Thinking about making my own tonneau. Input?

Looking for a tonneau for my 2014 and just can't find anything that suits me. I want a low profile hard tonneau, but short of a LazerLite ($1200+ !!), I just don't care for the style/looks of any others, and the cheapest available is $529 (TonnoPro Hard Cover). I don't care if it's hinged or tri-fold, so long as I can open/close the tailgate without having to open the cover; and I would like it to be removable by one person if need be, without tools. I don't need it to support anything other than snow. I just need a removable cover that can't be torn open by a knife/razor.

I have an idea for making my own and would like some input:

1/8" HDPE (plastic 'plywood') on the top, cut to sit 1" over the rails.

1/2" aluminum channel for framing and support.

1/2" insulation board in channels for added rigidity (1/2" plywood in rear section for added hinge attachment strength).

1/8" HDPE covering underside

7/8" rubber e-channel around edge for weather stripping.

1" aluminum angle clamped to inside of bed for cover to rest on.

The top will likely be covered with vinyl, and the bottom with carpet to match my BedRug.

Fully assembled, the cover would be about 1" thick, and would about sit about 1/4" above the bed.

Carry handles will be attached to the underside.

Locking mechanisms will be attached under the double channel nearest to the tailgate.

Total cost for raw materials and hardware would be $250-300.

Using hinges like the ones pictured, along with ball-mount shocks, it should be pretty easy to remove.

Estimated weight to be 50-60 pounds.

What do you guys/gals think?

post-126520-0-59341200-1392659304_thumb.png

post-126520-0-46699800-1392659321_thumb.gif

I've looked at a lot of homemade tonneaus on the web, and the majority are less than desirable, with 3/4" plywood and 2x4 construction with no weatherproofing. That's definitely not what I want.

I'm hoping it will have a high quality look/fit/finish to it. If the HDPE has a soft/smooth enough edge, I will use high quality weather tape instead of e-channel to avoid the lip on top for an even sleeker look. My biggest indecision right now is whether or not to bow it a little to help water run off.

I don't know your carpentery/mechanic skills, but I can't see this turning out anywhere near as nice as a professional one. I love my Fold-A-Cover. It fits everything you're asking for except for the "removal without tools" part - which can easily be corrected. It's just a couple of small bolts that can probably be replaced with studs and wing nuts or left off if desired. I think you'd have better success starting with a purchased unit and modifying it to your needs.

Good luck.

My mechanical aptitude is pretty solid, but i'm not expecting it to be perfect or have features of some retail covers. I'm expecting it to cost about 1/3 the price of a Fold-A-Cover, which is the main point. (I didn't buy a WT model for its feature content)

An Extang full tilt with 1/8" project board between the bows and vinyl would be sufficient for $400. I just think it would be fun to build my own too.

Also, you might consider Melamine instead of plywood. I think the plywood would have a tendency to sag over time. Melamine might be a little heavier, but I haven't seen it sag like plywood. And it has a nice finish on the top and bottom. I made a nice outfeed table for my table saw using melamine and it's held up well over time.

Is there a compiled list that you know of for what 07-13 covers fit the 2014s?

It will probably be a while before I get to this project. Working outside when it's 30 degrees isn't on my to-do list :nonod:

I e-mailed fold a cover and they responded about transferring the earlier version to the 2014.

"The 2014 New Body Style Silverado has an updated installation method as well as new hardware to accommodate the changes to the truck bed. The cover is also not as wide at the back end because the rear stake pockets are designed to be used as hand-holds for the step bumper that is now standard on all 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500s."

I might still look at the one on Craigslist to see if it would work. Sounds like they made the new one a little narrower to allow for access to the hand hold stake pockets (no big deal for me).

I will throw my $0.02 in the ring I think you have a pretty good concept of what you want to do and probably can make it work pretty well. I would look at maybe a couple changes though:

How about instead of HDPE sheeting you use either FRP sheets or phenolic sheets. Both are much more sag resistant, and will not creep over time the way hdpe would. If you adhere either of these two products to rigid foam board with a strong contact cement you will end up with a torsion box that is resistant to sagging (looking at my fold a cover this is most likely what they did)

You could do this will all of the panels and use a structural adhesive to connect your front hinges instead of using plywood.

The main issue I see is the coating but if you clean everything real well you can find a paint system that will last.

Just my thoughts.

I will throw my $0.02 in the ring I think you have a pretty good concept of what you want to do and probably can make it work pretty well. I would look at maybe a couple changes though:

How about instead of HDPE sheeting you use either FRP sheets or phenolic sheets. Both are much more sag resistant, and will not creep over time the way hdpe would. If you adhere either of these two products to rigid foam board with a strong contact cement you will end up with a torsion box that is resistant to sagging (looking at my fold a cover this is most likely what they did)

You could do this will all of the panels and use a structural adhesive to connect your front hinges instead of using plywood.

The main issue I see is the coating but if you clean everything real well you can find a paint system that will last.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for the ideas.

Any idea where I could find 6ft x 8ft sheets? I called a couple local distributors yesterday, and it seems the only thing they can get in 6ft x 8ft is acrylic or polycarbonate.

If I could get ABS or FRP in 6x8, I can have it thermoformed locally to form a channel for the frame. This way, I could make a flush mount cover with double fin L-shaped weather strip inside the bed and standard double fin at the tailgate for a near-perfect seal with nothing above the bed sides. I would like a single sheet of ABS or FRP for the top as that would eliminate the need to cover it with another material.

I do need a cover soon, so I will likely pick up a soft tri-fold or tilt cover for now and start on this when weather permits.

I like a good challenge though, so I think this will be a fun project.

I am not

Thank you for the ideas.

Any idea where I could find 6ft x 8ft sheets? I called a couple local distributors yesterday, and it seems the only thing they can get in 6ft x 8ft is acrylic or polycarbonate.

If I could get ABS or FRP in 6x8, I can have it thermoformed locally to form a channel for the frame. This way, I could make a flush mount cover with double fin L-shaped weather strip inside the bed and standard double fin at the tailgate for a near-perfect seal with nothing above the bed sides. I would like a single sheet of ABS or FRP for the top as that would eliminate the need to cover it with another material.

I do need a cover soon, so I will likely pick up a soft tri-fold or tilt cover for now and start on this when weather permits.

I like a good challenge though, so I think this will be a fun project.

I am not sure where you could get 6x8 sheets, I have only dealt with 4x8 and 4x10 FRP sheets for wall and ceiling coatings.

Archived