6.2 Exhaust, What do you have?

Thanks Ctay,

And for you and others that have simply just deleted the muffler, did you notice any change in performance? Good, bad, or the same?

Also, does anyone see any potential problem with this muffler delete set-up in the long term?

It has a little more pep when you've got the RPM's in a good spot for sure. Maybe a tad weaker on the bottom end. maybe.

Good question on long-term. Can't really say for certain. That was part of the reason for leaving the flapper on instead of removing though.

I had a Flowmaster Super 10 dumped after my rear axle on my '07 5.3 with a 5" tip.. It wasn't too loud or too raspy. A solid deep tone, I loved it. Now, on my 6.2L, I don't think I wanna do that, especially living in an apartment complex right now. Everyone would hate me for sure. So, I'm thinking going with a Borla or Magnaflow muffler only & deleting the flapper and resonator.

Just don't have the money to dump on a whole catback system. If so, I would get the Borla S type or Corsa Sport.

The choices for a deeper mellow tune and reasonable sounding cold starts with a 6.2 are Flowmaster 53553 or Magnaflow 12909/14909 deleting the flapper but leaving the resonator. Less chance the neighbors will bitch or do something worse to your truck.

Pulled the trigger on the muffler delete last week. I left the flapper and resonator in place. (Could always be removed later, but doubt I will). Sound was exactly what I was looking for, actually sounds like a 6.2L V8 now. I definitely would not want it any louder, but it is certainly not too loud for neighborhood travel if you keep it below about 2k rpm. However, a hard acceleration would likely wake the neighbors. Inside the cab is very comfortable with only minimal increased volume, the noise cancellation of these trucks is amazing. After putting ~200 miles on the new set up at various speeds I'm comfortable saying absolutely no drone in V4 or V8. And to my surprise, the helicopter V4 noise is gone.

As far as performance, I don't feel much has changed. Haven't done a full throttle acceleration from a stop or slow rolling to say for sure about lower end, but upper rpms feel about the same.

MPGs virtually unchanged during my approximately 50/50 city/hwy drive.

Overall I am very happy and do not plan on changing anything.

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2017 at 8:07 AM, Krusty said:

Still on the fence myself for my 6.2L rig - found this info yesterday - leaning towards leaving the flapper and resonator and doing a muffler swap for the Flowmaster Big Block 50..... which would be very similar to the 70 featured here:

Interior & Exterior Sound Comparison Article & Video - Five of Flowmaster’s Popular Series of Performance Mufflers:

Super 10

Super 40

Super 44

50 Series Delta Flow

70 Series Big Block II

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/exhaust/sound-comparison-of-five-of-flowmaster%E2%80%99s-popular-series-of-performance-mufflers/

Flowmaster Tech Video:

Did you install? If so how do you like it? 

I'm trying to decide what to put on my '17 Silverado LTZ 6.2. stock is just.way to quiet 

On 5/3/2016 at 8:04 PM, Badass69 said:

I'm switching now... MBRP is junk ... it just wants to rot away. Being replaced now with a Borla ATAK that splits to duals exiting under the bumper.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalkhows the Borla atak ? I'm leaning twords this with my 6.2. just don't want it to be annoying loud. 

11 minutes ago, Detroit_vs_Everyone said:

Did you install? If so how do you like it? 

I'm trying to decide what to put on my '17 Silverado LTZ 6.2. stock is just.way to quiet 

Yes - 15,000 miles and 2 years on the FlowMaster 50 Big Block #53553 and loving it.........  Flapper removed.........  Drive in manual mode 7th gear when not on the highway..........  For more details click on the link in my sig.........

Edited by Krusty

Borla ATAK...loud on cold start and when you want it to be. Quietness is subjective but it can be pretty quiet too. Was at the dealership getting headlight changed and the service manager asked me to give it a little juice...I obliged and heads were turning...of course I was under the service area drop off and that enhanced the sound but it’s a sweet sound.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SS502 said:

Borla ATAK...loud on cold start and when you want it to be. Quietness is subjective but it can be pretty quiet too. Was at the dealership getting headlight changed and the service manager asked me to give it a little juice...I obliged and heads were turning...of course I was under the service area drop off and that enhanced the sound but it’s a sweet sound.

Did you just do the ATAK muffler, or did you remove the flapper, and or resonator? 

On 1/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, DenaliX14 said:

This is a Texas Speed and Performance 1 7/8 Headers to 3.5" full exhaust with Cal Cats. The Muffler is a Flowmaster Proseries. 

Very similar to my setup. I have Kooks 1 7/8 headers, cat less y pipe, into pro series muffler. I had Corsa sport cat back, but removed the Corsa muffler and put the pro series in its place. Love the sound! Do you have any “raspy” noise around 2000-3000 rpm? That’s the only spot it sounds off. 

59 minutes ago, drentlaw1 said:

Very similar to my setup. I have Kooks 1 7/8 headers, cat less y pipe, into pro series muffler. I had Corsa sport cat back, but removed the Corsa muffler and put the pro series in its place. Love the sound! Do you have any “raspy” noise around 2000-3000 rpm? That’s the only spot it sounds off. 

I also had corsa’s sport exhaust. I didn’t like it either. No I don’t have any raspy sounds. No drone. Nice deep rawr.