2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

Installed an S&B tonight. Install was easy. The air box is a bit bigger than stock, rests pretty close to the headlight plug. Have the butt dyno scheduled for tomorrow:).

df200afd25e69248249c0650362f5423.jpg

78b74238baca68d4a1072cf83ece6b01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Installed an S&B tonight. Install was easy. The air box is a bit bigger than stock, rests pretty close to the headlight plug. Have the butt dyno scheduled for tomorrow:).

Man i was holding out so long for this intake, but I think I may just go with the Airraid MIT.

Do you have any soundclips or comments about the product?

Man i was holding out so long for this intake, but I think I may just go with the Airraid MIT.

Do you have any soundclips or comments about the product?

I can try to get a sound clip, but they tend to not show the true sound and unless we have the same exhaust, it probably wouldn't tell you anything.

As for comments, I was surprised about how much it changed the exhaust note, does sound like it is flowing more air. I have a 22in magnaflow on right now(had a 14in before that) and it made it louder and deeper in tone. I don't hear any increase in intake noise since it is fully enclosed, seems to be the same as the stock box, unless I just can hear it over the exhaust. Honestly my but dyno isnt tuned to pick up anything under a 20HP gain. Don't really notice anything there, not like I did with the Diablo canned tune.

I considered the MIT also, I went with the S&B over anything else for the following:

- I wanted to keep it fully enclosed, engine compartments gets dirty, I think the box protects the filter better and keeps intake noise down.

- I like the clear window S&B has. I don't want to get out a screw driver to check my air filter.

- S&B's claims that their filters filter as good as stock paper, but flow much better of course.

- Takes advantage of the extra hole in the sidewall to be able draw in more air(if that really matters).

- It looks cooler :) I like the look of the red filter showing.

Since I can't ever just be done with this stuff. I am wondering how hard it would be to cut an access hole in the air box and make a plug so I can access the headlight bulb by only having to remove the filter(not the whole box).

• Like 2

Did you notice any performance gains with this intake?

It was somewhat hard to tell as I put the exhaust on a couple weeks before the intake. It did sound like the whole system can breathe better now. I was trying to rev it up to hear if I could hear more of a whine from the intake as I have with previous intakes on vehicles but I couldn't really. I still think it made a difference just wish I would have tried it before doing the exhaust.

I just had an Airaid CAI installed with the dry filter. It was 397.99 shipped to my door from Jegs. I think it looks a lot better than the stock intake. f3e3065f8449b4f5df7cf6994d40cae8.jpg

Edited by wurgs

Thanks.

Between intake and exhaust it does seem to breathe better. Hand calculating on my old truck intake and exhaust added 1.2mpg but lost about all that when I put 10ply tires on it for towing a camper. I hope to get similar results but time will tell. I'm not sure if it is because these new trucks are just that quiet or what, but it doesn't seem any louder than my stock intake was.

Not a knock on you, that intake looks cool. However I have never seen an intake that is narrow at the filter and widens as it goes to the throttle body. That makes zero sense. The intake tube should have been one size the whole way through.

I did just install my MIT and dry flow filter. I didnt notice any butt dyno gains but the truck feels more responsive and has a throaty sound on acceleration. Ive never had a vehicle that was noticeably louder from an intake swap.

Not a knock on you, that intake looks cool. However I have never seen an intake that is narrow at the filter and widens as it goes to the throttle body. That makes zero sense. The intake tube should have been one size the whole way through.

I did just install my MIT and dry flow filter. I didnt notice any butt dyno gains but the truck feels more responsive and has a throaty sound on acceleration. Ive never had a vehicle that was noticeably louder from an intake swap.

Maybe you can comment on the MIT then. From the pictures I have see of it(like post #453) I thought it does a similar thing. It is narrow by the filter then, rather than a gradual increase in diameter, it bulges out right away.

I almost went with the MIT. S&B does claims a 38% increase in flow, not that I have any way to confirm that:)

They have to be the same diameter as stock at the MAF, otherwise you'd need to reprogram the MAF tables in the tune. Some Vette intakes do change the size there and the companies offers programming support themselves or in conjunction with a third party tuner. That takes a lot more R&D on their part and usually means a more expensive part. And it means people who don't want to tune can't use the part.

Edited by Jon A

Turns out that I am looking for a CAI and have narrowed things down to going all the way and getting the S&B CAI or saving some money and doing the more logical/sensible thing and just getting the Airaid MIT.

I really like the look of the S&B but if it doesn't actually provide a performance advantage over the Airaid NIT, it doesn't make sense to pay double the price ($300 vs $150). Russ, you seem the only one that can comment on the S&B.

Maybe you can comment on the MIT then. From the pictures I have see of it(like post #453) I thought it does a similar thing. It is narrow by the filter then, rather than a gradual increase in diameter, it bulges out right away.

I almost went with the MIT. S&B does claims a 38% increase in flow, not that I have any way to confirm that:)

So after I looked at that pic i went outside to check mine. I didnt remember it narrowing at the filter side. The tube itself in the MIT does a weird twisting things and that angle in post 453 was at that angle to make it look very narrow. Without pulling it off I cant say if it narrows at all but it does appear to very slightly. I'll post a pic when I get time and pull off the tube and measure both ends.

I really like the look of the S&B but if it doesn't actually provide a performance advantage over the Airaid NIT, it doesn't make sense to pay double the price ($300 vs $150). Russ, you seem the only one that can comment on the S&B.

I feel like it did help, I also have a tune and exhaust. Not sure if you have read S&B's faq on hp gains, but I think there is some truth to it. I think you have to take any performance mods HP claims with a grain of salt.