2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

Yeah all those companies have released theirs for the 2014-15 trucks except Cold Air Inductions.

http://www.coldairinductions.com

I thought there was a thread about their products and their release date or something.

I can be patient forever other wise I would have never got laid.

I'll prolly just go with the SB intake

GOT BOOST ?

For those interested, Banks has released a new version of their Ram Air Intake System for the 2014-15 5.3L , 6.2L GM trucks...

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/?option_id=308%7C10%7CGas%20Trucks%2C%20%0A99-15%20Chevy/GMC%20-%204.3%2C4.8%2C5.3%2C6.0%2C6.2%2C8.1%7C3

post-106333-0-86373600-1437396977_thumb.jpg

Removed Volant CAI and reinstalled OEM air box with AE Dryflow synthetic air filter. Was not happy with the Volant's overall quality and fitment (air box lid didn't fit right, clamps kept getting loose, kit was missing a clamp and the filter clamp was stripped). It also rattled against the inside of the fender and made a strange noise just before the truck downshifted (kind of like a growl with a rattle) despite everything being tight. I've had several K&N CAIs and a Banks CAI and never had this much wierd noise. Sending the unit back. I may try the new Banks or keep it stock.

Removed Volant CAI and reinstalled OEM air box with AE Dryflow synthetic air filter. Was not happy with the Volant's overall quality and fitment (air box lid didn't fit right, clamps kept getting loose, kit was missing a clamp and the filter clamp was stripped). It also rattled against the inside of the fender and made a strange noise just before the truck downshifted (kind of like a growl with a rattle) despite everything being tight. I've had several K&N CAIs and a Banks CAI and never had this much wierd noise. Sending the unit back. I may try the new Banks or keep it stock.

Not sure if you are only considering the K&N or Banks but I'm running the AFE Momentum, the fit and finish was great. Its a sealed box and does have some growl to it but there is a silencer hole you can plug in the front to help with the noise if you want less, but there is no rattle sound at all.

Not sure if you are only considering the K&N or Banks but I'm running the AFE Momentum, the fit and finish was great. Its a sealed box and does have some growl to it but there is a silencer hole you can plug in the front to help with the noise if you want less, but there is no rattle sound at all.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I am NOT considering the K&N this time due to the open filter design. I ordered the new Banks sealed box unit and just received the Airaid MIT since it uses the stock air box (I already have a AEM Dryflow filter).

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking to get an intake up here in Canada until I started shopping around for a price after calling around the best price I found was 235 taxes in. I don't know if I can drop that on a peice of plastic when on the states they are 150.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy wasn't expecting a 14hp loss with his new AFE on his C7.

Now this test doesn't look like it was controlled in any way and he has the Dyno setup for some long ass Dyno pulls but it is still a good representation of what you can actually get vs. the hype and advertised gains. Do your homework when buying a so called "CAI"

Sent from Off Driller Side

• 1 month later...

Engine Cover - compressed file.jpg

Running a S&B Filters Air Intake with the washable filter. I had other brands on past trucks, so far the quality of this one crushes all the others. I like the closed air box with the clear lid. Enjoying the added intake noise, and even increased the exhaust sound.

#tstehle07

Where is this radiator shroud from?

Blackbear did some testing earlier this yr and showed adding a CAI does increase overall power. Some more than others but they are not all hype. The details are in the black ear section feel free to check it out.Cold air inductions (CAI) is a popular brand on the camaro side. Definitely can tell a difference with mine. zesagevu.jpgRyan

. What brand is that see through intake

I added the Airaid Junior to mine the other night. I didn't do it for performance.... I more or less never do. I do it to delete that mess of silencers under the hood and open up the engine bay. Now that the batwing cover is gone off my truck I can actually see my 6.2..... and the belt..... and the waterpump and hoses, etc. The sound change is awesome too... sounds closer to on par with my 6.2 powered F150 which is what I wanted. And I have the dry filter which is fully washable and reusable. Did it do anything for horsepower?...... I will say no it didn't and I don't care. I have a nicer more open engine bay and the truck sounds better.

If you don't know the junior kits retain the stock air box and thus are an actually CAI just like the oem setup.....

• Like 1

First mod I always do to any vehicle is at least add a K&N filter if not the whole CAI setup. I have many hot rods over the years, and even added a K&N to my 1986 G20 conversion van & then it ran lean in the carb due to more air being pulled in with just the filter. I ended up adding different carb rods & a hanger to compensate. So dyno's aside, something definitely changes when you add one for air flow. Some are hype, more for looks & sound, but if you do your homework & multiple pulls on a dyno, or 1/4's at the track, you will see a difference in your numbers if you pick the right combo. The reason they don't come like that from the factory is sound, emissions, cost, etc. Same reason most all of Chevy/GMC's sound like kittens even though they have a V8. I was checking on here to see what everyone had to say about what they were using on their trucks. I have been tinkering with Volant, but not sure. But more airflow in & out of an engine ALWAYS equates to more HP provided the right amount of fuel is given.

I know this is the interweb and all, but word on the street is K&N's suck dirt as well as they breathe. Personally I would look into a dry flow, the brute force AEM stuff is solid (not sure what they call the filter for these trucks) but I would go that route. I had used K&N's exclusively in the past for many years, until I figured out how much dirt they such and switched to something else on all my other vehicles. You have many options, I would look elsewhere. Engines don't like dirt, It won't kill them in the amounts K&N's pass but you will be wearing things more than necessary.

In my limited opinion, I will probably go with the Airaid MIT, and a dryflow filter, seems to get you to the same place. All of the intakes only gain so much. seems like splitting hairs with the exception of the ones that just plain underperform.

Edited by kennerz

Well, I hope I'm not the only one that is mainly interested in an aftermarket intake for the throaty sound. Previously, I had an AFE closed air intake on a 2007 tacoma, and it had a nice throaty sound at 2500 rpm or so. On my '08 maxima, I had an R2C open air intake with aluminum tubing, and it sounded excellent. It had a throaty rumble that I absolutely loved.

I want the same for my 2015 5.3L Sierra. I'm torn between the AFE Momentum GT Pro and the AFE Magnun Force. Can anyone who has either of these describe the sound?

Here is a video of the sound I'm looking for:

I'm not a fan of the k&n, otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Thanks for any input.

Edited by Haus_Z71