2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

Will a tonneau cover like a roll-n-lock, retrax, or pace edwards create a secure, locking trunk? Or do you have to have one in conjunction with the locking tailgate?

I would like to have the equivalent of a large, waterproof trunk that can also open up to move a couch or something large when needed.

I went with the Retrax Pro with the contoured bed rails and flush profile as I did not want to have to deal with pulling a fiberglass topper off when wanting to carry loads that extend above the height of the bed. Also like the feature that I can slide it back at whatever depth needed while using it to butt up against and secure my cargo against the tailgate. That, coupled with its locking feature in conjunction with the tailgate lock allow securing the entire bed area when needed.

post-128133-0-57065400-1428152202_thumb.jpg

Edited by rewillia

I installed a Gator FX3 today. $740 from tonneaucoversworld

fc83f786699698b160f778718452801b.jpg

8a6f435105a68e735dee749a2438c691.jpg

30215397a25fd0e5e6745da18dfb42eb.jpg

This cover looks like it's a direct knock-off / copy of the Bak G2. Any input on that? And, what's your impression of its size compared to that of the bed? It seems like the rear panel falls in just about the exact same spot as my Bak HD, and my opinoin is that it means the cover is too short by about 1.5" (because it's also pulled all the way back to the back-most edge of the bulkhead rail).

This cover looks like it's a direct knock-off / copy of the Bak G2. Any input on that? And, what's your impression of its size compared to that of the bed? It seems like the rear panel falls in just about the exact same spot as my Bak HD, and my opinoin is that it means the cover is too short by about 1.5" (because it's also pulled all the way back to the back-most edge of the bulkhead rail).

I've been researching this for days now, and I'm pretty sure the Gator FX3 is a "direct knock off / copy" of the Bak Fibermax, I even read somewhere today (Cant remember where, its all a blur now) that somebody ordered a Gator FX3 and it showed up in a Bak Industries box!

I ordered a '15 Denali short box 2 weeks ago and keep changing my mind about what cover I want. I decided not to go through the dealer, since I can beat their prices easily, and being an aircraft mechanic by profession, installation isn't a factor / concern.

Here"s where I'm at, all suggestions are appreciated:

I want a hard cover, but not a 1 piece. My Harley could ride in the bed someday, so that ruled out (for me) styles like the Roll-N-Lock due to lost bed space. I don't particularly like the above bed style roll ups either since they appear to only allow fully open or fully closed use. I like the Fold a Cover G4, but just like a Roll-N-Lock style I would have to remove it and leave it behind if I want to to carry my Harley. (I Wouldn't like that) The Undercover Flex was also considered since it can be swung completely out of the bed, but I understand their support rods wouldn't support the lid at interstate highway speeds, which are 80 mph in this part of the country.

For me, that keeps bringing me back to the Bak Fibermax, or F1, or possibly even the Gator FX1. The idea of the lid swinging all the way to the cab is nice, plus their support rod setup seems better suited for use on the interstate. Blocking the rearward view is a non-factor for me, that's what side mirrors are for, which makes one of these my most likely choice BUT, in all my reading I haven't heard anything good about Bak's customer service.

I'm done for today, all this has given me a headache... :nonod:

Edited by jetfixer737

I've been researching this for days now, and I'm pretty sure the Gator FX3 is a "direct knock off / copy" of the Bak Fibermax, I even read somewhere today (Cant remember where, its all a blur now) that somebody ordered a Gator FX3 and it showed up in a Bak Industries box!

I ordered a '15 Denali short box 2 weeks ago and keep changing my mind about what cover I want. I decided not to go through the dealer, since I can beat their prices easily, and being an aircraft mechanic by profession, installation isn't a factor / concern.

Here"s where I'm at, all suggestions are appreciated:

I want a hard cover, but not a 1 piece. My Harley could ride in the bed someday, so that ruled out (for me) styles like the Roll-N-Lock due to lost bed space. I don't particularly like the above bed style roll ups either since they appear to only allow fully open or fully closed use. I like the Fold a Cover G4, but just like a Roll-N-Lock style I would have to remove it and leave it behind if I want to to carry my Harley. (I Wouldn't like that) The Undercover Flex was also considered since it can be swung completely out of the bed, but I understand their support rods wouldn't support the lid at interstate highway speeds, which are 80 mph in this part of the country.

For me, that keeps bringing me back to the Bak Fibermax, or F1, or possibly even the Gator FX1. The idea of the lid swinging all the way to the cab is nice, plus their support rod setup seems better suited for use on the interstate. Blocking the rearward view is a non-factor for me, that's what side mirrors are for, which makes one of these my most likely choice BUT, in all my reading I haven't heard anything good about Bak's customer service.

I'm done for today, all this has given me a headache... :nonod:

I had a Bak F1 in the past and was happy with it ('11 Tundra Crew Max, short bed). I currently have a Bak HD and am grossly disappointed so far in the cover, and in the customer support. I have a warranty replacement cover arriving tomorrow (my original cover was bad out of the box, no confidence as of yet that the new one will be any better). They claim that the covers for beds longer than about 5'9" (they won't commit to an actual size) are four panels and not three to adhere with a supposed federal law/regulation prohibiting the high-mounted stop light from being covered when it's folded up. But, the UnderCover covers are ALL three panel and use the same 4" wide panel at the front to anchor the cover in the first place.

