Turbocharger vs Supercharger

Presently I am contemplating on which way to go with my GMC Sierra Denali. Does anybody know the pros and cons of each one of these options. I have never owned a supercharged vehicle before, but I have owned three diesel trucks that were pushing over 550 horse to the wheels. I know that with a turbo there is always turbo lag. Is this something that would be noticeable if I were to turbocharged one of these trucks. What about exhaust gas temperatures? With my diesel truck I was always concerned about gas temperatures getting too high. Any thoughts on fuel mileage differences. What about drivability and pulling power. Talk to a couple of different companies about which option to go in regards to pricing and bang for the bucks do it appears that you would get more bang for the buck if you were to go with a turbo. To turbo this truck would cost about $7000 and you would get roughly 600+ horsepower. To supercharge it would cost about $8500 to 9k and would get you about 550 hp.

Any thoughts on long-term wear and tear on the vehicle example engine drivetrain transmission rear end etc. Thanks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A turbos lag is effected by its design/setup. If/how much you get will be determined by what you want and if you know what you are doing. Turbos produce no parasitic loss, they are load based and will make power off the bottom and hold it to redline,

Superchargers are linear with RPM (come on more as you rev). Easier to tune, Make most HP right at shift and are easier to build because you have no funky exhaust configurations.

Me personally, I'm a turbo guy. I'm a tuner though so I can fiddle fart around with it till I'm happy. Plus they are sooo much more rewarding when set up right. I plan on building turbo for my 14 but I'm currently getting familiar with how these tune, so much different than Ls1/Ls6, I just want to know the Ecu in my sleep before I introduce a hair dryer to the mix.

Interested in your build either way you go, keep us posted.

Edited because my thumbs again.

This is like the Ford vs Chevy argument, Ive done Vortex and Whipple both work good. I would research the net to see who working more with the car, or truck you want to build. Of course you know there will be more money and mods needed down the road with the added power. Blowers are right now power, turbos tend to lag a bit, which can make it easier to get the power to the ground. Than there that warranty.

This is like the Ford vs Chevy argument, Ive done Vortex and Whipple both work good. I would research the net to see who working more with the car, or truck you want to build. Of course you know there will be more money and mods needed down the road with the added power. Blowers are right now power, turbos tend to lag a bit, which can make it easier to get the power to the ground. Than there that warranty.

There really shouldn't be much debate, they both have their place and they both have about the same pro's/con's, problem is that most people are ignorant from one or the other so they tend to have favorites.... hell, with that being said, you are right, a lot like the Ford/Chevy argument. I stand corrected.

Actually if you have great turbo setup you will have very little lag. Supercharger are a lot of fun. I like both. Whipple for a supercharger. Cons for supercharger mainly air temp, fuel, and getting that exhaust out. Turbos cons placement of the turbo or turbos, and new exhaust. They are both great. Just depends on what you want.

How power do you want to the wheels? Your gona lose roughly 20-25% loss in HP and tq through your drive train.

If you put a supercharger or turbo on you will need to upgrade your tranny. Torque converter and clutches. I'm not sure how much these trannys can hold. If it was me I would just run 7-10 lbs of boost. 10 only for the track. More boost on the engine harder on the internals. Be realistic with what you want for a daily driver. 450-500hp is plenty on a daily driver.

Lengenfelter TVS1900 Maggy like they put in their 2014 Reaper Silverado. Hell you can even finance that through them. Turn key with warranty 475HP on a 5.3 or 550hp on a 6.2.

I've noticed that Lingenfelter uses the TV S 1900 and that Callaway use the TVS 2300 to achieve about 550 horse. Any idea as to why these two companies would run two different superchargers?

Archived