2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

I'd say that either something was wrong with your cover or you didn't install it correctly. You do not have to have a drop-in bedliner with a Bakflip and it also should not leak if you don't have a drop-in bedliner. The Bakflips do not have a non-latching panel, all three panels have latches. Again, something wrong with your cover?

Nope, and nope.

The bed measures almost exactly 78" from the inside of the bulkhead to the inside of the tailgate. The total length of the Bak cover is 78.5" along the top edge, providing exaclt 1/4" of material (the rubber weatherstip, at that - not even part of the actual physical cover) to overlap at each end. It is a DESIGN problem. Bak sent a replacement cover which was identical. They admitted that the design was focused on having the liner installed but wouldn't admit that without a liner, it doesn't fit properly.

They took it back and I received a full refund, including shipping costs. Find my thread on the whole ordeal and read it if you like - all the details are there.

I finally got my bedrug yesterday! I can't wait to install it and remove the factory drop in liner. My Bak G2 tonneau cover will be here next week to finish off the bed. Is there anything special I should know before installing the bedrug and tonneau cover?

Despit what you might read, I have a Bakflip VP installed with my Bedrug liner and it works fine with no leaks. The only special thing I would point out is there are two drain tubes (one in each front corner) that need to drain. I ended up running them behind the Bedrug to where two front tie down ports are. I drilled holes in the plastic insert of the ports and used two 90 degree elbows to run the drain tubes out between the bed and back of the cab. My front rail has no cap, so I used the supplied gasket and it fit great. Good luck.

Despit what you might read, I have a Bakflip VP installed with my Bedrug liner and it works fine with no leaks. The only special thing I would point out is there are two drain tubes (one in each front corner) that need to drain. I ended up running them behind the Bedrug to where two front tie down ports are. I drilled holes in the plastic insert of the ports and used two 90 degree elbows to run the drain tubes out between the bed and back of the cab. My front rail has no cap, so I used the supplied gasket and it fit great. Good luck.

Thanks!! I receive the cover next Tuesday. I will take your advice with the drain hoses. I will report back after the installation. I appreciate all of the comments!

Mike

Is $850 installed a good price for a BakFlip G2 or VP? They said the price was the same for either the G2 or VP. My understanding is that the VP is just the G2 but with a cover over top of it so that you don't see the folds, is that correct?

Is $850 installed a good price for a BakFlip G2 or VP? They said the price was the same for either the G2 or VP. My understanding is that the VP is just the G2 but with a cover over top of it so that you don't see the folds, is that correct?

Yes and yes, pretty much.

I paid $717 shipped for my Bakflip G2, so they charge over 100 bucks an hour for labor! Maybe they didn't discount the price of the cover.

So you didn't have tie downs in your bed? I have metal tie downs in front and back. I need to find another solution for water drainage. There are holes in the forward part of the bed for drainage, I could just point the hoses in that direction.

So you didn't have tie downs in your bed? I have metal tie downs in front and back. I need to find another solution for water drainage. There are holes in the forward part of the bed for drainage, I could just point the hoses in that direction.

Yes, I do have metal tie downs in the lower part of each corner of the bed. Remember, we also have 9 optional tie down points in the upper part of the box where you can attach removable tie downs. These are normally covered with plastic inserts. When using the Bedrug, you cut a slot through the material where you have these lower and upper tie downs. For instance, in my upper tie downs points, I have 4 GM movable tie downs and two Bull Ring tie downs on the sides. In the front, I use the left and right top tie down points for my drains by drilling a hole in the plastic cover, and inserting a 90 degree elbow through it. I attach the supplied drain tube to the BakFlip rail corner, feed it behind the Bedrug to the elbow and then out between the cab and bed.

Hey Chuck what size 90 degree elbows are they? I will stop by Home Depot on the way home to pick them up. The cover arrives today.

I appreciate the pic!

Mike

Hey Chuck what size 90 degree elbows are they? I will stop by Home Depot on the way home to pick them up. The cover arrives today.

I appreciate the pic!

Mike

Wow, I really don't remember. I took the tube with me to Home Depot to figure it out.