2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

Okay guys, I'm striking out on tonneau's for my '14. I tried the undercover flex for about 18 months but, it was not water resistant enough for my liking. I have now had two tonno pro hard fold's both work OK but, they can't seem to get the hinges right and the cover won't lay flat so I've got a huge hump on the side of the cover and the wind noise from the vinyl flapping against the aluminum chassis kinda sucks too so I am thinking of returning both the original and the replacement that Tonno Pro sent me.

My priorities are;

#1 mostly water resistant, if it sits in a down pour for 10 hours I can tolerate a few drops but, not a few cups of water.

#1.5 Must be some kind of 'hard cover' for security.

#2 Bed access, I either need to be able to roll or fold up the cover to get most of the bed open, like a roll-x or bakflip kind of cover or the cover needs to be easily removed like a tonno pro hard fold or extang solid fold.

#3 I don't want to spend more than $7-800ish if I can help it.

Here is a pic of the hinge miss-alignment on the tonnopro:

tonno%20pro%20hinge_zpssn4w2iol.jpg

Check out the Advantage Hard Hat. I have had mine for about a year without issue. it seals well and sits flat like you are describing you would want. Folds up nicely or you can just remove it in about 2 minutes if necessary. It comes with either a vinyl top or a canvas top (very nice) and is in your price range. My bed has been dry since I bought mine. i have yet to see any water in my bed. I have a Bedrug so maybe there has been a little but I have checked and never seen any. I think you would be very pleased with it. Check it out.

• Like 1

Check out the Advantage Hard Hat. I have had mine for about a year without issue. it seals well and sits flat like you are describing you would want. Folds up nicely or you can just remove it in about 2 minutes if necessary. It comes with either a vinyl top or a canvas top (very nice) and is in your price range. My bed has been dry since I bought mine. i have yet to see any water in my bed. I have a Bedrug so maybe there has been a little but I have checked and never seen any. I think you would be very pleased with it. Check it out.

The fact that Advantage is yet another company owned by THI (Bak, UnderCover, Truxedo, etc.) would be all I would need to completely discount them. It's sad that there isn't a TRUE quality cover out there.

I'm basically at the point where, because of some "life changes", I really don't have a need for a cover much any more. I may just drive this truck for a year or so, swap up to a Crew Cab with the short bed, and try again with covers that are at least -MOSTLY- properly designed to fit the bed.

The fact that Advantage is yet another company owned by THI (Bak, UnderCover, Truxedo, etc.) would be all I would need to completely discount them. It's sad that there isn't a TRUE quality cover out there.

I'm basically at the point where, because of some "life changes", I really don't have a need for a cover much any more. I may just drive this truck for a year or so, swap up to a Crew Cab with the short bed, and try again with covers that are at least -MOSTLY- properly designed to fit the bed.

To each his own, but my experience with Advantage has been nothing but positive. He asked for other options and this is one.

• Like 1

I realize BAK has a questionable value on this site, but my RollX has been outstanding. No issues so far (installed in 2/15) No rain water, but did get a couple drips when at the car wash and trying to see if under high pressure, it would leak. The secure locking, and easy roll up make it a very good cover. When rolled up, you still have view out the back window. The folding types don't. The retrackable ones use up valuable space for the canister. I think the RollX is the better design...

• Like 2

I realize BAK has a questionable value on this site, but my RollX has been outstanding. No issues so far (installed in 2/15) No rain water, but did get a couple drips when at the car wash and trying to see if under high pressure, it would leak. The secure locking, and easy roll up make it a very good cover. When rolled up, you still have view out the back window. The folding types don't. The retrackable ones use up valuable space for the canister. I think the RollX is the better design...

The primary problem with Bak, and other companies (specifically those owned by THI) producing similar / same products, is bad design. The covers are manufactured to a size specification that ASSUMES that the vehicle has a drop-in bedliner installed. If you have no liner, or have a spray-in liner (as I do), the cover simply does not fit properly and WILL leak.

The secondary problem with Bak specifically, and the more frustrating one, is their terrible customer service.

I owned a 2011 Tundra CrewMax with a factory drop-in liner. I had a Bak F1 that I loved. Zero issues with its operability, and it never leaked a single drop. The HD cover I bought for my mid-length bed GMC was an abomination attributed 100% to design. Four panels instead of three with only three actually attaching to the bed, too short to properly fit the length of the bed, hinge components that were popping out and being damaged through use (unfolding the panels into the rails to close it), no security (because it was too short), etc. When I contacted Bak, they were all over the map with their responses as to whether there was a problem or not, what the design spec really was supposed to be, etc. I have a thread on here about the trials and tribulations of the whole series of events if you want to search it out and read through it.

If you get a good one, and it seals up well, that's great. You should have a nice cover for a long time. Anything less, and you're in for a LOT of headaches.

I'm probably going to order the Bak Revolver X2 soon. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I've already ordered it. Haven't received it yet, but looks like an improvement over the already nice roll-x. I have yet to see a negative review on the roll-x, so I assume this one will be no different...

• Like 1

Revolver x2 is very tempting I just hesitate because of BAK's poor customer service reputation. I'm leaning towards either letting tonnopro send me another cover, they say they'll really inspect this one "closely", picking up a solid fold 2.0 or a BAK revolver x2. My favorite for function and appearance is the revolver but, I have more confidence in extang for customer service.

From what I can tell THI is a holding company, I think that the companies they hold are allowed to operate independently.

I was going to get a revolver but, I talked to the local truck accessories guy yesterday and he said the truxedo titanium is just about ready to go and he saw a warehouse full of boxes ready to ship. Given BAK's shady reputation I'm going to stick with the tonno pro for now until the titanium hits the streets, give it about a year to see if they need to work out bugs, then sell the tonno pro and buy a titanium.

I finally got my bedrug yesterday! I can't wait to install it and remove the factory drop in liner. My Bak G2 tonneau cover will be here next week to finish off the bed. Is there anything special I should know before installing the bedrug and tonneau cover?

I finally got my bedrug yesterday! I can't wait to install it and remove the factory drop in liner. My Bak G2 tonneau cover will be here next week to finish off the bed. Is there anything special I should know before installing the bedrug and tonneau cover?

Yeah... Without a drop-in liner in the bed, the tonneau won't fit properly. Bak builds their covers to fit reasonably well when there's additional material on the tailgate and along the inside of the builhead. If you don't have the thicker plastic of a drop-in liner there, you're going to have a tough time getting the cover installed in such a way as to keep if from leaking and/or actually covering the tailgate.

I went through a whole process with Bak trying to put an HD on my '15 Sierra with the 6'6" bed. It never installed properly, leaked, and didn't butt up against the tailgate correctly to provide the "security" they advertise because I have a spray-in liner and don't have the extra material of a drop-in to take up space.

Additionally, there is a non-latching panel present on all but the covers for the short beds. Additional lack of security and potential for leaking because the whole panel just "floats" and is held down by the panel on either side. Took me about three seconds with a coat hangar to open the cover with the gate closed.

Ended up returning the cover and haven't found one yet to replace it because there's nothing on the market that suits my needs properly.

I'd say that either something was wrong with your cover or you didn't install it correctly. You do not have to have a drop-in bedliner with a Bakflip and it also should not leak if you don't have a drop-in bedliner. The cover should fit properly either way. Some drop-ins interfere with the clamps and you have to cut part of the drop-in. If you have a drop-in that is an "over the rails" drop-in, then the cover will not work at all. The Bakflips do not have a non-latching panel, all panels have latches. Again, something wrong with your cover?

Edited by TruckDaddy