2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

Installed Airaid kit for 6.2L. For those considering the full kit (202-111), the install is straight forward. I suggest installing the filter to the box coupler prior to installing the coupler to the box - you cannot get the filter installed if you wait until the end.

Noise has a nice throat when the throttle opens. Noise while cruising isn't noticeable. Cannot comment on whether the supposed +/- 10hp exists since the truck is 5 days old (not near break in) and we're dealing with 420hp to start ?

I was reluctant as many are with the open box concept as I like the sealed tops better, however it seals nicely to the hood and the new hoods seal better to boot. Overall, it's a classic, easy and enjoyable mod - happy so far.

post-46440-0-18853700-1397016815_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

For those of you looking for an Airaid MIT kit on these new trucks, I suggest that you contact them to help get the ball rolling.

This is the response that I got from them today after emailing them last night.

Steve

At this time we do not have a MIT in the works for the new 2014 GM trucks however I have noted your inquiry on our lost sales file which our R&D department and new products committee refer to when looking for new products develop. While I cannot make any promised I will keep your email on file and will follow up with you if I hear that we are working on one.

Sorry we could not be more help with your search at this time and please feel free to get back in touch with me if you have any additional questions.

Mark Fowler

Lead - CSR

AIRAID Filter Company

2688 E Rose Garden Lane

Phoenix, AZ. 85050

P. 602-652-9727

F. 602-652-9827

For those of you looking for an Airaid MIT kit on these new trucks, I suggest that you contact them to help get the ball rolling.

This is the response that I got from them today after emailing them last night.

Steve

At this time we do not have a MIT in the works for the new 2014 GM trucks however I have noted your inquiry on our lost sales file which our R&D department and new products committee refer to when looking for new products develop. While I cannot make any promised I will keep your email on file and will follow up with you if I hear that we are working on one.

Sorry we could not be more help with your search at this time and please feel free to get back in touch with me if you have any additional questions.

Mark Fowler

Lead - CSR

AIRAID Filter Company

2688 E Rose Garden Lane

Phoenix, AZ. 85050

P. 602-652-9727

F. 602-652-9827

Ok Steve, you may have been down this road before. Try Donaldson on the web, they have all kinds of tubing and rubber elbows for remote filter installation. I haven't had the time to do the research, figured it would be up your alley. Edited by KARNUT

Ok.... I replied to Mark Fowler with Airaid's email, telling him what my current plans are as far as using the MIT from the 2013 and just modifying the PCV connection points. He actually replied back with concern over doing that since they have done 0 testing on it. This really surprised me as most people/companies only see $$$$. Here is his response....

Steve

I understand that there are a few people that have adapted the earlier tube onto the 2014 and while they may have been able to install it that does not mean it will work properly. Extensive testing needs to be done with a part like this to ensure that the long term fuel trims are good and that the air flow over the MAF sensor remains within the OE parameters to avoid any potential damage or runability issues.

Mark Fowler

Lead - CSR

AIRAID Filter Company

2688 E Rose Garden Lane

Phoenix, AZ. 85050

P. 602-652-9727

F. 602-652-9827

And of course my resonse...

Mark,

Since I am a tuner I will know within minutes the effect that it has on the factory calibration. I'm hoping that it does effect air flow enough, in a positive manner, to require adjustment to the MAF transfer calibrations and/or volumetric efficiency which will not be an issue since I am able to adjust accordingly. I will be able to log it's effect and will report back to you with the percentage of airflow changed across the MAF's effective range on the new DI 5.3.

With the design of this huge factory intake muffler/baffle system, I can't see it being anything other than an improvement.

I do appreciate the warning and your genuine concern for my investment over the monetary gain that could be had by your company. That goes a long way with me.

Steve
TDT Custom Tuning

(918)804-2949

Edited by TDT
  • Like 1

Damn SY.... CSI much?

That's not as strange as the claimed HP though, LOL

Hey TDT, I gave up on that show along time ago. However after thinking about the KN filter test again, I came to the understanding that the KN filter must be the best thing going for our trucks. Just think about it for a minute while looking over the #'s

Run Title: Stock 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L

Run Notes: Baseline stock run. 2362 miles. 3rd gear run.

Run Date: 3/25/2014 10:45:45 AM

Stock.001: 73.61 °F 29.06 in-Hg Humidity: 29 % SAE: 1.01

Run Title: K&N 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L

Run Notes: K&N intake kit #63-3082 installed. 6732 miles. 3rd gear run.

Run Date: 3/25/2014 12:56:59 PM

K&N.002: 74.36 °F 29.01 in-Hg Humidity: 28 % SAE: 1.02

They manage to get a 15.39 HP and 21.24 LBFT increase by changing the filter. But in the real world they were very conservative with the outcome.

They manage to take a brick and by changing just the air filter the got this brick with 4 wheels (most likely had non speed rated tires on it) to travel 2,185 miles one way and back again in 2.17 hrs so they could put it back on the same dyno to show the inprovements. To top it off, they did it with a 5.3L engine. One time for sure is I glad it was a Chevrolet Tahoe because the Ford Expedition may not have survive at those speeds.

Maybe we got this CAI thing all wrong if just a filter can do this. I wonder what they could do with a 6.2L engine?

Hey TDT, I gave up on that show along time ago. However after thinking about the KN filter test again, I came to the understanding that the KN filter must be the best thing going for our trucks. Just think about it for a minute while looking over the #'s

Run Title: Stock 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L

Run Notes: Baseline stock run. 2362 miles. 3rd gear run.

Run Date: 3/25/2014 10:45:45 AM

Stock.001: 73.61 °F 29.06 in-Hg Humidity: 29 % SAE: 1.01

Run Title: K&N 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L

Run Notes: K&N intake kit #63-3082 installed. 6732 miles. 3rd gear run.

Run Date: 3/25/2014 12:56:59 PM

K&N.002: 74.36 °F 29.01 in-Hg Humidity: 28 % SAE: 1.02

They manage to get a 15.39 HP and 21.24 LBFT increase by changing the filter. But in the real world they were very conservative with the outcome.

They manage to take a brick and by changing just the air filter the got this brick with 4 wheels (most likely had non speed rated tires on it) to travel 2,185 miles one way and back again in 2.17 hrs so they could put it back on the same dyno to show the inprovements. To top it off, they did it with a 5.3L engine. One time for sure is I glad it was a Chevrolet Tahoe because the Ford Expedition may not have survive at those speeds.

Maybe we got this CAI thing all wrong if just a filter can do this. I wonder what they could do with a 6.2L engine?

Lol... I like the part where that Tahoe added 4k miles to the odometer in a couple hours time. I have posted real data on here... now it's up to you guys if you want to take the time to read it.

I do appreciate your optimism ... I have spent thousands of hours on a Dyno and have NEVER seen a car produce numbers anywhere near what K&N claim and have also seen the effects of oil type gauze filters which I steer clear of. I also don't need an open element box when stock flows just as good, has cooler IAT's which means you can add more timing for more power and is quieter. There is nothing attractive about K&N to me unless they fab me a MIT

Edited by TDT

I want to thank you for posting the real data too, but I forgot to put it in the post that I made.

Yeah... That cracks me up

I was driving down the road when I read your post and totally missed the sarcasm. Lol

Edited by TDT

I was thinking about modifying a Injen Cold Air Kit and cutting it right near the MAF....looks like their MAF placement is closest to the factory airbox location. It fits our trucks and has the proper fittings for the breathers off of the valve covers. This looks like it may work. It comes in black and polished. INJEN PF7064BLK