Rancher grille guard sets off collision detection

is it possible to do this in the menu settings and keep them saved?? every time i shut off the truck, they come back on and i have to turn it off again. i can't get them to save after i shut off.

BTW: KUUG, did the links to the pics with the guard come through?

I dont know about it saving the setting, I've never shut mine off

Yes I was able to view the pictures. I'm guess the middle sensors are where your picking it up from

Seems like you only have two options if you want to keep that guard:

a) Disconnect the two sensors closest to the grille guard vertical supports (simply look behind bumper & unplug) and operate with just remaining two sensors... though the effectiveness of system will be significantly reduced.

b) Drill holes in grille guard and relocate sensors. You could purchase two additional senors or just move two of the existing ones.

Isn't there an option in the settings for the sensors that you can chose between off, on, and on with bar (last part is probably called something different but I can't remember off the top of my head)?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Howdy OP. I have a 14 GMC slt with the front sensors and have a Frontier installed. (I said a ranch hand but it is a Frontier). No problems with mine. The guy that did it has been doing accessories for quite sometime and triple checks all his install jobs.

Said first one he did too twice as long as it kept setting them off. Mine was the first GMC he did and took him about half the time. Bet it just needs a little adjustment.

I hit a deer 3 weeks after getting my pickups so getting a guarde was a priority as wanted to have a bit more protection.

I bet a deer will still damage your truck with or without the light bar, err sorry grill guard as you put it.

Truth is those guards are junk and do nothing in the event of a collision.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC using Tapatalk

Eh ranch hands are pretty tough. The uprights are about half as thick as a Thunderstruck's, but they're still pretty good. Not like they're a JC Whitney special or anything.

When you say collision I'm assuming you're saying another vehicle or a tree. That's not what they're for. I can tell you deer bounce right off though. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok, for those of you who just might be interested in what happened with me and my Ranch Hand grill guard....

well, the short of it is Ranch Hand ended up telling my installer that "... we have not been able to get the grill guards to work on all of the 2014 silverados equipped with front bumper sensors...". Keep in mind, this is the grill guard that they sell as compatible with the 2014 w/sensors.

So... it's going back, and i'm getting an IronCross (ironcrossautomotive.com) bumper/grill guard combo.

here are some of the fun responses my installer received from the various ranch hand factory shops while trying to get this grill guard to work:

".. You must have busted the sensors when you installed the mounting brackets."

- nope, pulled it off and sensors worked fine.

".. maybe we sent you one with mounting holes drilled in the wrong place"

- not so bad, they did ship another for us to try out, but it still had the same issue.... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

"..some trucks come from the factory with the sensors all messed up. the truck needs the sensors recalibrated at the dealer"

- uhm, installer didn't get any warm and fuzzy responses from the dealers about that one.

".. uh, the grills won't work on some trucks."

- huh? is there that big a difference between one silverado bumper and another from the same year and model?

anyway... just thought I'd share. i'll post pics with the new bumper/guard once it's on there.

Archived