2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

I don't care for Diamondback covers. The locking mechanism is very...rudimentary and I don't know who made their key locks for them, but it was common for them to break. I bet Diamondback had to replace 99% of them,

I don't mean to be an AHole or anything, I'm just searching for info because the Diamondback cover tops my list right now. Most covers have had people complain about certain things. Seems no cover is perfect. While looking up reviews of the diamondback I have only heard people mention the seals sometimes freeze in the winter and sometimes the seals come off. After searching I can't find anything about the key locks braking. Personally I believe the locking mechanism is Indeed basic, but that seems to be the case with most covers. sometimes keeping it simple works. With the locking arms that pivot under the side rails....it seems like one of the most secure ways t lock a cover down. I have never seen one in person. So I have to ask, are you speaking from experience you had while owning one yourself? reviews on line? Again, I only ask because I plan on buying one and would like info.

Thanks

UPDATE: turns out they were having problems with their locks. I emailed them for pricing and asked about locks. They had this to say....

"The locks were an issue, as we had a huge batch that was bad from our manufacturer. We have since got brand new heavy duty locks from a new company. They are awesome, and so far 7 months in have a 100% success rate with them. "

Edited by Jaybridge88

Am getting a Roll N Lock installed on mine today. Had one on my last truck for 10+ years. The thing is a beast. Locks to the bedrails and tailgate. Very minor water intrusion at the tail gate corners (not the cover's fault). No issues to speak of. Customer service is incredible. I contacted them for replacement parts after a failed attempt to break into my bedcover. New lock, linkage, tailgate bar, latches etc. all shipped to the house for ~$70. They included a tune up kit which included all new weathersripping, guides, normal wear parts ans stuff. ALL FOR FREE!

Pictures:

post-146984-0-19919000-1442841453_thumb.jpg

post-146984-0-16328400-1442841470_thumb.jpg

post-146984-0-46142500-1442841481_thumb.jpg

post-146984-0-25637100-1442841499_thumb.jpg

post-146984-0-08041200-1442841511_thumb.jpg

post-146984-0-76756800-1442841522_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Pictures:

That's a great looking cover. Seeing your pics made me interested so I checked out their website. The install video shows what looks like a metal bar being screwed into the top ledge of the tailgate. I think this is how it locks to the tailgate. I was wondering if this piece would hinder someone loading something in their bed using ramps. Would it get in the way, cause ramps to slip off, or be crushed by ramps?

Thanks

I about had my dealer's head for screwing through the body and tailgate on my BRAND NEW TRUCK to install the factory "drop-in liner". There's NO WAY that I would ever consider the Roll N Lock since they require screwing into the tailgate.

Drop-in liners always used to use the cleats in the beds to hold them in place. With those being replaced with welded on loops, it's no longer an option. Too bad.

Edited by ember1205

The things that sold me most on this cover were:

1- I had one on my previous truck and loved it.

2- The customer service ( ordered replacement parts when old cover was 10+ years old)

3- With just a few pieces of weatherstripping in the right places, it's like 99% waterproof.

4- It locks to the rails and the tailgate. Very secure.

5- It doesn't cover up the grab pockets on the rear of the bed.

6- It doesn't cover up the Chevrolet logo on the bed caps.

Hey Jaybridge88, the tailgate bracket is very thick, you want crush it with ramps.

Edited by Cheverado

I about had my dealer's head for screwing through the body and tailgate on my BRAND NEW TRUCK to install the factory "drop-in liner". There's NO WAY that I would ever consider the Roll N Lock since they require screwing into the tailgate.

Drop-in liners always used to use the cleats in the beds to hold them in place. With those being replaced with welded on loops, it's no longer an option. Too bad.

If you don't want the cover to lock to the tail gate, you can remove the latches from the cover and slide the rails back til they touch the tailgate. The cover will then extend about 3/8" over the top of your tailgate. I had my 2003 set up that way.

• Like 1

I've been jumping around a bit, and doing some research on different options for truck bed storage. I'm starting to think maybe a tonneau cover or a topper might not be the best for me. I just saw a roll out truck bed storage solution called "Decked". It is two roll out draws that are water proof that install in the bottom of your truck bed....below the side rails. The deck itself can handle 2000lbs on top of it while both draws can handle 200lbs of cargo. They are water proof but if you want you could us a draw for a cooler if you wanted. I'm not exactly sure how install/removal is but it seems it wouldn't be that difficult to remove. This would cover most of my needs. Waterproof took storage, I can park a quad on top of it, they seem secure, tools and cargo won't roll around on you. I have not emailed them, but the video link I'm posting says they cost from $900 for base. With locks and tie downs I believe he said they are about $1100.