The Bak HD I currently have leaks at the bulkhead, leaks along each side rail, and leaks at the tailgate. It doesn't sit flush and smooth along the length, the rubber seals have not settled out flat (and it's been on the truck a month), it doesn't fold up smoothly, and I absolutely can't stand that the third panel does not latch to the rail.

The fact that Bak provides no actual technical details (measurements) of the covers, does not indicate that all covers are four panels except for the one for the short bed, and they do no provide ANY vehicle-specific installation instructions is bad enough - their terrible customer service throughout my experience so far has left me feeling like I absolutely NEED to find a different cover and sell this one off before it breaks and they won't honor the warranty on it.

The roll-up covers are useless to me (completely open or completely closed are not the only two options that I need, and giving up bed space won't work for me because I must be able to access the area of my bed all the way to the front). Fold-A-Cover's "you'll just have to take it off if you need access to the whole bed" process doesn't work for me, and I'm skeptical as to the cover over the lock not causing problems during the winter. Cloth / vinly covers just flap around in the wind and make noise and they don't provide any security for items in the bed.

IMHO, the UnderCover cover would be ideal if they'd get their head out of their a$$ and lengthen it by two inches for the 6'6" bed.

IMHO, the UnderCover cover would be ideal if they'd get their head out of their a$$ and lengthen it by two inches for the 6'6" bed.

They do make one for the '14-15 Sierra/Silverado 1500 6'6" bed, model # FX11019. Some call it 6'6" while others call it 6.5' which can be confusing but it's the same thing. Also known as 78.8" according to Undercover. I have one on mine and I love it for what it's worth.

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

Edited by Das Chevrolado

They do make one for the '14-15 Sierra/Silverado 1500 6'6" bed, model # FX11019. Some call it 6'6" while others call it 6.5' which can be confusing but it's the same thing. Also known as 78.8" according to Undercover. I have one on mine and I love it for what it's worth.

I wasn't trying to say they didn't make one, I was saying they need to make it LONGER (it's too short - just like the Bak covers - by about 1.5"-2").

I finally said what the heck and called the guys at "Gatorcovers.com." I spoke to a nice guy there who confirmed for me that the Gator FX3 IS, in fact, a re-labeled Bak Fibermax manufactured in the Bak factory FOR Gatorcovers. I bluntly told him I was interested in the product, but NOT interested in Baks lousy customer service, and that I was concerned that I'd have to deal with Bak if there was an issue. He told me this was not the first time he'd heard about Baks customer service complaints, and if I purchased from Gatorcovers that all my customer service and/or warranty issues would be handled in-house directly with Gator, and that they work hard to maintain a BBB A+ rating.

Something to consider...

I finally said what the heck and called the guys at "Gatorcovers.com." I spoke to a nice guy there who confirmed for me that the Gator FX3 IS, in fact, a re-labeled Bak Fibermax manufactured in the Bak factory FOR Gatorcovers. I bluntly told him I was interested in the product, but NOT interested in Baks lousy customer service, and that I was concerned that I'd have to deal with Bak if there was an issue. He told me this was not the first time he'd heard about Baks customer service complaints, and if I purchased from Gatorcovers that all my customer service and/or warranty issues would be handled in-house directly with Gator, and that they work hard to maintain a BBB A+ rating.

Something to consider...

That's nice, but perhaps this is a false sense of security. You still will only have the Bak warranty. If there's a problem, Gator might make a phone call for you, but don't expect Gator to take any sort of financial hit for a Bak problem.

Edited by TruckDaddy

That's nice, but perhaps this is a false sense of security. You still will only have the Bak warranty. If there's a problem, Gator might make a phone call for you, but don't expect Gator to take any sort of financial hit for a Bak problem.

And you're still dealing with whatever shortcomings there are of the Bak cover itself.

I'm done with Bak. The reseller is trying to push me off to working with Bak, and Bak wants me to work with the reseller. Cover is going back and I'm moving on. Seems I will likely end up with an UnderCover since it's basically the only one out there that actually is designed the way that I want it. I'll be reaching out to them to discuss specifics on their cover, its size, design, etc.

Have a Bak Flip G2 on my truck. I like the way it looks flush mounted with the bed rails and the install was easy. It is NOT 100% waterproof though and the Bak Box tool box that I got with it was pretty cheap. I had to make my own brackets to mount it securely. Got it from the Bak factory outlet from Morrie the owner. Really great customer service and great price from him.

bb7974cd-8950-448c-a9a6-80d6cee057dc_zps

Something to consider...

Just hearing it was a Bak product would have me turning the other way.

Just hearing it was a Bak product would have me turning the other way.

I'm not coming to Bak's defense here, from all I've read here my opinion is Bak customer service has big problems, but last Saturday I was in the largest topper store in Denver and spoke to the owner who told me he'd have absolutely no problem dumping Bak and just going with the other brands he carries if he had any real issues with them. He carries several brands, including Fold-A-Cover but despite all that he sells more Bak than he does all the other brands he carries combined by a wide margin. (Including less expensive tonneaus) He said he's only had one issue in the past six months with a Bak tonneau, and they sent out a replacement without delay. Has this changed my decision NOT to buy a Bak? Not really...

Edited by jetfixer737