Paint / Color matched Door Handles & Mirror Caps

• 1 month later...

Everyone who is waiting for them on ebay, you might want to check with your local body shops. I was playing the same waiting game from tony green for White Diamond Handles and mirror caps after I missed out on a set he had for $300. I waited a month and nothing nowhere. I took it by a local body shop and got them done in 2 days for $260. Sanded, smoothed, painted perfectly to match and installed. Maybe I was lucky but I would check around.........

Everyone who is waiting for them on ebay, you might want to check with your local body shops. I was playing the same waiting game from tony green for White Diamond Handles and mirror caps after I missed out on a set he had for $300. I waited a month and nothing nowhere. I took it by a local body shop and got them done in 2 days for $260. Sanded, smoothed, painted perfectly to match and installed. Maybe I was lucky but I would check around.........

Where are you located? I want that deal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Where are you located? I want that deal!

I am in New Mexico. I was thinking that was pretty darn reasonable. They look perfect and nice and smoothed also. I would have never thought I could get that price until I asked......It might be worth someone's time to try?

I just wanna send them a set of handles! My guy won't touch them because there isn't any profit!

Someone know a good shop on Austin?

Here's a picture of the tailgate handle I ordered, with the chrome and painted the rest to match. I also debadged the tailgate only left all terrain on right. Painted front gmc emblem, fender flares and fog light surround. Next is the mirrors.

post-131420-0-89541600-1403051075_thumb.jpg

post-131420-0-38006300-1403051162_thumb.jpg

Changed out my factory door handles to color matched. They look awesome. The GM tool (BO 51363) is a bit expensive,but makes the task a real piece of cake. I also got the matching mirror caps,but haven't done those yet,as I'm not sure exactly how they come off. The GM instruction sheet says to basically lift up and outward. Using your hands? No type of tool? Looking at the tabs on the new ones, I don't see how that would work.

Changing the handles has been covered,but really nothing (unless I missed it) about the mirror caps.

Could someone who has changed theirs please shed some light on this.

Changed out my factory door handles to color matched. They look awesome. The GM tool (BO 51363) is a bit expensive,but makes the task a real piece of cake. I also got the matching mirror caps,but haven't done those yet,as I'm not sure exactly how they come off. The GM instruction sheet says to basically lift up and outward. Using your hands? No type of tool? Looking at the tabs on the new ones, I don't see how that would work.

Changing the handles has been covered,but really nothing (unless I missed it) about the mirror caps.

Could someone who has changed theirs please shed some light on this.

I just did mine on Saturday. I was also unable to find any good instruction on doing it. My best advice is take your time!

If you look at your new caps, you'll notice there are 2 clips along the bottom that will obviously snap onto something on the mirror body. So that was my first step, popping them off from the bottom first. I used a putty knife (anything thin and flat) to pry under the bottom and pop them out a bit. Just look at the color matched one to see the location and line up your tool of choice to pop them apart.

The tricky part is how they're hooked on at the top. I have no idea how you're supposed to go from here. I went back and from from left to right just pulling a bit, crossing my fingers, wondering if I should quit, and back to pulling. The first one finally popped off and I broke one of the tabs that's on the mirror itself. They basically lock the thing in place and I don't see how you get access to them with the cap on. Thankfully, my new cap holds in place perfectly and the broken tab made no difference. Then I went to the driver side and repeated the process, no tabs broke that time.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I've been waiting to find colored matched stuff also. In the mean time i Plasti-Dipped my door handles, mirror caps, window trim and side steps.

I use to own a 2011 GMC 2500 Denali that had tow mirrows on it. i bought the chrome covers roughed them up and had them painted black.

Brews,thanks a bunch for the info you provided. :) Guess I'll give it a shot this weekend.

You got it! Post up if you find a better solution. And hang onto the black ones in case you have to put them back on haha.

I haven't checked on these mirrors yet but on most others, I just move the mirror lenses left right up in down and look behind in find the little clips holding it in and just unclip um using a skinny screwdriver.

Went to the dealer yesterday and talked to the parts manager about color matched door handles. Why is that they look at you like you are the only person in the world who doesn't want chrome handles. I gave him the VIN from the loaner truck he said that has chrome handles also, i said really they are painted silver like the rest of the truck. It really shouldn't be this hard.