2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

So today I ordered the Magnaflow cat back exhaust part# 15318 single 3.5 in. Side exit. I'm hoping this fixes the over bearing CAI noise.

This seems like you are saying the way to handle increased noise in one part of the truck is to increase noise in another part.

• Like 1

This seems like you are saying the way to handle increased noise in one part of the truck is to increase noise in another part.

I am use to exhaust and intake noise, now I just have intake noise...so the answer is yes! it will soon sound like a truck with 420 ponies under the hood.

I am use to exhaust and intake noise, now I just have intake noise...so the answer is yes! it will soon sound like a truck with 420 ponies under the hood.

I can dig it. If my foot starts hurting, I'll hit my head with a hammer.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good choice.bet u cant wait

You mean 440-450 ponies under the hood after those mods. :thumbs:

I wanted to get rid of that ugly and restrictive box shaped stock intake tube on my 2014 6.2L Silverado, but didn't want to go aftermarket, mainly because they are overpriced for what they are.

I wanted my engine to look oem, so I looked into the Airaid intake tube, but it was only available for the last gen trucks. By looking at the install pictures of different intakes of both NBSS and K2 trucks, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Airaid intake tube (200-996) from amazon for ~$130, and do a test fit. If it didn't fit then I'm out the return shipping.

Both NBSS and K2 use a similar stock airbox design, but I was afraid that I'll have clearance issues with the alternator, since it's mounted on the passenger side on the K2, while it's on the driver side on the NBSS.

So I got the intake tube, removed the stock tube and did a test fit, well, to my surprise the fit was great, like it was built for my truck, the alternator cleared by a mile.

But the problem now was that, the NBSS use a single 3/8 breather hose, but the newer trucks use dual 5/8 breather hoses, so I bought a couple of 5/8 fittings from the help section at autozone, and 3ft of 5/8 hose.

I took a 5/8 drill bit and drilled the existing hole, plus another spot that was right under the existing hole. The fittings were cut and JB welded to the tube. Meanwhile, I took one of the stock breather hoses and sliced the plastic tubing, that will be used to connect my hoses.

I installed my modified tube, and took the truck for a test drive, the throttle response is slightly better and it sounds great, plus the engine bay looks much cleaner.

The cost of the fittings and tube was less than $140, I decided to keep the stock air filter for now, but might get a nice dry filter later down the road, too bad it got dark and didn't take a finished picture, I'll try to post a couple more tomorrow.

gallery_127865_2503_58567.jpg

Stock vs Airaid

gallery_127865_2503_51722.jpg

Test fit

gallery_127865_2503_230068.jpg

gallery_127865_2503_133444.jpg

The fittings I used

gallery_127865_2503_88791.jpg

Airaid tube top view

gallery_127865_2503_190157.jpg

Airaid tube bottom view

gallery_127865_2503_102922.jpg

Stock breather hose

• Like 1

The install does look clean but can you elaborate a little more on "it sounds great"? I wouldn't think that there would be a whole lot of difference from stock

The install does look clean but can you elaborate a little more on "it sounds great"? I wouldn't think that there would be a whole lot of difference from stock

It sounds completely stock, but above about 50% of the throttle, I can hear some growl, not too loud unless I'm at wot.

hezy5uge.jpg

That Airaid intake looks nice. Although, I wouldn't trust JB weld to hold that fitting you added on.

I agree with the no JB-weld. I would be looking for rubber grommets and some tight fitting nipples or just teeing off the original smaller vaccum nozzle coming out of the intake. I would have to have it in my hands to know for sure though, but JB-weld was never more that a fix to get me home in the past. Maybe its improved over the years.

I love how clean it looks though... That's what factory should look like. I think I'm going to drop the cash and do this myself.

Edited by iCryWheniGoPoop