2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

I'm guessing a hard polyurethane, 1/8 in thick. For insurance I glued it in, I only had to use one threaded nipple the 5/8 ID hose fit perfectly on the inside molding. The Volant CAI I took off the truck also had one threaded nipple like I used on the Airaid.

just saw than K&N is coming out with a CAI for the 6.2, only other one I know of specific to the 6.2 is the airaid set up.
I ran a roto fab CAI in my camaro and loved it, wish they made one for the trucks. I ran a K&N in my 2010 silverado with no issues.

I dont know much on airaid although I am hearing some complaints on how much noise it creates.

Any thoughts>? any others on the market I am missing?

Installed the AIRAID intake tube. Part#200-996 for the 5.3L. Comes with a CARB sticker.

Best price I could find was here: http://www.ecrater.com/p/5137942/chevrolet-suburban-48l53l60l-2007-08-airaid-modular

List of extras I needed to purchase to make it work on my 2014 Silverado:

5' of 5/8" Heater Hose

1/2"NPT Male x 5/8" Hose barb Fitting QTY:2

1/4"NPT Male x 1/2"NPT Male QTY:1

1/2"NPT Female x 1/2"NPT Female Coupling QTY:1

Had to drill and tap a 1/2"NPT Hole into the tube in order to accommodate the drivers side breather hose from the valve cover. Easy to do if you have the tap. Sealed the fitting with some silicone for peace of mind.

Definitely an increase in sound, but only with heavy acceleration. Very enjoyable.

Thanks to those who did this before me. Really motivated me to purchase.

Pics:

post-131050-0-01353100-1402170968_thumb.jpg

post-131050-0-58025300-1402170969_thumb.jpg

post-131050-0-93313500-1402170970_thumb.jpg

Edited by inzane240
  • Like 1

I did the stock airbox mod and used an Injen cold air tube on mine. The tubing itself is what causes most of the noise from what experienced. I went back to stock baffled air duct work and did not notice any change or loss of power. Best bet from my experience is do a high flow factory style filter like a k&n and modify the factory air box to let more air in. Sounds mean as hell when you get into it but stock the rest of the time. BTW, anyone interested in buying my modified Injen air intake tube PM me.

I did the stock airbox mod and used an Injen cold air tube on mine. The tubing itself is what causes most of the noise from what experienced. I went back to stock baffled air duct work and did not notice any change or loss of power. Best bet from my experience is do a high flow factory style filter like a k&n and modify the factory air box to let more air in. Sounds mean as hell when you get into it but stock the rest of the time. BTW, anyone interested in buying my modified Injen air intake tube PM me.

I built my own intake, by tig welding up some aluminum tubing and am like you... Seen no gains in power and an increase in intake temps but I'm sure that was solely due to the aluminum tubing I used. After seeing the increase in temps and KR I quickly pulled it and went back to stock. I'm going to try the MIT as soon as I can find somebody willing to let one go for a decent price.

I have a K&N 63 series intake kit for the 6.2 liter for sale. Only had maybe 30 miles on it before it was removed so basically brand new. $175 plus shipping and it's yours. Feel free to send me a message with any questions.

I spoke with S&B today and they will be releasing their CAI for the 5.3L and 6.2L engines at the end of June or beginning of July... I almost ordered the K&N kit but I think I will wait for S&Bs enclosed kit or for Airaid to release their MIT (whenever that may be).

S&B is saying end of July now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who is S & B
never mind, searched them. I think I am ordering the K and N. too many complaints on the noise of the airaid, never heard of S and B and not a fan of closed boxes for looks

S&B is saying end of July now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nomadicdogg

What do these CAI sound like? Does it just make the engine noise more pronounced? I read through most of the thread and didn't see a good description or sound clip. It must be slightly loud for people to completely remove and go back to stock. I really like the looks of the Volant but might end up modding my existing box.

I'm assuming these tests were done with the hood closed? This completes the enclosing of the filter. If not it very well could be drawing in hot air vs a factory closed box. Just a thought. I definitely understand air intake temps. I had originally installed a KN filter directly on the throttle body on my 91 Camaro. Later I made my own cold air intake. It moved the filter to the area behind the headlights. Without it actually being in an enclosed box the temps dropped signicantly which in turned made a few more ponies. Also, I had to relocate the temp sensor out of the MAF on my G8 in order to keep the sensor from getting heat soaked. I used a Vararam system on it. When track testing I always looked at the intake temps. BTW, would you know if a DashHawk(yeah it's old, lol) would work on this 14 truck? I used it on my 06 SS TB and my 09 G8. I think MSD took them over a while back but I think it's currently no longer.

Did you have any luck with the DashHawk? I have one that I used on my 2008 TBSS (DD until I get the Sierra Denali next week) and my G8 GXP (traded for Sierra Denali) but have to setup a Windows XP machine to be able to program it... Do these trucks suffer from heat soak like the G8 did? I had the Vararam and the Vector heat soak kit on my G8. I know that Vector still makes heat soak kits just not sure if they work or are needed??? Thinking I will go with the Airaid on this vehicle...

What do these CAI sound like? Does it just make the engine noise more pronounced? I read through most of the thread and didn't see a good description or sound clip. It must be slightly loud for people to completely remove and go back to stock. I really like the looks of the Volant but might end up modding my existing box.

I can't remember who it was but a user on here put it best when he said "it sounds like drowning Wookies"

• Like 1

I agree TDT. It does sound like wookies at times. I have the Airaid on my 5.3. It is only loud when you get on the throttle but otherwise quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk