Turbocharger vs Supercharger

Are you guys talking about the 5.3 or the 6.2? The 6.2 will easily exceed 480 RWHP cam-only. No need for a turbo or blower at that level yet. Not remotely.

No. No it won't.

Those trucks run about 20% drivetrain loss, so what you're saying is a bone stock SBC that puts out 420 or whatever the new one is at the flywheel is gonna gain 180hp at the crank from cam only???? Lololol

I've read and watched a pile of threads on the 6.2 because I was gonna buy one. A full out 93 octane tune will dyno 330-350 depending on a lot of factors and I've seen them at the track fully bolted with LT's and a good launch you might hit high 13's...which puts you around 400hp.

No way in hell you're gaining 150rwhp with a cam lolol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you guys talking about the 5.3 or the 6.2? The 6.2 will easily exceed 480 RWHP cam-only. No need for a turbo or blower at that level yet. Not remotely.

A cam swap is going to pick up 100hp at the rear wheels?

Ive seen several LS1s go from a stock dyno of 315-325 to a cam and headers and exhaust and dyno 430+!!!!!!

every swap may not yield 100 at wheels but the cam you are going to want to run with it being a truck is gonna be a torquer cam to gain trq not huge amounts of top end power!! Just supercharge it and be done!! Oh and Id line up a supercharged 6.2 against your diesel all day. Just my opinion. Its 2000 lbs lighter.

Ive seen several LS1s go from a stock dyno of 315-325 to a cam and headers and exhaust and dyno 430+!!!!!!

every swap may not yield 100 at wheels but the cam you are going to want to run with it being a truck is gonna be a torquer cam to gain trq not huge amounts of top end power!! Just supercharge it and be done!! Oh and Id line up a supercharged 6.2 against your diesel all day. Just my opinion. Its 2000 lbs lighter.

id give one a go too, probly lose. but if it was at the track i would come prepared…smaller tires, no tool box, no stereo, i can strip almost 1000 lbs out of my truck in a couple hours. stripped down shes no joke bud. guys running exact same setup and tuning as me without a lift on 33's run consistent mid 12's my guess a blown 6.2 would be in that same general area of ET's but i dont know

No. No it won't.

Those trucks run about 20% drivetrain loss, so what you're saying is a bone stock SBC that puts out 420 or whatever the new one is at the flywheel is gonna gain 180hp at the crank from cam only???? Lololol

I've read and watched a pile of threads on the 6.2 because I was gonna buy one. A full out 93 octane tune will dyno 330-350 depending on a lot of factors and I've seen them at the track fully bolted with LT's and a good launch you might hit high 13's...which puts you around 400hp.

No way in hell you're gaining 150rwhp with a cam lolol

You are confused. You do realize this is a new engine for this year, right? And that it's only been out for a couple months? So far only one company offers longtubes and not even they have a dyno yet? But you've been "following along" with many and seeing them at the track for how long now? Neat trick.

5.3's are putting down over 320 without headers, but the 6.2 dynojet only 330 tuned? Show me a thread. One. Single. Thread. Like I said, you're confused.

As if you didn't know, "cam-only" implies supporting mods included, so the gain is certainly not all from the "cam swap." Here's what the LT1/L86 is capable of in the vette with an aftermarket cam and supporting mods:

aass_zpsb2883f1d.jpg

Mods: New Era Performance VVT cam package with AFM delete

ARH mid length 1 3/4 primary headers,

NEP Race axle back exhaust (prototype)

In house tuning (dynojet) mike @ newera

Still had stock intake and air filter.

Yes, the heavier wheels/tires/rear, etc of the truck will take those down some, but they can be taken down a ton and still be above 480. The Vette intake is a whopping $250, other than that it's all the same.

Troll...says the Diesel fan going into the gas engine section and saying gas engines suck (apparently without much direct knowledge).... Funny.

This engine has insane potential. People are just now scratching the surface. Making ridiculously low declarations on what you think their potential is (and that you somehow know it already) exposes you.

You are confused. You do realize this is a new engine for this year, right? And that it's only been out for a couple months? So far only one company offers longtubes and not even they have a dyno yet? But you've been "following along" with many and seeing them at the track for how long now? Neat trick.

5.3's are putting down over 320 without headers, but the 6.2 dynojet only 330 tuned? Show me a thread. One. Single. Thread. Like I said, you're confused.

As if you didn't know, "cam-only" implies supporting mods included, so the gain is certainly not all from the "cam swap." Here's what the LT1/L86 is capable of in the vette with an aftermarket cam and supporting mods:

aass_zpsb2883f1d.jpg

Mods: New Era Performance VVT cam package with AFM delete

ARH mid length 1 3/4 primary headers,

NEP Race axle back exhaust (prototype)

In house tuning (dynojet) mike @ newera

Still had stock intake and air filter.

