Steering wheel clicking?

I am going to hit 3 years before I hit 36k.  I think I am going to go back right before 3 years and tell them to fix the steering wheel click and the rear brake screeching and my clunk into reverse and not to call me until it is all done!  

glad to hear yours is fixed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far (unless I just missed it) everyone has had repairs done on this issue under 36K, or at least not updated if otherwise.  So has anyone paid out of pocket for this fix?  I'm at 54K now on my '15, and if it isn't a safety issue AND they're gonna charge me to fix a known issue, I'm not sure I will try to fix mine...

• 2 months later...

Well this is my situation.  2014 Silverado owner.  I've had basically 60,000 trouble free miles with the driveline and steering.  I need new tires and shocks so on Friday I had Bilstein 5100's installed on the 3rd setting (1.23").  Immediately when I picked it up I noticed the clicking/popping in the steering wheel that everyone here is describing.  I have not had it aligned yet....I was going to do that tomorrow (Monday) when I got new tires installed.  The mechanic that installed the shocks said to let him know what it's doing after the tires and alignment but honestly after reading this thread, I'm thinking I'm going to lower this truck back down to stock and stick with the stock size tires as well.  I'm not interested in continuously replacing a $1,200 rack and pinion steering assemblies.

To those that are saying that they removed their levels and the clicking/popping is still there, did you consider that your steering assembly might be damaged so much that removing the level at that point was futile?  I'm thinking I need to catch this problem before it gets worse.  I've only been driving around on it for about 5-10 miles so hopefully it's still ok.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

Well I can't explain this, but after going through with getting the bigger tires and an alignment, the steering popping noise/feeling went away and the tightness loosened back up to how the steering felt before I started changing anything.  The only possible conclusion I can come up with is the angle of the tie rods before the tires went on was causing the issue, and the tires somehow corrected it.  It doesn't seem logical as the tires shouldn't affect the angle of the tie rods, but I don't know what other reason it could be.  I'm going to keep a close eye on everything and see what happens over time.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:44 PM, Silverado-Hareek said:

Well I can't explain this, but after going through with getting the bigger tires and an alignment, the steering popping noise/feeling went away and the tightness loosened back up to how the steering felt before I started changing anything.  The only possible conclusion I can come up with is the angle of the tie rods before the tires went on was causing the issue, and the tires somehow corrected it.  It doesn't seem logical as the tires shouldn't affect the angle of the tie rods, but I don't know what other reason it could be.  I'm going to keep a close eye on everything and see what happens over time.

Update:  My clicking/popping/whatever you want to call it is back.  I noticed it today when parallel parking in the city.  Luckily the steering is still loose and never tightened back up, but the popping noise seems to appear randomly as others have described when there's too much low speed turning and after the vehicle has been driven for a bit and warms up.  Still, the feedback from mechanics that I'm hearing is that it's more of an annoyance, and not necessarily a safety concern.  I'm going to keep an eye on it moving forward and see what happens.

Today backing out of work I turned pretty hard left and it didn't make much of a clicking noise, this time it was like a really drawn out binding noise the entire time  I was reversing.  Imagine rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together for a few seconds, that was basically it.

After reading this thread, it sounds like there hasn't been a solid solution to this... whether you've had a leveling kit or not doesn't seem to factor into it either.

• 1 year later...

Replying to an old/dead thread hoping there is some new news...I can turn my wheel (in park) and I get the clicks... it isn’t the tie rods or anything related to the suspension... it is something in the steering mechanism...any more issues and/or feedaback?  I have 58k so well out of the bumper to bumper warranty 

On 8/31/2019 at 1:35 PM, spenpet said:

Replying to an old/dead thread hoping there is some new news...I can turn my wheel (in park) and I get the clicks... it isn’t the tie rods or anything related to the suspension... it is something in the steering mechanism...any more issues and/or feedaback?  I have 58k so well out of the bumper to bumper warranty 

There’s a thread on here somewhere and this is the video of the “fix” if it’s the sensor. Mine makes the noise but I haven’t tried this “fix” yet but I’m going to since the price is right ?.

If I find the thread I’ll post it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

There’s a thread on here somewhere and this is the video of the “fix” if it’s the sensor. Mine makes the noise but I haven’t tried this “fix” yet but I’m going to since the price is right ?.

If I find the thread I’ll post it

So just like the gas pedal lag... just a rigged spacing issue the engineers should have been better to account for!  Thank you so much for posting! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, spenpet said:

So just like the gas pedal lag... just a rigged spacing issue the engineers should have been better to account for!  Thank you so much for posting! 

I did this fix...and the click is still there...it is deeper in the steering column... :(

• 3 weeks later...