Impressions on the 4.3L V6

I've had a 4.3l Z71 double cab 3-4 months now and have a very positive opinion of it.

My weekly towing is a 17'8" aluminum boat with a 150hp four stroke outboard on the back, around 2300lbs + trailer . No problems whatsoever towing that, barely notice the difference between the 4.3l and the 2010 5.3l I replaced. I towed from Southern Wisconsin to Northern Wisconsin over the Memorial Day weekend, only kicked down to the 4000 RPM gear at the same two spots the 5.3l used to

This motor hits it's hp and torque peak at 4000 RPMs, much lower than the car engines in RAM and Ford V6 trucks. It's a very drivable engine, gets me 90% of the power of my 2010 5.3l V8 with much better mileage.

The only downside I can find to it is the new 5.3l has much more power and delivers around the same fuel economy from what I see, but my guess is people will be able to negotiate better deals on the V6.

I saw sales of it have jumped from 5% in 2013 to 20% in 2014, so it's a success for GM in sales.

Drives VERY quiet, and my last check of mileage was 20.7mpg for about 70% hwy/30% city combined.

• 1 month later...

I traded my '14 5.3L for a '14 4.3L. There is definitely a power difference. But I'm never going to pull a 12000 lbs tractor, so a 4.3L is perfect. Better mpg, cheaper, can still tow a fully loaded large uhaul trailer..... just not as much power. But I'm not racing it, so the v6 is perfect!

Love mine. Once you get past the "its only a v6" fear you realize what a great motor they built. Plenty of power and better gas mileage. Loved my 5.3 in my 2008 sierra SLT but have no regrets with this motor yet.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree the 6 is just right in my reg cab 4x4 plenty of umph when you need it . Good mileage and although not as " refined " as the dodge 3.6 in my wife's Durango it is a great engine and no complaints so far. evene9et.jpg life time stats

This tank all city stop and go asygu7yv.jpg

Edited by BillsLT

6uzydeqy.jpg

I'm not liking this gas millage right now! It is great when driving, but I like to sit in my truck sometimes. I brought my truck in to the dealer for a wash and detail. They drove 1 mile and my average MPG was 19 when I dropped it off. It when down 2 mpg. And if does this every time I sit in it running. When I get in and drive to work in the morning, I get 24+ mpg on the hwy, then over

The duration of the day (city'ish driving around Ft Bliss) it will drop down to 15 mpg, which brings my average way down!!!

Go Army! GO ORDNANCE!!!

Love mine. Once you get past the "its only a v6" fear you realize what a great motor they built. Plenty of power and better gas mileage. Loved my 5.3 in my 2008 sierra SLT but have no regrets with this motor yet.

I've heard from people who went from an 07-08 4spd 5.3L that they noticed very little difference. Did you find the same?

I've heard from people who went from an 07-08 4spd 5.3L that they noticed very little difference. Did you find the same?

The transmission is different but similar to my Acadia. Not better or worse in my opinion just different. I was used to one transmission and how it shifted and when (my 08 SLT 5.3). As far as power goes its a smaller motor with less horsepower so there is a difference but honestly it moves this 1500 with zero effort. I'm really impressed with it so far.

The transmission is different but similar to my Acadia. Not better or worse in my opinion just different. I was used to one transmission and how it shifted and when (my 08 SLT 5.3). As far as power goes its a smaller motor with less horsepower so there is a difference but honestly it moves this 1500 with zero effort. I'm really impressed with it so far.

Sounds promising! I'm looking into a new truck within the next year and sitting on the fence between a Silverado 5.3 V8, 4.3 V6 and a Colorado 3.6 V6

Sounds promising! I'm looking into a new truck within the next year and sitting on the fence between a Silverado 5.3 V8, 4.3 V6 and a Colorado 3.6 V6

Well at the very least I would say go with a Silverado but as far as motor, that's tougher than you would think now.

Or how about a 2016 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L Duramax... I will definitely test drive one when they arrive at dealerships next fall or winter!!!

The only time i regret not getting the 5.3L is when i get on the gas and hear the rasp after 4k+ RPM's after installing flowmaster exhaust. Have some resonator exhaust tips coming in on wednesday so hopefully that fixes some of the rasp. Otherwise love my 4.3L. But like one said once you get over the "its only a v6" thoughts its wonderful

The only time i regret not getting the 5.3L is when i get on the gas and hear the rasp after 4k+ RPM's after installing flowmaster exhaust. Have some resonator exhaust tips coming in on wednesday so hopefully that fixes some of the rasp. Otherwise love my 4.3L. But like one said once you get over the "its only a v6" thoughts its wonderful

haha...I can def see having the "it's only a V6" thoughts...first thing that came to my mind..

I was regretting it until I filled up with top tier 91octane and am averaging 20 around town and 25+ on the hwy.... And.... Apparently because of my gears, I can tow more weight than my '14 5.3L with the 3.08 gears! (So I've read on these forums)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let it run to about empty, fill up with E85, and tell us if you can tell the difference between this and the 5.3l.

I've been running E85 and loving it. 300 hp, 330 lbs torque, compared to the 315/335 I used to have with the 5.3l.

Just be sure you drive 10 miles after the first E85 fill up to give the motor time to re-set to use it.

You'll get 20% less mpg, but the E85 costs about 20% less. (and I personally prefer supporting American farmers to foreign oil exporters)

The 4.3 puts out 285hp and 305ft/lbs

My current truck (f150 w/4.6L) puts out 292 hp and 320ft/lbs.

The difference in performance between these motors isn't much, and i think the f150 weighs more.

I pull a 5000lb (about, loaded) utility trailer with my 150. It struggles a bit on big hills now that i put 33s on it, but can still hold highway speed.

This 4.3 motor would be a great choice if you are not going to tow more than 5000.

some math: it has 50% more power, and 22% more torque than the old s-10 4.3L

My 5.3 has 285 hp :(