Truck Covers

As my new 2014 Silverado is relegated to living outdoors in SC, I'm curious if anyone has any first hand experience with truck cab covers. I say 'cab covers' because I think I'm most interested in protecting the hood, windshield, headlights and top in the event of hail - the bed should be able to withstand most hail.

I've never used a 'cover' before and recall hearing that covers can move during wind and abrade the paint job. And of course, they can be a pain to put on and. take off. I'm hoping that the truck paint can survive 15 years in the elements with regular washing and waxing - so the cover would be primarily to protect from hail damage (unless it were to hail when I wasn't home to put the cover on).

I see several covers at Realtrucks.com but would need to call as they don't show the 2014 covers yet. I'd probably call CoverCraft directly as they produce quality products - at least their sun shades are excellent quality.

Looking at the Web site mentioned, some of the covers are Sunbrella - that's pretty strong stuff and frequently used as boat house covers (which can withstand most hail - but not golf ball size hail of course). The idea would be to protect the paint and glass in all but the most severe hail storms. Most hail around here is marble size and smaller.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed (or better to say had it installed) Real Carbon Fiber roof cover. Not cheap but I want some accenting to blend with my black tonneau cover and stand apart from the full all white color scheme.

image_zpsa19f3aca.jpg

Anyone know where to get a fitted cover tarp for 2014 with foam or something on the hood and roof to prevent dents from hail? During my shift I leave my truck on my driveway but while I'm gone we have potential for golf ball size hail, just wanted to see what's out there to prevent a bunch of dents.

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations? I work in an environment that can, on occasion, expose the truck to some undesirable things falling from the sky. I need something at least "mostly" waterproof that's thin, as cheap as possible, won't damage paint. Semi-disposable as I expect to replace it relatively often, maybe every other year or so. Only occasional use, every other week or so.

Ideas?

• 7 months later...

Installed (or better to say had it installed) Real Carbon Fiber roof cover. Not cheap but I want some accenting to blend with my black tonneau cover and stand apart from the full all white color scheme.

image_zpsa19f3aca.jpg

Who makes the roof if you don't mind? And I'm guessing it is not a replacement skin but a cap over the original?

Archived