2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

Is it possible that any of the covers can be used with a rack also? I see that some of them leave the stake holes mostly uncovered, but not sure if there is enough clearance to make it work. Just curious

Retrax covers can be ordered with the stake pocket areas cut out of the cover's rails so that you have full use of the stake pockets. This is available for GM trucks only.

Has anyone run into trouble installing the access roll up tool box compatible cover? I am trying to install in my 15 sierra HD ( I know, wrong forum but not as many after market folks over there yet) and cannot for the life of me get the provided clamps that hold the rails to tighten securely. I've cranked these things down tight and even with the slightest of pressures the rails are sliding off. Any thoughts? I was thinking of throwing my impact wrench on them but am skeptical of just sheering the bolt. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to ordering, installing and getting pictures.

Tonneau: Bestop Zip Rail (no velcro, no snaps) See Pic

http://www.bestop.com/component/products/?view=product&id=16

Price: $170 (best offer on Ebay) + there is a $50 mail in rebate so $120 all said and done. :smash:

Friend has used this tonneau for last few trucks so I decided to give it a try. Has two cross bed arch rails that are force held into place. This was need for extra clearance as my cooler is a bit taller than the side rails so a flush fit wouldn't work. the arches and the rear tailgate bar are quick to remove (30 secs). Only drawback, not water tight at all as is. Will show in pics. Other note: Tonneau is listed on Bestop site as 07-14. I emailed them and asked if they were releasing a new one for the new model and they said no. Dimensions are very similar. Some sites if you look, i.e. autoanything, will say it doesn't fit. I confirmed again with bestop and found this one for 189 on ebay and offered 170 and gave it a shot. Fits great. It does cover the rear "hand holes" though. Some additional foam stripping in the places noted in the pics and it would seal up. Enough rambling and pictures.... I know....

20141014_124506.jpg

20141023_164451.jpg

^^^^ Driveway is sloped right to left in pic, but a level is still needed... soon... ^^^^

20141023_164552.jpg

^^^^ Gap across tailgate. Plan on putting some weather stripping on the tailgate that will meet up with existing seal ^^^^

20141023_164522.jpg

^^^^ This shows the Zip Rail System. The black flap (rigid ish) folds into the gap on the rail. It is a very snug fit and very secure. No velcro to wear out or snaps to deal with ^^^^

(used in old Jeep bikini tops)

20141023_164603.jpg

^^^^ Here you can see the cross arches, mounting hardware and at the front top seal, left and right a small gap. Again, some extra stripping will seal it up. ^^^^

I know I need spray in liner bad. I'm just doing my part to scuff it up first.

I run an Access soft rollup Tonneau cover.

was like $275 on amazon.

easy to install. looks nice. keeps my stuff dry.

best of all, rolls up in a minute when I put my quad in the bed.

I see real truck has a video about installing the rear clamp in the 2014 requiring some extra steps, but from the video makes it look like with a bed liner it won't be possible. How is your rear/Tailgate Clamp installed?

I just installed a Roll-X cover to my 2015 Silverado. The installation was very simple. My daughter and I did it in under and hour, and we didn't rush it at all. The cover is very good looking, and I love the rolling functionality of it. I've used only tri-fold hard covers before, but wanted to try something different this time. Glad I went this way. But the product is far from perfect, as I've found out.

Plusses:
- Very good looking, as it's very flush with the bed rail.
- Still leaves enough room around the side for the hand hold hole (14/15 Silverado example)
- Easy to operate
- Sturdy construction, but probably not as sturdy as a tri-fold. I wouldn't put weight on it.
- Very easy to install in < 1 hour

Negatives.
- I expect this cover to leak like crazy. The front corners of the bed are left very open.
- Doesn't seem very tight on the bed, may move around. Time will tell on that one...
- The closing method doesn't always grab correctly. You have to push down on parts of the cover to make it grab everything as you close it.
- I don't feel this cover is very secure. More later on this...

Lets go over the negatives a bit more. The corners of the cover, especially the front corners don't seem well engineered. I can easily see where water would seep in. With a little wind the corners of the rubber here could life leaving a gaping hole for water. They should have made the seal in the corner more robust, and probably even engineering a clamp to work in the corner. It basically could use a cross member here to help with the tie down and sealing of the cover. The cover just "floats" here (float's not the right word, but I can't quite explain it like I want to.) The install just seems a bit hokey, as you have to adjust a lot to get it to align just right forward and backwards on the bed. They should know the length perfectly and just make it fit. It there was a similar cross bar along the front edge with a solid seal, similar to the side bed bars used to hold down the cover, and have the cover attach to this front cross member I feel the cover would be 1000 times improved in stability, fit and water tightness.

Last, I really don't see this cover as being highly secure. Seems to me you could easily slip a hanger under the cover at the tailgate and grab one of the release wires to undo the cover. I don't want to tear my cover up, so I've no tried this. But I can't see it being that hard to get into the bed with this cover locked.

But, overall I still like the cover as it looks great and is easy to use. Next time I'll probably go back to the Extang Tri-Fold hard cover, as it was solid as a rock and extremely secure.

Edited by Nargg

Nargg, did you install the included weather stripping along the front bed rail? Mine came with a thick one and a thin one, I actually installed both (thin one on top of the thick one). I still noticed some small leaks at the front corners, and found it was mainly due to the side seals were not sitting flush on the rails (just the front corners). So I decided to glue the side seals to rails, about a 2 inch long section along each side at each front corner. Barely see a drip now.

I didn't see a big deal in having to adjust the cover a few times during installation, basically after you adjust it backwards so the rear bulb seal is touching the tailgate, you're set. As far as security, it seems like the thief would need to know exactly where to stick the coat hanger, because all I see is that rear bulbs seal when I try to pry up on the rear of the cover. It's the same setup with their Bakflip folding model too. I think some people have rigged up a piece of metal bracket to cover over that gap where the release cable is, so then you can't hook it with a coat hanger.

Nargg, did you install the included weather stripping along the front bed rail? Mine came with a thick one and a thin one, I actually installed both (thin one on top of the thick one). I still noticed some small leaks at the front corners, and found it was mainly due to the side seals were not sitting flush on the rails (just the front corners). So I decided to glue the side seals to rails, about a 2 inch long section along each side at each front corner. Barely see a drip now.

I didn't see a big deal in having to adjust the cover a few times during installation, basically after you adjust it backwards so the rear bulb seal is touching the tailgate, you're set. As far as security, it seems like the thief would need to know exactly where to stick the coat hanger, because all I see is that rear bulbs seal when I try to pry up on the rear of the cover. It's the same setup with their Bakflip folding model too. I think some people have rigged up a piece of metal bracket to cover over that gap where the release cable is, so then you can't hook it with a coat hanger.

I'm looking into glueing the front corners too. Got a brand new hot glue gun, and haven't had anything to use it on yet... :) I do see a big deal in having to re-engineer a product to work as intended. Small leaks are OK, this is a major hole. I still say a cross member holding the cover tightly at the front with proper seals and hard strap buckle mounts (the buckles rattle like crazy between the bed and cab.) would be a 1000% improvement in this product. I hope they continue to improve, maybe on version 3 of this cover?

I also thought about covering/blocking the release cable. Probably do exactly what you suggested with the metal bracket. Thanks.

• Like 1