Service Theft Deterrent System?

Anyone find a resolution? The battery went dead and now remote start doesn’t work (always had original one that came with truck). Now service theft comes on. So frustrating when I purchased the truck new in 2015 and now the warranty is out. I have always used original key that came with truck as well.

I bought a used 2015 Sierra about a year ago.  I had absolutely no issues until I took the truck in for service which included a recall (a year later with no previous issues).  About 2 weeks after service, I encountered the Theft Deterrent System light, power flickered, clock reset, and the vehicle wouldn't start.  I pulled back the key, waited, and tried again.  It finally started, but the dash light (vehicle with lock) remained on.  The next time I turned it on, everything was working.

I took the truck back to the dealership.  They verified my battery was working perfectly, but they found a random wire that they said was causing a short.  After 2 hours waiting at the shop, they rerouted this wire and sent me on my way.

Today, it happened again.  Same symptoms.  Same outcome.  I am getting irritated with something that seems to be so simple.  I actually installed a FIXD device a few days ago.  When this happened, I had the app scan for codes.  No alerts!  Nothing.  I did it a couple more times, but still nothing.  The app allows for submitting for unlisted codes, but it only allows for choosing from a limited list of dash lights which did not include this one.

image1.jpeg

Edited by kryptoknight
spelling & added image

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 11:35 AM, Nurse30153 said:

Anyone find a resolution? The battery went dead and now remote start doesn’t work (always had original one that came with truck). Now service theft comes on. So frustrating when I purchased the truck new in 2015 and now the warranty is out. I have always used original key that came with truck as well.

I am just now researching this issue, but I wonder if the GM mechanic messed something up during one of my services.  I had it a year before any issues arose.

I have a 2013 GMC Sierra.  For the past several months I have had the same intermittent problem with it not wanting to start.  Both are original keys.  At first I thought it was an issue with 1 of the keys that maybe the chip inside was failing, but after talking to the service guys at the dealership they said there is no chip, it's just a key.  I started using the 2nd key and didn't have any more problems...until last night.  It didn't start again.  I thought maybe the starter was going bad so I banged on it but that didn't help.  Then I noticed the symbol and message on the dash about checking the theft deterrent system.  I disconnected the battery for a couple minutes and then reconnected it to see if that would reboot everything.  It didn't help.  I tried using the remote start but still nothing.  After dozens of tries locking and unlocking the truck and trying to start it, it finally started (about a half hour after it first wouldn't).  Each time it wouldn't start over the past several months it would take 20 to 30 minutes and dozens of tries before it would finally start.  I could take it in to the dealer but I'm afraid they will find nothing wrong as long as the problem is not occurring.  Any real answers would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

i have had this issue random no start,went over all grounds,grounds under front dash panel,had GM dealer reprogram both fobs and three keys,worked good for three weeks then out of no where it would not start after sitting for less then three minutes,stopped for gas this morning,would not start after filling tank,remote start would work till putting key in and turning on stalled.got out of truck hit lock three times and unlosk three times on remote and it started.WTF.contacted GM looking into it.They have a problem with 14 thru17 with this happening.they need to fix this problem,they built the thing.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dealership had to reprogram both keys. It was almost as if the truck just deleted them. I don't have the original paperwork as I traded the truck about two years ago so I don't know exactly what they put on there.

• 1 year later...

Still no fix for this? Com'on GM. Makes me not want to upgrade to a new GM truck when I trade this one in soon...

Having same issues with my '15 Silverado, but the most worrisome aren't listed enough so I'm emphasizing them... The damn truck dies (briefly) running down the highway when I use my turn signal and dies or almost dies when I make slow moving turns (i.e. in parking lots, driveways, etc). Also notice headlights dim a lot when experiencing this behavior.

Been struggling with this for the better part of a year. Very intermittent, sometimes I've gone months with no issue, sometimes, it happens multiple times in one day.

For me, the most likely explanation seems to be some kind of wiring issue or battery terminal connections. The last 3 or 4 times I have had immediate success after popping the hood, knocking hard a few times on the plastic housing mounted on top of my battery, then slamming my hood shut. As a bonus, it's also a nice way to relieve some of the frustration from the situation. Hopefully this helps save someone from wasting money on a new battery or tow!

• 3 months later...

New to the forum. Thanks for sharing all your stories! We bought this last year and this has occurred about two dozen times. Haven't panicked yet, as it always starts after a second attempt. Sometimes the radio is on a null station, sometimes the clock loses time. Just that hesitation to start like a dead battery, and all the dealership could do was sell us a new battery. Okay, like many have said, and we did at the time, a new battery is better than an aging one...shrug. But no change in this symptoms. We haven't been stuck by it, and have taken it to Florida and the Poconos numerous times. The only aftermarket wiring I can find was the hookup for a sat phone or something that's not in there, just the dock in the center console, so it's not pulling any current, just created a leak in the third brake light housing through which they ran the antenna wire! I like the corroded wiring at the starter motor in an earlier post; I'll look there. But why do current-pulling issues work backward to the system that verifies the key is correct? Once it gets that signal shouldn't it be satisfied and get outta the way?

• 10 months later...

I have a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado and my theft deterrent light comes on, no power at all. If I move my driver seat , my power comes on and I'm able to start the truck, but will loose power while slowly turning. Not throwing any codes.

• 1 month later...