Has anyone had any experience with this manufacturer or their products?

Sorry I know, I know this is a tonneau cover thread, but I'm just kind of talking out load about my options and hope others will weigh in. Maybe providing more knowledge to some that might get use out of it.

Try to ignore that they use a ford in the video ?

Edited by Jaybridge88

I've been jumping around a bit, and doing some research on different options for truck bed storage. I'm starting to think maybe a tonneau cover or a topper might not be the best for me. I just saw a roll out truck bed storage solution called "Decked". It is two roll out draws that are water proof that install in the bottom of your truck bed....below the side rails. The deck itself can handle 2000lbs on top of it while both draws can handle 200lbs of cargo. They are water proof but if you want you could us a draw for a cooler if you wanted. I'm not exactly sure how install/removal is but it seems it wouldn't be that difficult to remove. This would cover most of my needs. Waterproof took storage, I can park a quad on top of it, they seem secure, tools and cargo won't roll around on you. I have not emailed them, but the video link I'm posting says they cost from $900 for base. With locks and tie downs I believe he said they are about $1100.

Has anyone had any experience with this manufacturer or their products?

Sorry I know, I know this is a tonneau cover thread, but I'm just kind of talking out load about my options and hope others will weigh in. Maybe providing more knowledge to some that might get use out of it.

Try to ignore that they use a ford in the video

http://youtu.be/zJUUntOdKv0 This video is a install in a gm truck if you haven't already seen it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the Bakflip yesterday and I must say it looks nice! It wasn't hard to install, just followed the instructions. It rained hard last night and no rain in the bed of the truck! Thanks Chuck for the drain line mod..

Is yours the 6' 6" bed? I was getting ready to order the VP, but not sure if there are fit issues, I just have the Line-X liner.

Is yours the 6' 6" bed? I was getting ready to order the VP, but not sure if there are fit issues, I just have the Line-X liner.

I tried an HD on a 6'6" bed and it was too short. Period. Built to spec, but the spec is wrong.

I put a G2 on a 5'8" bed and it's ALSO too short. Not as much too short as on the 6'6" bed, but still too short. You will need a tailgate seal kit because of the water infiltration that happens while sitting still in the rain.

attachicon.gifIMG_0636.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0639.JPG

Put on a Leer 700 tonneau cover and a bed rug.

How do you like the Leer? Why the 700 over the 550? I'm a little disappointed that this is maybe one of two one piece hard covers I have seen reviewed in this 65 plus page thread?

My VP is installed on my 6' 6" bed...I have a Bedrug and bed seal kit (including tailgate seal) installed. No fitment or leak issues.

Edited by chuckl1218

My VP is installed on my 6' 6" bed...I have a Bedrug and bed seal kit (including tailgate seal) installed. No fitment or leak issues.

Thanks Chuck, this is what is confusing to me, yours is fine, but reading through this entire thread, I see Mark is adamant about the fact that they do not fit the 6'6" bed. Could they have possibly fixed the issue?

Thanks Chuck, this is what is confusing to me, yours is fine, but reading through this entire thread, I see Mark is adamant about the fact that they do not fit the 6'6" bed. Could they have possibly fixed the issue?

IDK...I've read all of other folks comments...I like my VP...I've had good interaction with their customer service when needed...no leaks and mine fits to suit me fine. My VP was purchased two years ago as it was the first mod I put on after purchase. I had a F1 on my 2011 and it fit the same as the VP does on the 2014. No issues with that one either.

Edited by chuckl1218

The problem persists with Bak. It's worse on the four-panel covers than on the three-panel ones (6' bed and longer), and is specifically a problem with how much material overlaps the front rail and the top of the tailgate. The issue is "not as bad" on the 5'8" beds, but it's a problem just the same.

If you go out of your way to seal up every little crack everywhere else and be anal about the exact positioning of the cover, you'll likely suffer minimal water infiltration. Still, the spec that they build the covers to is ridiculous. The 6'6" bed measures 78" from the inside of the front rail to the inside of the gate. The portion of the cover that "hangs down" inside of the bed is built to 76 3/4" and the part that overlaps the top is only 78 1/2". I'm sorry, but you're never going to convince me that 1/4" of overlap of the weatherstrip material is enough to seal it.

On the 5'8" beds, the overlap is more like 3/8" at each end. Still way too short, but "better" than the longer beds.

What I don't understand is whether this is a GM-specific problem, specific to the current generation of GM trucks, or if they've somehow made their designs worse overall. I had an F1 on my '11 Tundra Crewmax that fit great and there was never a single drop of water inside the bed.

These covers SUCK on the new GM's.