Yes, the heavier wheels/tires/rear, etc of the truck will take those down some, but they can be taken down a ton and still be above 480. The Vette intake is a whopping $250, other than that it's all the same.

Troll...says the Diesel fan going into the gas engine section and saying gas engines suck (apparently without much direct knowledge).... Funny.

This engine has insane potential. People are just now scratching the surface. Making ridiculously low declarations on what you think their potential is (and that you somehow know it already) exposes you.

honestly, i was talkin about 12's and 13's dude..obviously… i live in the damn north pole where the hell would i be racing right now unless it was on a snow machine??? i realize the new ones have a little more potential…what i didnt realize is we were talking about a brand new one. but either way the new one is 420 at the crank, i bet a baseline run of 330-340rwhp. i would be pleasently surprised to see 480 rwhp from a fully bolted cammed 6.2 truck… and by the way you said cam only. which in fact does not mean fully bolted and cammed…thats like me saying "tune only duramax" but really it means i have another 2 grand in supporting mods??? are you kidding me?? i really dont care about a dyno sheet anyways, show me a time slip and let me know the weight. that shows real HP. dyno is a tuning tool, so many variables can inflate numbers or deflate. especially on a dynojet LOL.

Am i missing something???? where the hell i write anything about "gas engines sucking"???????????? in fact im doing the exact opposite, praising the 6.2!! i love that motor!! :banghead: first ur talking about cam only truck, now youve displayed a picture of dynojet results of a vette with cam swap and long tubes and some other mods on a differently set-up engine. 1000's of dollars in parts. i am in no way making "low declarations" im making realistic ones, not some fairy tale land dream world. its guys like you i love getting the chance at a green light on the streets, easy to extract butthurt.

now that ive debunked almost everything youve stated, im gonna crawl back into my "diesel hole" where i belong. Good attempt at making some type of 2nd grade attempt to get a rise out of me tho. Keep reachin for that rainbow buddy!! :thumbs:

i realize the new ones have a little more potential…what i didnt realize is we were talking about a brand new one.

So, you didn't think we were talking about 2014's in the 2014 section.... OK.

but either way the new one is 420 at the crank, i bet a baseline run of 330-340rwhp. i would be pleasently surprised to see 480 rwhp from a fully bolted cammed 6.2 truck…

Making up numbers. Based upon zero knowledge. They're worth as much as you put into them....

and by the way you said cam only. which in fact does not mean fully bolted and cammed…thats like me saying "tune only duramax" but really it means i have another 2 grand in supporting mods???

That's what "cam only" means. As in no head porting. No forced induction or nitrous. That's what "cam only" means to everybody. If you want to change the definition of it just so you can win this one arguement, good luck with that. Can you name one single person on the planet who has installed a high performance cam in an engine like this...but not improved the exhaust or intake or tuned it? Would that be a smart thing to do in your "expert opinon?"

Am i missing something???? where the hell i write anything about "gas engines sucking"????????????

Uhm.....

7-8 pounds of boost you'll be lucky to crack 400rwhp...maybe with some long tubes/cam you could reach a little over 420.

Lucky to crack 400 rwhp with 8 lbs of boost? Clueless much?

now that ive debunked almost everything youve stated, im gonna crawl back into my "diesel hole" where i belong.

You "debunk" somebody by bringing some tech. Some facts and data that support your side of the argument. You made up a few numbers and declared yourself king. Congratulations?

its guys like you i love getting the chance at a green light on the streets, easy to extract butthurt.

"Guys like me" grew out of that shortly after the 2nd grade. When I want to go "fast," I go to the racetrack. In my Camaro. Compared with the "fast cars" of today, it's a 20 year old slow POS. But it's still wildly faster than any truck you've seen on the road.

i realize the new ones have a little more potential…what i didnt realize is we were talking about a brand new one.

So, you didn't think we were talking about 2014's in the 2014 section.... OK.

but either way the new one is 420 at the crank, i bet a baseline run of 330-340rwhp. i would be pleasently surprised to see 480 rwhp from a fully bolted cammed 6.2 truck…

Making up numbers. Based upon zero knowledge. They're worth as much as you put into them....

and by the way you said cam only. which in fact does not mean fully bolted and cammed…thats like me saying "tune only duramax" but really it means i have another 2 grand in supporting mods???

