2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

So for the Retrax, what are the pros/cons of getting the wide rail option?

You probably already found the answer, but for others: The regular Retrax rails partially cover the stake pocket holes. So, for GM trucks only, you can order wide rails that will totally cover the stake pocket holes. Alternatively, you can also order the rails with cut out notches which will leave the stake pocket holes totally open.

I emailed Retrax with about a few questions regarding the PRO cover I am interested in purchasing, and I figured some of you may have been wondering about the same things, so here is a transcript of our correspondence:

From me:

"I am interested in the Retrax Pro for my 2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT with the 6.5' bed. My friend just bought a Retrax ONE for his 2014 Tundra and loves it, so I wanted to make sure the PRO is worth the extra cost to me. My main concern is the life of thermoplastic elastomer connecting hinges. According to the FAQ: "This material is designed to last the life of the cover, ensure smooth operation and provide a dependable seal."
My questions to you if I purchase the Pro are:
1. Are the seals replaceable? Or, are they permanently fixed to the slats, which I would assume would mean the entire cover would need to be replaced if they fail.
2. In the unlikely event that the seals wear out/become brittle and start leaking within the first three years, will I have to pay for a replacement or will the warranty cover the full cost of the repair? What about after 5 years or so?

Thank you for your time and assistance with my inquiry, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon."

Reply from Janelle @ Retrax Customer Service:

"The seals and the slats are replaceable. Our warranty if for parts and shipping. If you have this type of issue in the first three years the cover will be replaced under this warranty. If it is after 5 years it will be at a pro-rated cost."

Follow up from me:

"Thanks you for the prompt reply! That's good to hear that the seals
are replaceable. If you don't mind, can you please give me a ballpark
price of what the seals would cost out of warranty should I need to
replace all of them at 100% my cost? Thank you again for your time."

Follow up from Janelle:

"To replace a complete slat with the weatherstrip is $35.00 + shipping."

I thought the weather strip/seal would be more expensive or more difficult to replace, so based on that I'm going with the PRO model.

P.S. Kudos to Retrax (specifically Janelle) for getting back to me so quick. Nothing says "You're on your own after we get your money." like a company with unresponsive customer support.

Edited by BaltimoreCaesar

I got the BAK Roll-X cover. After I made a few adjustments, it seems pretty water tight now. Sits nice and flush and then rolls up and only blocks a portion of your rear view. I had the BAK Bakflip HD folding cover on my last truck, and liked it too, but it did block the entire rear window when folded all the way up.

If you're looking for a BAK cover, try www.bakfactoryoutlet.com. The owner is Morrie (extension 704), call him directly and ask for the Forum discount and he'll give you his best price. I also got a Bedrug BedMat from him.

P1380028

I got the BAK Roll-X cover. After I made a few adjustments, it seems pretty water tight now. Sits nice and flush and then rolls up and only blocks a portion of your rear view. I had the BAK Bakflip HD folding cover on my last truck, and liked it too, but it did block the entire rear window when folded all the way up.

If you're looking for a BAK cover, try www.bakfactoryoutlet.com. The owner is Morrie (extension 704), call him directly and ask for the Forum discount and he'll give you his best price. I also got a Bedrug BedMat from him.

It is not completely waterproof but for me, it's close enough.

After going through the automatic car wash or a heavy rain, I get maybe a few ounces of water that makes a tiny puddle by the front passenger side of the box - that's it. I've had it since mid June and so far, It's awesome.

Edited by NoProblem

^The tailgate area and front corners is where I also noticed minor leaks. I moved it toward the rear slightly so the gasket sits tighter against the tailgate, no more leaks there. For the front, I noticed the side seals were actually sticking up some, leaving a tiny gap for water to get in. So I decided to just glue them down to the aluminum rails, about a 2 inch long section on each side/corner. I also used both weatherstripping pieces they included with the cover (thick one and thin one) along the front bed rail (below the rear window). Because I first only installed the thick one and I could still see daylight coming through at the front of the bed. So I installed the thin one over top of the thick one. No more drips in front corners as far as I have noticed.

Edited by stevev

Hey guys do you know what the bed rug part number is for the Sierra 5'8 bed? Everything I have seen says 07 to 14 and shouldn't the 14 be a different part number? Every other bed liner I have looked at has the 14-15 listed separate.

Edited by Chevyman3308

I ordered the color matched Peragon M3 last night. I have the factory rollup with support bows but I'm not overly impressed with it. I need something that doesn't take up much space or is easy to remove. This one seems like it will work for me.

I ordered the color matched Peragon M3 last night. I have the factory rollup with support bows but I'm not overly impressed with it. I need something that doesn't take up much space or is easy to remove. This one seems like it will work for me.

The Peragon seems to be a great deal. I keep eyeing that one now.