6.2 Exhaust, What do you have?

I gotta say I'm not too pleased with the customer service I've received from Corsa so far. I left them a voicemail last week and have yet to hear back from them.

I may be swaying towards the GM Borla system, just hope it's loud enough for my tastes.

I take it the Borla touring exhaust is the mildest one? I don't want it really loud, as I have a Denali and have my family with me a lot in the truck. I also don't want it to sound so weak it's barely a tone over stock.

If only I could hear a 6.2 Borla or Corsa in person. I wish they would install them on dealer trucks so we could hear them in person.

I'll try to make a recording of my GM Borla exhaust today or tomorrow and then, if I can figure out how to post it here, maybe you can get an idea of the sound.

• Like 1

This is my GM Borla at start up... don't know how to embed the video... anyone?

I'll try to get some interior and exterior driving sound clips...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21136941/20140702_141254.mp4

that's what I want thanks for postin

is it much louder in cab with the windows up thanks terry

This is my GM Borla at start up... don't know how to embed the video... anyone?

I'll try to get some interior and exterior driving sound clips...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21136941/20140702_141254.mp4

Thanks for the video.

So this is the GM touring exhaust, yes?

This sounds a lot better than I anticipated.

I like the look of that black chrome as well.

I was pretty impressed after all the chatter here about how subdued it would sound... granted I never heard my truck with the stock exhaust on it so maybe it isn't that much better.

Not sure if they call it touring or not... it seemed a lot louder today after I installed the Airaid CAI... might have been the big old foot in it all the time though! :driving:

I'll do some interior sound recording, I think it's nice on the ears but still gets the heart pumping!

I decided to take a chance yesterday and I pulled the muffler. The ONLY thing I did was pull the muffler, and inserted a stick of 3" pipe. I have a late 6.2L, so the piping is all 3.5", but shops around here don't carry that. Besides, the muffler and the flapper are both 3"...so why the larger pipe? I don't get it, but oh well. Again, I left EVERYTHING else including the flapper.

Here's my impression.

• First, hands down this is THE cheapest way to get a little noise, period. ~$40 and you're good to go. If you're considering a $1,200 exhaust...seriously try this first.
  • NO DRONE AT ALL. Zero. Zilch. Nadda. I only have about 75 miles on it, but I never detected even the slightest hint of drone. Windows up/down, any speed, any load, you name it.
  • At cruise and idle it's juuuuuust a tad louder than stock. At 70 on the highway, cruise, no radio, I would never have guessed that anything had been touched. I very seriously doubt anyone would assume otherwise as I'm quite familiar with the sound and I wouldn't have noticed unless I already knew and was listening for it. At idle, by the pipe, it's a little more throaty. But even my exhaust dude was almost confused since it still sounded stock to him when he just KNEW "that big 6.2 is gonna be super loud!".
  • Under load (accelerating, etc.) the sound level inside and out definitely picks up. Still nothing close to loud. As a comparison, my wife's Bonneville GXP is louder and it's bone stock. There's just still so much "stuff" in this exhaust the noise never has a chance. At full tilt, it has a rather satisfying sound IMHO.
  • Sounds much more like a hot sports car than a truck. Smooth and mellow. No cackling, popping, etc. Not sure if it's the pipe, resonator or what, but smooth and mellow is the only way I can describe it. Other than maybe a bit more throaty/meaty, it's essentially the stock sound but louder under throttle. Which, for me was perfect as I liked the way it sounded stock, just waaaay too quite.
  • Mileage? Well, jury is out. Only have a few miles on it, so I'm not passing judgement yet. BUT, I took my usual path home on the commute, typical traffic, etc. I always always get right about 20, but yesterday I got a tick over 21. Might just be coincidence. On the ~20 mi drive from the shop I actually had 22 mpg. Which seems odd since I seriously flogged the piss out of it. Either way, doesn't seemed to have hurt it any.

Downsides? Well, if you want it loud, you're going to need to get more aggressive. I actually ran for a while with the entire catback removed, and even that wasn't overly loud outside the truck. Problem was the dump right under the cab.

I did notice a bit of what I think was flapper noise when revved at idle. To be fair, it could have just been the cold, new pipes ticking a bit, not sure. I'll do some more playing around with it, but I suspect that the less restricted path along with the flapper is making the flapper "flap around" more aggressively and literally slamming it full open/full closed with prejudice. This would explain what I was hearing. Kinda a tick/ping with an associated whooshing noise. But barely perceptible. I was really listening hard for anything I didn't approve of. And I only heard this at the tailpipe, can't hear elsewhere. I'll probably band clamp it open and see if it drones. If it doesn't and the tick goes away, I'll just pull the flapper.

I left the flapper in for a couple of reasons. 1 - It's never given me any issues, 2 - I was hoping it would quell any possible drone and 3 - who knows, maybe it does give V4 a bit more torque. Well it doesn't drone at all, but I don't know 100% for certain that I can attribute this to the flapper still in place.

Assuming all goes well the next week or so, the next step is a Y and duals out the back.

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify a bunch of earlier posts, the borla cat back systems sold by gm / gmpp are made for all models and have seperate tip options, they sound close to borlas touring exhaust sound . 1249 + tips. Those systems made exclusively for gm and have a flapper valve built in.

The exhaust sold on Borla website are different and the have 3 sound types and tips welded on. I ordered the ATAK for 6.2 a month ago for $1151 free shipping, i still have not got it due to mine will be the 1st produced as per Borla rep, they plan on making it on the 18th and I should have by the 30th. I will post video and give you guys feedback as soon as I get it.

i just got a email form auto anything they said they put off my order again wont be shipped till the 8th i just canceled my order i dont know what Borla is doing but pissing me off

The thing that confuses me is this whole flapper valve issue.

I believe someone mentioned it is for the V4 mode, to prevent drone.

Does anyone out there with a 6.2L and non-OEM Borla exhaust notice a major drone issue with V4 mode?

I'm still leaning towards the Corsa system, but I really really do not want drone, it would be a major issue for me.

i just got a email form auto anything they said they put off my order again wont be shipped till the 8th i just canceled my order i dont know what Borla is doing but pissing me off

Mine shipped today, got it for $1008, used price match auto anything from LMProformace and they beat it by a couple bucks, supposed to arrive tuesday

Got similar email and before I could respond got a shipment confirmation

Edited by bruklnboy

i got pissed after 2 email of delays i said the hell with it i know its not there fault i have a 6.2 ccstb i bought a 2 foot piece of 3.5 to add to it to fit my truck i think ill wait for borla to come out with the one for my truck instead of piecing it in

Mine shipped today, got it for $1008, used price match auto anything from LMProformace and they beat it by a couple bucks, supposed to arrive tuesday

Got similar email and before I could respond got a shipment confirmation

what one did you get

i got pissed after 2 email of delays i said the hell with it i know its not there fault i have a 6.2 ccstb i bought a 2 foot piece of 3.5 to add to it to fit my truck i think ill wait for borla to come out with the one for my truck instead of piecing it in

what one did you get

140572 Atak split rear exit for dc, just checked fedex and should arrive sat, i kno your pain, I ordered 6/5

Edited by bruklnboy