That's what "cam only" means. As in no head porting. No forced induction or nitrous. That's what "cam only" means to everybody. If you want to change the definition of it just so you can win this one arguement, good luck with that. Can you name one single person on the planet who has installed a high performance cam in an engine like this...but not improved the exhaust or intake or tuned it? Would that be a smart thing to do in your "expert opinon?"

Am i missing something???? where the hell i write anything about "gas engines sucking"????????????

Uhm.....

7-8 pounds of boost you'll be lucky to crack 400rwhp...maybe with some long tubes/cam you could reach a little over 420.

Lucky to crack 400 rwhp with 8 lbs of boost? Clueless much?

now that ive debunked almost everything youve stated, im gonna crawl back into my "diesel hole" where i belong.

You "debunk" somebody by bringing some tech. Some facts and data that support your side of the argument. You made up a few numbers and declared yourself king. Congratulations?

its guys like you i love getting the chance at a green light on the streets, easy to extract butthurt.

"Guys like me" grew out of that shortly after the 2nd grade. When I want to go "fast," I go to the racetrack. In my Camaro. Compared with the "fast cars" of today, it's a 20 year old slow POS. But it's still wildly faster than any truck you've seen on the road.

I honestly didn't, I just started in on this thread by clicking unread option on my phone via tapatalk. No idea what section it was in until you mentioned it. My bad.

You can think what you want to think about me but I've seen these rigs(previous 6.2 trucks) run at the track...the hp rating isn't far off from the new ones. Plus the new 4x4 crew cabs weigh 5500 pounds!!

1st search

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/dynodata/33656-6-2-dyno-numbers.html

Second search - blown 5.3

13.89 :(

Third search - turbo'd 6.2 on 9.5 or 10lbs of boost WITH a meth kit. With the ET/weight/trap speed puts it just under 500hp. Quick truck.

http://m.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=509672&styleid=4

Fourth search

http://m.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_1311_2014_gmc_sierra_denali_1500_first_test/index.html

Do I really need to keep going??

The 2014 runs 14.6 @96 mph (give or take) bone stock?? That puts it roughly at 350rwhp (probly lower actually) being modest. You honestly think a little bit of boost will create 500rwhp??? Usually 8psi gains you about 100rwhp from the trucks I've been around anyways...the callaway silverado makes 540 at the flywheel. After drivetrain loss I'll bet it doesn't make 450 at the wheel and that's being modest. All of this information and you're still saying a cam and tune will make 480 LOLOLOL who do you think you're fooling MAYBE 480 with a set of CNC'd heads. im sorry but if a blown 6.2 cant make 480 at the wheel, then ill be damn surprised to see cammed one make it. The boosted will make more power. i love this truck were speaking of, its amazing the power it makes compared to trucks even 10 year ago. i cant wait to see its potential, my eyes are peeled and waiting! but lets be realistic with ourselves here…the thigns youve said to me kinda bit you in the ass. because you are also stating facts but really have no evidence to back it up. me? i use simple math and common sense.

Sooo much info to backup what I'm saying, all you gotta do is hit the search button. Watch a few YouTube videos. Or hell, maybe even go sit at a track for a weekend ;)

Im still waiting for an answer too? where in this thread did i say gas trucks suck??? all you got to say is "uhm" ??? ummm what?? you have trouble reading??

Oh and by the way why don't you lay out this "cam only" rule of thumb you've seemed to create? Does it include a stall converter??? Does this cam only rule include gearing too?? When I see "cam only" I assume maybe cam, springs and a tune. When I see "bolted" I assume full exhaust blah blah blah....just so were clear ok?

I could do this all day..once again keep reachin.

PS if you think ur 20 year old camaro is quick, hell even a new one... youve never seen a diesel runnin 60 pounds of boost have ya lol?? i love lining up with a camaro or mustang its fun :lol::seeya:

heres a vid of an almost 10 year old farm truck blowing the doors off of a camaro with just a basic tune and exhaust.

I honestly didn't, I just started in on this thread by clicking unread option on my phone via tapatalk. No idea what section it was in until you mentioned it. My bad.

So you were lost. You didn't know what section you were in or what engines you were talking about. That's forgivable. So now that you do, why are you sticking to the same story you now know is wrong?

You can think what you want to think about me but I've seen these rigs(previous 6.2 trucks) run at the track...the hp rating isn't far off from the new ones.

You're talking about the wrong engine. Still. Why? Why are you talking about the wrong engine as if it has some sort of meaning to this conversation? Just because the diesels have been going backward for the last few years does not mean the same is true for the gas engines. They have been getting better--in this case much better. If you choose to remain ignorant of that, I don't care. Just stop talking.

