Turbocharger vs Supercharger

Yeah 1000tq easy. Hp gonna take more than that lol.

If I was going boosted, I'd trade my truck on a clean LBZ haha. Best power for the money by far.

But as far as boost on a gas pickup, I'd go magnacharger. Easy to tune and I love the sound under throttle.

Deleted LML are actually faster cuz you can run a bigger tune without tranny limps...LBZ are good but after 450rwhp you will run into tranny issues. It's not if it's when. LML tranny can handle 500 with a shift kit and no de-fuelling while shifting

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11? I wish man!The last person in my family to do a diesel was my nephew. He had an 05 4x4 Ram, it was lifted look similar to yours. He had about 5k in the engine same in the trans. He race at leased once a month, ran low 11s. He is a pipeline inspector drove it up and down pipelines every day. Some one offer him more than he had in it so its gone now.

Little more than 5 grand to take that 5.9 into 1000+ HP category...

It was almost 10 years ago boys, not in today's dollars. Geez. He was in some 4x4 mags back then too. He would race with his dad who races a little red express truck, he bought new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now that this shlong swinging contest is over….you did get me on ur car tho i give ya that :crackup: . i wanna know more about ur car man, you cant post a video ike that and not tell me! that second video that track looks friggin awesome and the car sounds awesme too!

Thanks. Sure:

It has been my "project" for many years. It’s still a street car, full interior, stereo—it even has A/C! I drive it to work a couple weeks a year and still drive it to the track quite often—especially when they’re just lapping/school days and not competition.

You’re probably most interested in the engine. It’s an old LT1 (vintage 1992 design warm-over of the original SBC) I built:

Here’s it’s best rear wheel dyno:

The car weighs 3500 lbs, which is pretty heavy for a “sports car” but pretty light compared with trucks.

It’s 357 cubes N/A, with a mild 11.2:1 compression (pump gas only), fairly mild hydraulic cam so it’s still streetable. I’ll get stuck on the freeway in traffic for hours sometimes coming home from the track so a high-compression solid roller, while offering a lot more power would not be a good choice.

The main reason it makes so much more power than typical stock cube LT1’s are the heads—I think I paid well over $3K for those things. The sad thing (or happy thing depending on how you look at it) is the new truck L86/LT1 heads flow just as well—stock from the factory and can be had for a couple hundred bucks (or free if you buy the truck they come attached to!). That’s how much better these things have gotten.

Comparing the truck engine to this old LT1, the new 6.2 has larger displacement, higher compression ratio, direct injection, variable valve timing, equal heads, better intake, much better ECM, much better ignition…all from the factory. If I can squeeze that much power out of that old POS, just imagine what I can do with this one if I put my mind to it….

Nice work, what you runnin for a transmission and rear end?

By the looks of it it's set up pretty good for street fun, makes good power. Torque curve looks nice. Must be quick at only 3500 lbs.

Im gonna venture out on a limb and say that a cheap ole 4x4 with a 5.3 and a twin kit or maybe a pt7675 7875 or maybe a s475 476 or even a 480 and some e85 will wax yo Diesels ass!!! All day at the track and at the bank in the "I only spent this much" game too!!! Whatcha think? Oh and why are you showing videos comparing a tuned truck that runs 8.50s and a spinning untuned camaro that prolly ran a 9.50 that we ALL know is not reality !!! Ive driven a 2001 ss to a 8.45 bone stock a 2001 z28 to a 8.23 bone stock and a 2002 ss to a 8.52 bone stock with slippn clutch!! And that last run in the stock as a rock ss was against a tuned and exhaust 2013 Denali Duramax that ran best of 8.57. Obviously you havnt seen a 1970s fairmont run into the 9s with a 200$ 5.3 and a turbo. Or anything else for that matter. And to say that last years 6.2 was only 20hp less than this years DI LT1 6.2 trucks then yes you need to take your own advice and go watch some more videos on youtube!! That supercharged 5.3 video is a joke also because its under a warranty and it has 3.08 gears and its not but 5-7 lb kit Im pretty sure. Ive watched a buddy spend 7,000$ at suncoast just so his HD trans would hold up in his dodge. They hold the record for the fastest Duramax in the nation. I watched the guy leave the shop in it and black the town out with smoke. He also said the Allison wouldnt hold past 600hp and would not attempt to set any records with one!! I guess my point is that the maggie on a new 6.2 or 5.3 will be absolutely deadly!!! Dont buy a beat you to death diesel thinkn that your gonna be happy with a little extra boost and a tune. If your talking speed and fun to drive go maggie or procharger if you wanna race then go turbo!! However these trucks are so responsive down low that a turbo would not be that bad!! Ive raced a procharger and they pull to redline!! Just like a turbo does! You can control power with turbo a little better though. As far as chevyboy saying no way on a blower and 500 rwhp I disagree! I think its very possible with a 6.2 or a turbo and a 5.3 with proper tune and or E85. My stock ls1 made 500 at wheels with headers and a ls6 cam and 9psi from a D1!! Thats old technology too and less compression way worse heads 5.7 liters and less intelegent computer system!! Wait n see if a new DI 5.3 doesnt get a turbo from someone and a E85 tune and doesnt make over 900 HP just like it sits!! I know chevyboy is not knocking gassers but I think your overlooking their potential!! If you can tune the diesel then tune the gasser! If the diesel has a turbo then give the gasser one too!! I may be incredibly wrong but Im gonna say my 6.2 will run close to a 8.60 tune only but we will have to wait n see!

