Steering wheel clicking?

I have the same clicking noise on my stock '17 Sierra Denali when turning steering wheel to the left since new. With each revolution wheel will make a single click. Just had it in shop & advisor told me the clock spring was rubbing. Drove it off lot & noise still there. Plan on bringing it back in next week to investigate further. Mention to service advisor about this thread with steering wheel position sensor being the problem & he stated that if it was bad it would throw a code. Is this the case, maybe just a bad fitting sensor?

I think that's a different sound than what mine is making. Mine makes it standing still and turning the wheel. There is another thread on here where the wheel was making a clicking sound with each revolution. I'll have to find it for you. Check my youtube video above and let me know if yours is making the same noise.

• 4 weeks later...

My rack was replaced and instantly the clicking is gone. It's been a couple weeks now and all is good. The steering feels much tighter than before, almost harder to turn the wheel. The part number for my rack was different than what previous posters have posted. I also noticed there is a software sticker on the heat sink it says 11.03.00 Software.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article where GM says the electric steering isn't heavy duty enough for a 2500. In my opinion then it's not good enough for a 1500.

PUTC: Why not put heavier-duty electronic power steering in the HDs like GM has in the half-ton and midsize pickups?

Symons: The EPS rack-and-pinion components aren't robust enough to handle the weights and steering loads heavy-duty pickups place on them. That's why we've stayed with hydraulic recirculating ball steering systems in the HD and added Digital Steering Assist. It's the best of both worlds.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/10/what-you-need-to-know-about-gms-new-hd-steering-assist.html

EPS racks aren't used on HD trucks two reasons

1) Strength

2) 3/4 and 1-ton trucks are not regulated by the EPA for fuel economy. EPS is a fuel economy-driven design.

EPS is here to stay unfortunately. Ford uses it on the F-150, Ram uses it on the 1500, and GM uses it on the twins. Toyota doesn't use it currently, but the Tundra is over 10 years old and gets 17 MPG highway for a reason.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

My rack was replaced and instantly the clicking is gone. It's been a couple weeks now and all is good. The steering feels much tighter than before, almost harder to turn the wheel. The part number for my rack was different than what previous posters have posted. I also noticed there is a software sticker on the heat sink it says 11.03.00 Software.

Is it possible for you to post the new rack part number? Also, are things still operating without any clicking noises and has the steering gotten any easier?

• 2 weeks later...

Is yours leveled? If so which level do you have? I have a 2.5 RC in my 2014 and everything you are saying and watching your video is exactly the same as my truck. When I bought the truck they tried to sell me an extended warranty and I declined saying I was just going to void it anyway with the 2.5 level and they told me anything under four is fine. We will see. I miss my 08...Had 100k when I traded it in and I had zero issues with any of this. Had a 2.5 RC level in it for over 75k and I only replaced a wheel bearing and a lower ball joint when it hit 95k. If it was a crew cab instead of an extended I would have kept it. Putting the baby in the back of an extended cab got old quick.

Edited by BUDMANZ71

• 2 weeks later...

So I am sitting at the dealer now, they are doing my last free oil change and trying to diagnose the steering wheel clicking.  The repair at the last oil change did nothing, so it will be interesting to hear what they say.......

Yep same here, once I took out the RC 2.5 level , my 2014 Sierra stopped clicking. 

My 2016 Sierra with 1.5 level does not click . Had the level on now for 15k ,

The clicking is because the truck has been modified. IMO

It amazes me how so many guys reporting a noise in theirbsteering system can't be bothered to record the noise on their smartphone and upload it to one of a dozen free video hosts. Such a waste of tume otherwise.

Here ya go

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155635082201271&id=749806270