Sooo much info to backup what I'm saying, all you gotta do is hit the search button. Watch a few YouTube videos. Or hell, maybe even go sit at a track for a weekend ;)

Info about oranges, when you're in the apples section. Useless.

Im still waiting for an answer too? where in this thread did i say gas trucks suck??? all you got to say is "uhm" ??? ummm what?? you have trouble reading??

Apparently you have trouble reading. Did you miss the quote of you right below that? Where you said it would be hard for a "gas engine" to make 400 RWHP with 8 lbs of boost? You said they suck, in a manor most revealing of your cluelessness.

PS if you think ur 20 year old camaro is quick, hell even a new one... youve never seen a diesel runnin 60 pounds of boost have ya lol?? i love lining up with a camaro or mustang its fun :lol::seeya:

Yawn. Seriously. It's a truck. Really. Yes, my old POS Camaro will run cirlces around your truck and any truck you've likely ever seen on the highway (unless you see NASCAR Truck Series trucks cruizin' main where you're from).

SCCA competetion laps (crappy track, but keep an eye on the g-meter):

Here's a much nicer track and a view of actual fast cars I compete with (no diesel farmtrucks make the cut):

Seriously, come back when you understand what engines we're talking about. You've never seen one of these engines with the mods you're talking about. Why are you talking about them as if what you say has any meaning? Wait, watch, learn. Maybe in a while you'll have a clue.

So you were lost. You didn't know what section you were in or what engines you were talking about. That's forgivable. So now that you do, why are you sticking to the same story you now know is wrong?

You're talking about the wrong engine. Still. Why? Why are you talking about the wrong engine as if it has some sort of meaning to this conversation? Just because the diesels have been going backward for the last few years does not mean the same is true for the gas engines. They have been getting better--in this case much better. If you choose to remain ignorant of that, I don't care. Just stop talking.

Info about oranges, when you're in the apples section. Useless.

Apparently you have trouble reading. Did you miss the quote of you right below that? Where you said it would be hard for a "gas engine" to make 400 RWHP with 8 lbs of boost? You said they suck, in a manor most revealing of your cluelessness.

Yawn. Seriously. It's a truck. Really. Yes, my old POS Camaro will run cirlces around your truck and any truck you've likely ever seen on the highway (unless you see NASCAR Truck Series trucks cruizin' main where you're from).

SCCA competetion laps (crappy track, but keep an eye on the g-meter):

Here's a much nicer track and a view of actual fast cars I compete with (no diesel farmtrucks make the cut):

Seriously, come back when you understand what engines we're talking about. You've never seen one of these engines with the mods you're talking about. Why are you talking about them as if what you say has any meaning? Wait, watch, learn. Maybe in a while you'll have a clue.

LOL so you can bull$hit us all by saying you own an old and slow camaro…but reaaallly all along its a built car for a track LOL. revving 7 grand LOL must be old and slow ya... nice troll by the way :thumbs: ahaha cool videos.

i do know what youre talking about, ive had 3 trucks with LS series engines and not once the engine was left alone. Im not stupid buddy. i still dont see where i said "gas engines suck" how do you get that quote from what i said? what the hell are you even talking about?? i did not say gas engines suck, not even remotly close to anything like that.

im still sticking to what im saying, you havent given up any real facts to your first post in this thread. old technology or not, the fact of the matter is the new engine is only makin 20 more hp from factory…ur acting like its this new uni-corn of LS series motor. which its not. you havent said one damn thing thats made any sense…every quote youve done is in defence mode its hilarious. this ALL leads back to you stating you can make 480rwhp with some bolt ons and a cam…which i reeallllly do not think is possible buddy. you say ive never seen mods like this? or been around this stuff?? lol you dont know me from a hole in the ground, dont know what ive owned, built or driven. i have personal buddies that i see almost weekly that own some really really fast cars man…im in the process of putting together an engine as we speak. (currently waitin to pick up some carillo rods and mahle pistons) when its done it'll have enough fuel/airflow to support close to 1000hp with no spray…when it will be done? i dont know its really expensive when you start getting into billet diesel parts. but im about 2/3's of the way to that magical number now...

now that this shlong swinging contest is over….you did get me on ur car tho i give ya that :crackup: . i wanna know more about ur car man, you cant post a video ike that and not tell me! that second video that track looks friggin awesome and the car sounds awesme too!

PS id still try and race ya (in a straight line lol)

Ok Chevy boy tell Jon you will race him off road, turn 11 in the 1/4 mile, and drive it every day to work. That's what can do with a diesel you cant do very easy with a gas, or with a supercharger. Trying to stay close to the purpose of this post.

Archived