2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

Well, I hope I'm not the only one that is mainly interested in an aftermarket intake for the throaty sound. Previously, I had an AFE closed air intake on a 2007 tacoma, and it had a nice throaty sound at 2500 rpm or so. On my '08 maxima, I had an R2C open air intake with aluminum tubing, and it sounded excellent. It had a throaty rumble that I absolutely loved.

I want the same for my 2015 5.3L Sierra. I'm torn between the AFE Momentum GT Pro and the AFE Magnun Force. Can anyone who has either of these describe the sound?

Here is a video of the sound I'm looking for:

I'm not a fan of the k&n, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Thanks for any input.

I have the AFE Momentum intake, I really like it! The sound is great, very deep and noticeable growl when under load but not overly loud and annoying. When towing you really hear the deep growl in the lower to mid RPM range, I get lots of compliments on how it sounds.

I also have the AFE TB spacer, I will say that this quieted the intake sound just slightly and made it a smoother growl vs an aggressive growl if that makes any sense.

In the upper RPM range when the sound starts to go away you can still hear it slightly but not as much in the lower-mid range.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If for no other reason that to get rid of the stock stuff it would be worth it imo.

did anyone have any problem with it ,when engine would switch V4 to V8 ????? I know a lot of you have them , lets hear from you . thanks

Edited by tahoe08

Why do people keep referencing the test done on a GMT900 5.3 from BlackBear? While the engine displacement is the same the engines are very different. As an owner of a 2011 I would use an Air Raid intake tube, but someone has not done this testing on the newer 5.3.

Edited by c0boy

Just installed k and cai yesterday, right away I feel better response in the pedal as far as acceleration, as far as noise it sounds quiet like stock unless u get on it a little then you hear a nice growl like I would think a normal truck would sound. I will monitor my mpg and see if I find a difference

I installed my airaid a while back.... I habe put about 10K on it so far and i can say that it works really well. The installation was a breeze and the ram air scoop is pretty nifty.... Not sure if it actually does anything but i do like that it is there. The filter is MASSIVE maybe because i have never had a V8 before but holy cow lol.

As for the sound i love it.... You hear it on a agressive takeoff or when you are heavy on the peddle. Sounds very healthy at WOT, the sound gets drowned out because of my aggressive tires but i love it.....

Here us a pic of it. post-143469-145306741986_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

post-143469-145306741986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is anyone running the Banks or Cold Air Inductions cai? Trying to weigh all the "50 state legal" options but I may just end up having a airaid MIT shipped to my buddy in Washington and having him ship it to me.

Edited by quail hound

Yes, you hear it slightly when under normal acceleration. It's a nice initial growl as you ease into the gas, sounds great IMO.

. Thanks for your input. AFE momentum on the way! I've had tons of open/hot air intakes before so I'm glad to be back using AFE and this enclosed/cold air intake.
  • Like 1