2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

I'm going with the Bakflip VP tonneau cover. Low profile, and supposed to be water tight. They don't even need the tubes in the bed for drainage. Getting it installed Tuesday.

Tubes are included with the VP. If you don't install them, your rails WILL drain into your bed.

The install guide they publish is for "all models", and shows them. Definitely post up your experience with yours. I never had a drop of water in the drain tubes of the F1 that was on my Tundra, but these truck seems to be very 'leaky' with these covers. I really wish Bak would fix the design for the GM trucks so that they're the correct size (they're all too short front to back).

The install guide they publish is for "all models", and shows them. Definitely post up your experience with yours. I never had a drop of water in the drain tubes of the F1 that was on my Tundra, but these truck seems to be very 'leaky' with these covers. I really wish Bak would fix the design for the GM trucks so that they're the correct size (they're all too short front to back).

I was talking to a guy at a local truck accessories shop and he said the new truck designs are making for beds that are very tough to keep dry with the BAK / Undercover Flex style covers. I can see that. I am glad I went to a cover that sits on top of the bed rails but, I do miss the flexibility of having a cover that gives full bed access.

I was talking to a guy at a local truck accessories shop and he said the new truck designs are making for beds that are very tough to keep dry with the BAK / Undercover Flex style covers. I can see that. I am glad I went to a cover that sits on top of the bed rails but, I do miss the flexibility of having a cover that gives full bed access.

The VP is unlike the undercover flex in which it has no visible hinges. It's one piece construction.

The issue with bed design is that there are points underneath the rails where water can infiltrate the bed. I don't believe it has anything to do with the covers themselves being over the rails or not. The specific issue with Bak, UnderCover, Gator, etc. is that the covers are too short (at least on the 6.5' bed).

The VP is unlike the undercover flex in which it has no visible hinges. It's one piece construction.

Not really. It's the same as a G2, HD, etc. except that a single piece of vinyl is stretched from front to back over the panels. As a result, the panels aren't fully framed like they are on those other models and the cover ends up being lighter weight.

If it were "one piece construction", it would be hinged at the front and would not fold.

The video on the bakflip website said otherwise. I guess I will find out Tuesday. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, the video says that, but my VP came with tubes. But I have never seen water in the tubes, nor any leaks in the bed after I sealed the bed and tailgate (even after car washes).

Another thing I've noticed (and I have a friend who noticed this too)...I do not have a spray in liner or anything on my front bed rail. So the gasket is attached directly to the painted surface and tight between the side bed rail covers. This MAY have something to do with the water seal on the front. My friend's VIP leaks at the front corners and his Line-X goes over the front rail. He used to get water in the sides and by the tailgate until be installed the bed seal kit (which I also have. He hasn't been able to resolve the front corner leak completely, but solved the rest.

I had the same issue with my last truck's GM drop in - it wasn't squarely installed and I had to trim it to get the BakFlip F1 installed. Not fun at all.

The pressure of the cover "squishing" the seal between the rail and the cover is enough to close up any sort of gaps from the Line-X over the front rail. In order to get the seal tight from side to side, however, you have to have the seal as cold as is reasonable and cut it just a touch long. By cold, I mean don't leave it out in the sun before you cut it... Maybe put it inside the garage, directly on the cement floor while you're unpacking the cover and installing the rails. When you lay it out on the front rail, leave it just a touch long when you cut it and install from center to edge (this will stretch it ever so slightly toward the side rail caps).

Right, I had the flex. Like Ember said the covers are all too short even with a drop in IMO. I have a tonno pro hard fold, it's not as sexy but I get zero water intrusion. My flex leaked every where including the hinges. I was close to getting a BAK cover but, I couldn't get past their customer service reputation. If I get another cover it will be the truxedo titanium.

Right, I had the flex. Like Ember said the covers are all too short even with a drop in IMO. I have a tonno pro hard fold, it's not as sexy but I get zero water intrusion. My flex leaked every where including the hinges. I was close to getting a BAK cover but, I couldn't get past their customer service reputation. If I get another cover it will be the truxedo titanium.

Keep in mind that Truxedo is owned by THI Corp, and so is Extang, Bak, UnderCover, BedRug, and others. UnderCover and Bak build their covers in the same style, to the exact same size specs. I suspect that the other companies use shared information as well.

I just installed my new Access Tonnosport cover on my new 2014 Silverado. It took me about 30 mins. Was very easy with my trusty Irwin Quick Clamps! It's nice and tight, latches very securely, and seems to be waterproof for the most part. Very high quality construction, and very low profile. Now my new sprayed-in bedliner won't fade and rot in the Florida sun!

Their top-of-the-line "Limited" cover is well over $500. THE TONNOSPORT IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE ACCESS "LIMITED" COVER, BUT 1/2 THE PRICE! I got it for $242 on Amazon with free shipping! Love it!

20150911_173915.jpg

20150911_173931.jpg

20150911_173924.jpg

• Like 2

I like mine (Retrax Pro) and search around/contemplated many include fiberglass covers. Elected to go with the Pro and purchased it direct from Retrax, managing to negotiate it down to wholesale cost. Took about to hours to install. Easy, Efficient, works great.

image_zps116aebf3.jpg

• Like 1