Turbocharger vs Supercharger

Guys go on ebay buy a toy, and a trailer. Same money you tear it up, push it in the garage fix it go again. Bonus you still have your warranty on your truck. You be amazed what you can find on ebay for the price of a supercharger. I bought a custom truck with a whipple and ton of other stuff for the price of a new whipple. I drive it more than the new one.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys go on ebay buy a toy, and a trailer. Same money you tear it up, push it in the garage fix it go again. Bonus you still have your warranty on your truck. You be amazed what you can find on ebay for the price of a supercharger. I bought a custom truck with a whipple and ton of other stuff for the price of a new whipple. I drive it more than the new one.

All this makes perfect sense for the average person like you and I, but sometimes people just want to build a new truck. I would never call Hennessey and tell them that they could have saved a bundle on their Velociraptor because they could have picked up a 1987 S10 for $200 all day long then just put a 572 crate motor in it which would be faster. To each is own I guess.

It's not whether a SC makes $ense compared to something else, it's whether it's desirable compared to other options for a particular want/need. For someone that tows, and has a truck that's paid for (like me), it may make sense to modify what they have. Let's say I dropped (wasted?) $6k on a SC kit for my truck, and maybe budget another $1k to $2k for a transmission build later. How does that compare to giving GM another $15k++ for a truck that is only a little better for towing than what I have, and maybe worse in some ways? The new truck will lose that $15k+ "value" difference in a few years, where the SC could be worth zero in the same period, and still cost less.

Just another perspective... but I agree that dumping "mod money" into a vehicle rarely makes sense from a purely financial angle.

(Edit: When I say $15k, I'm estimating a truck just like mine, but new. It may be more than that... but probably not less right now.)

Plus.... I live vicariously though some of these lucky ass deep pocket users.... Then I go out and treat my truck to some premium fuel and call it a race car.

I just have lots more fun nowadays after dumping a ton of money in new stuff myself, buying someone else headache for pennies on the dollar. The guy I bought my 92 off of said he had 40k in it the ten years he had it. I have 8500 in right now. It is a blast.

I agree with you in many ways about putting money into a weekend warrior, but there is something about having an exciting daily driver. I just stuck a Maggie on my 6.0 silverado that is my daily driver, grocery getter, family vehicle and tow rig. I certainly did not have to or really need to, but I wanted to. It's much more fun to drive and it will be a more efficient tow vehicle. I am fortunate enough to be able to have a weekend ride that's actually fast not a 6000lb pig, but my truck sure is fun to drive now and gets just as good of mileage as it did(if I can keep my foot out if it).

Yep, my diesel made 550hp and just a bit shy of 1100ft/lbs at the wheels

Details?

Ur gonna miss it man...

The have nothing against what anybody is saying in here all pretty much makes sense except for one thing. You guys are putting the words supercharger and efficient in the same sentence. Shouldn't be allowed.

My diesel had EFI live programming. SB coldvair intake, air dog fuel pumps,4 inch MBRP downpipe back single exhaust and finally a super strong built transmission to get and HOLD all that power. 0 to 60 in five seconds and 0 to 100mph in 12.5 second and 1/4 mile in 13.05 @ 103 mph. Total cost was 10 k. Do I miss the power? Hell ya! But I did sell the truck to my chum and when I want to feel the power, he is just a phone call away.

I've got a toy in the garage. It's an. 06 vette with bout 500 hp at the crank. Lots of fun to drive runs mid 11s in the 1/4. As. Much fun as it is, I still like fast trucks:). Oh and it's for sale, maybe.

My diesel had EFI live programming. SB coldvair intake, air dog fuel pumps,4 inch MBRP downpipe back single exhaust and finally a super strong built transmission to get and HOLD all that power. 0 to 60 in five seconds and 0 to 100mph in 12.5 second and 1/4 mile in 13.05 @ 103 mph. Total cost was 10 k. Do I miss the power? Hell ya! But I did sell the truck to my chum and when I want to feel the power, he is just a phone call away.

Stock air/fuel Max effort Duramax haul a$$, my #4 tune makes about that and doesn't crack 1100 degrees :) who's tuning were ya runnin? And who built ur tranny?

...ya you'll see, gonna put 10k into that gasser and it won't be as quick, get half the mileage and won't haul as good. 7-8 pounds of boost you'll be lucky to crack 400rwhp...maybe with some long tubes/cam you could reach a little over 420. Don't get me wrong still be fun, but it ain't gonna feel like 1100ft-lbs from a dig.

Stock air/fuel Max effort Duramax haul a$$, my #4 tune makes about that and doesn't crack 1100 degrees :) who's tuning were ya runnin? And who built ur tranny?

...ya you'll see, gonna put 10k into that gasser and it won't be as quick, get half the mileage and won't haul as good. 7-8 pounds of boost you'll be lucky to crack 400rwhp...maybe with some long tubes/cam you could reach a little over 420. Don't get me wrong still be fun, but it ain't gonna feel like 1100ft-lbs from a dig.

EFI LIVE tuning by BR POWERSOURCE in Oakville ontario and tranny bt Greg Shultz in Hamilton. As for performance if callaway can get a 450 hp tuned 5.3 with 308 gears to run 13.8 in the 1/4 . I sure hope that a 6.2 with 550 to 600 hp and 3.42 gears and a truck that is almost 2000 lbs lighter would break into the 12s. Maybe? And

Are you guys talking about the 5.3 or the 6.2? The 6.2 will easily exceed 480 RWHP cam-only. No need for a turbo or blower at that level yet. Not remotely.

Archived