2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

I'm not coming to Bak's defense here, I have no doubt Bak has problems, but last Saturday I was in the largest topper store in Denver and spoke to the owner who told me he'd have absolutely no problem dumping Bak and just going with the other brands he carries if he had any real issues with them. He carries several brands, including Fold-A-Cover but despite all that he sells more Bak than he does all the others he carries combined by a wide margin. He said he's only had one issue in the past six months with a Bak tonneau, and they sent out a replacement without delay. Has this changed my decision NOT to buy a Bak? Not really...

So, he can sell the product and clearly turns a good profit on it. What does that have to do with -him- having issues with Bak? Once the return period is over (and it may well be very strict on covers), everything goes through the manufacturer. THAT'S where Bak falls flat on their face, hard.

They make a mediocre product based on super-minimalistic designs and don't stand behind it. They can't even get their own story straight internally on their products and different people tell you different things about the products. When I challenged them on their half-baked design for the 6.5' bed trucks, the warranty guy said he'd call my reseller, and three days later a pre-paid shipping label showed up with no further communications from anyone. He knew I had him cornered as to their horrendous design and had no way to actually address the issue and he washed his hands of the whole thing.

I'm not coming to Bak's defense here, from all I've read here my opinion is Bak customer service has big problems, but last Saturday I was in the largest topper store in Denver and spoke to the owner who told me he'd have absolutely no problem dumping Bak and just going with the other brands he carries if he had any real issues with them. He carries several brands, including Fold-A-Cover but despite all that he sells more Bak than he does all the other brands he carries combined by a wide margin. (Including less expensive tonneaus) He said he's only had one issue in the past six months with a Bak tonneau, and they sent out a replacement without delay. Has this changed my decision NOT to buy a Bak? Not really...

I also have a Bax FiberMax. Have had no problems at all with it. The only leakage I have had is the result of a power washing at a car wash when I sprayed the wand directly at the seals and it forced water inside. Otherwise it has been fantastic. It's the best cover I've seen, it's very low profile stays latched well, provides a good clean look to the truck. Guess time will tell. Had it about a month.

Edited by dbannerz71

So, he can sell the product and clearly turns a good profit on it. What does that have to do with -him- having issues with Bak? Once the return period is over (and it may well be very strict on covers), everything goes through the manufacturer. THAT'S where Bak falls flat on their face, hard.

They make a mediocre product based on super-minimalistic designs and don't stand behind it. They can't even get their own story straight internally on their products and different people tell you different things about the products. When I challenged them on their half-baked design for the 6.5' bed trucks, the warranty guy said he'd call my reseller, and three days later a pre-paid shipping label showed up with no further communications from anyone. He knew I had him cornered as to their horrendous design and had no way to actually address the issue and he washed his hands of the whole thing.

Agreed.

I need to add though that the topper store owner I was speaking about was saying that if he had a lot of customers coming in saying "Hey that Bak Tonneau cover you sold me is junk" even if he wasn't having to deal directly with Bak on the warranty issues, he'd stil drop them. "The majority of my business is toppers (Camper shells) I don't need Baks business that badly"

I like the appearance of the Bak very much, and if my new truck was only gonna sit in my garage and look good FOREVER, I'd run right out and buy one, but since I plan to actually use my truck (When it finally gets here) I'm still shopping...

I ended up going with the Truxedo Lo Pro QT. It was between that and the Tonno Pro Loroll. I figured for the extra money I'd support local business and get a made in the USA product. I'm happy with, we'll see how it works out long term.

Has anyone been able to find a folding tonneau cover that matches the grey plastic of the factory bed rails? I am all about uniformity and making things look like they belong on my truck. Every tonneau cover I see is either gloss or matte black and or paint matched to the truck. I would go with a paint matching cover but none of them cover the bed rails so it just doesn't look right to me. any thoughts? has anyone tried to paint their tonneau cover?

If you want a TCUSA cover, go buy the "Truck Gear by LINE-X Retractable Cover" from a LINE-X dealer. It's the same exact cover and price, but you get a lifetime warranty instead of a 2-year warranty.

I did debate that, but I couldn't find a place that would sell me the cover without installation. I got the cover with the keyless entry and a tailgate seal for $1413 from autoanything. Retail is $1650 plus installation/tailgate seal so it all depends on what the warranty is worth to you.

2015 GMC Sierra SLT with 5.3L V8.

Went with the retrax pro rolling cover in gloss black. Cover works excellent if you just want a secure way to store stuff in the bed. Cover looks great but you lose a 14" by 12" area in the front of the bed for the box that hold the cover when rolled up. You lose a big chunk of the short bed.

post-140070-0-40675600-1430953715_thumb.jpg

I have a question for the owners of the fold up hard covers. When it is folded up, are there rubber bumpers to keep it from scratching the cab before you get the support rods fastened?

Thanks!

I have a question for the owners of the fold up hard covers. When it is folded up, are there rubber bumpers to keep it from scratching the cab before you get the support rods fastened?

Thanks!

On the undercover flex, if you let it go against the cab it hits the cargo / third brake light so it won't scratch the cab.

• Like 1