are concerned with drone I just don't get it. I don't hear it I guess. My magnaflow on my 6.2 is pretty loud but I want way louder, so I am getting an Electric cutout first, for Full race volume, and then a Borla ATAK later to replace the magnaflow. Borla ATAK is alot louder than any Corsa too.

I just don't see the reason to buy an exhaust but want it to be whisper quiet inside lol that's funny to me.

• Like 1

Man, so many people are concerned with drone I just don't get it. I don't hear it I guess. My magnaflow on my 6.2 is pretty loud but I want way louder, so I am getting an Electric cutout first, for Full race volume, and then a Borla ATAK later to replace the magnaflow. Borla ATAK is alot louder than any Corsa too.

I just don't see the reason to buy an exhaust but want it to be whisper quiet inside lol that's funny to me.

I'm looking at getting an electric cutout for my truck too. Tbh my biggest fear is it won't be loud enough when it's open lol.

I'm looking at getting an electric cutout for my truck too. Tbh my biggest fear is it won't be loud enough when it's open lol.

Ya thats what Im saying. But I watched several videos on youtube of the QTP electric Cutouts and they practically double the loudness of an exhaust and sound mean.

I want the guy next me to me to piss his pants whan I get on the 6.2 haha

Ya thats what Im saying. But I watched several videos on youtube of the QTP electric Cutouts and they practically double the loudness of an exhaust and sound mean.

Right haha, where were they placed? I'm thinking about placing mine right after the third cat. Basically like having no muffler if I'm correct.

I had a set of QTP on my GTO and those things were only good for a few weeks before the motors went to shit.