Im gonna venture out on a limb and say that a cheap ole 4x4 with a 5.3 and a twin kit or maybe a pt7675 7875 or maybe a s475 476 or even a 480 and some e85 will wax yo Diesels ass!!! All day at the track and at the bank in the "I only spent this much" game too!!! Whatcha think? Oh and why are you showing videos comparing a tuned truck that runs 8.50s and a spinning untuned camaro that prolly ran a 9.50 that we ALL know is not reality !!! Ive driven a 2001 ss to a 8.45 bone stock a 2001 z28 to a 8.23 bone stock and a 2002 ss to a 8.52 bone stock with slippn clutch!! And that last run in the stock as a rock ss was against a tuned and exhaust 2013 Denali Duramax that ran best of 8.57. Obviously you havnt seen a 1970s fairmont run into the 9s with a 200$ 5.3 and a turbo. Or anything else for that matter. And to say that last years 6.2 was only 20hp less than this years DI LT1 6.2 trucks then yes you need to take your own advice and go watch some more videos on youtube!! That supercharged 5.3 video is a joke also because its under a warranty and it has 3.08 gears and its not but 5-7 lb kit Im pretty sure. Ive watched a buddy spend 7,000$ at suncoast just so his HD trans would hold up in his dodge. They hold the record for the fastest Duramax in the nation. I watched the guy leave the shop in it and black the town out with smoke. He also said the Allison wouldnt hold past 600hp and would not attempt to set any records with one!! I guess my point is that the maggie on a new 6.2 or 5.3 will be absolutely deadly!!! Dont buy a beat you to death diesel thinkn that your gonna be happy with a little extra boost and a tune. If your talking speed and fun to drive go maggie or procharger if you wanna race then go turbo!! However these trucks are so responsive down low that a turbo would not be that bad!! Ive raced a procharger and they pull to redline!! Just like a turbo does! You can control power with turbo a little better though. As far as chevyboy saying no way on a blower and 500 rwhp I disagree! I think its very possible with a 6.2 or a turbo and a 5.3 with proper tune and or E85. My stock ls1 made 500 at wheels with headers and a ls6 cam and 9psi from a D1!! Thats old technology too and less compression way worse heads 5.7 liters and less intelegent computer system!! Wait n see if a new DI 5.3 doesnt get a turbo from someone and a E85 tune and doesnt make over 900 HP just like it sits!! I know chevyboy is not knocking gassers but I think your overlooking their potential!! If you can tune the diesel then tune the gasser! If the diesel has a turbo then give the gasser one too!! I may be incredibly wrong but Im gonna say my 6.2 will run close to a 8.60 tune only but we will have to wait n see!

This whole post makes me laugh. This was my face reading it.

ynemyre9.jpg

Ok this is my totally honest opinion on the matter of which one.

Anyone on here that has done very much track or street racing will or should agree!! I was very green at one point and time in my life and I still installed my whipple kit on my 1996 350 vortec chevy with VERY detailed instructions from the company!! They said it was an 8hr job I did it in 5. Any of you with enough brains to get on here and post in this thread can install most of the kits with the companys instructions!! A turbo kit will be a little more trouble possibly. But Im saying all that to say this! If you install the kit yourself then you can know all ther is to know about your kit when something fails. These kits are very up to date but something is gonna go wrong down the line somewhere!! You will save the install cost and save alot in the long run when something goes haywire! If you cant install the kit yourself then I personally say get you a tune and be happy but if you tackle it you will be suprised what you will learn and the amount of money you can save and be dependant on your own self!! A maggie kit will be doable I guarantee you!!! A procharger kit will actually prolly be easier than the Maggie but not 100% sure on that. You will enjoy your kit way more with the knowledge you obtain by installing it and when your belt breaks or a bearing on an idler goes out you wont be in too much trouble!! They are great kits though not trying to take anything away from the installers and thier craftsmanship but if you want FI then get your head into it and figure it out and learn something!! Just saying

Archived