Adding Remote Entry / Remote Start Options

Hello all,

Picked up my 2014 Sierra yesterday. It is a basic model with 4x4 / 5.3L V8. It does have power locks / power windows, however I don't have keyless entry or remote start. I have been looking at simple aftermarket setups like a Viper with remote unlock, possibly one with remote start. My question is what is required to get one of these functioning on the new trucks? I get the feeling its not as easy as just ordering the kit from Viper. Are there bypasses required for installation?

Thanks for your help

Have you checked with the dealer for a remote start kit? I'm not 100% on GMs but on Dodge if it has power lock we can add a remote start system that comes with 2 keys. Could be another possible route.

OnStar has a "Remote Link" app for you smartphone that provides remote start and keyless entry. If you use the app during the 90 day OnStar trial period it unlocks this app for 5 years, no charge. At least that is how it reads. Granted it doesn't respond real fast over the cell network so it wouldn't really be ideal for everyday keyless entry. But the remote start is sure worth it!

Just an option.

PS. This is for Canada... I would assume a similar deal in the U.S.

If you don't have keyless entry then the oem remote start will not work. You need keyless entry in order for oem remote start to work. Oem remote start goes for $350 installed from the dealer I know this because there's another thread where we discussed this and I did the remote start on my 2wt with keyless entry.

Wicked Galaxy Note 3

Best bet is go with Viper alarm, also Onstar will not update my app to have the remote start button they said " we cannot do anything because your truck didn't come with Remote Start". Regardless I still used the app and now have it free for 5 years.

Wicked Galaxy Note 3

If you don't have keyless entry then the oem remote start will not work. You need keyless entry in order for oem remote start to work. Oem remote start goes for $350 installed from the dealer I know this because there's another thread where we discussed this and I did the remote start on my 2wt with keyless entry. Wicked Galaxy Note 3

Yes sir, I was reading your thread in the days before I picked her up. The radio I have is barebones (no XM even, which was a shock to me) so no OnStar in er either. I am definitely enticed by the Viper systems, as it looks like I can get remote unlock and remote start for around a hundred bucks self install. That's what makes me think its too good to be true and I will need to buy some other module or bypass to get a Viper running. I honestly could get by with just the remote unlock, and I've heard enough horror stories about aftermarket alarms that I will stay away from the alarm systems.

I do live in Canada, for the other comment.

Basically I am trying to stay away from having to hit the dealer for expensive add ons and looking to do something myself. I sent an email to Viper about it but have yet to hear back. I will see if I can find a number for them tomorrow. I hate to go pick a car audio shop's brain about it when I know I want to do it myself

Still open to hear if anyone has put a Viper on

Thanks

My brother in law has the Viper alarm on his 08 Sierra, he paid close to $500 installed and he hasn't had an issue for almost 4 years until recently that his truck wouldn't turn off when the key was off the ignition and it was the Viper alarm causing it.

Wicked Galaxy Note 3

Archived