LED Front Light Bars & Pods

Well I installed my bar yesterday and went with a rigid harness. So essentially all I would need to do is splice in a wireless harness into the trigger wire?

Yup... should be relatively easy. If you post the links to the wiring harnesses, I'll take a look and see if I can draw you a schematic on how to do it.

Yup... should be relatively easy. If you post the links to the wiring harnesses, I'll take a look and see if I can draw you a schematic on how to do it.

This is the one I got

Rigid Industries 40190 Wiring Harness for 40" to 50" Light Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D619OGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QSk2vbT5ZEJ0A

Just installed this bad boy today. 30" off brand from eBay. Install wasn't that bad. Hardest part for me was taking off that painted trim between the bumper and the grill. Installed a $25 wireless wiring harness from Amazon. Once I had it all hooked up the 40A relay that came with it fell apart and I had to buy a new one. Hooked it up and bam we got lights!73934dbb24c042100c199341c1ef8694.jpg1218a8b7164bfbec81904e1d1ecaf3e6.jpg983009acc4bbac8995620092618d63ac.jpg

Will post some night shots in a couple hours!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This is the one I got

Rigid Industries 40190 Wiring Harness for 40" to 50" Light Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D619OGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QSk2vbT5ZEJ0A

Okay, great. Odds are, the wiring is going to be setup something like this:

Light%20Wiring%20LED%20Bar_zpsn7lwdmfg.j

It's hard to tell from just a picture on Amazon, but I think this is close... there might be a blue wire from the switch to the relay rather than black, but the function is the same.

If we redraw it, but remove the switch light part to simplify it, it might look like this:

Single%20Relay%20LED%20Bar_zpsbuv6hueu.j

Now if you wanted to add the remote control module, you would put the two relays in parallel, like this:

Two%20Relay%20LED%20Bar_zpsnisxpd23.jpg

This will allow you to use either the dash switch OR the remote control module to turn the LED light bar on/off. If you bought the entire remote control wiring harness, then it could hook up just like the Rigid harness, and you would just tie each output wire together before the light bar connector.

Another way to do it and eliminate one of the relays is to tie the remote control receiver into the Rigid harness, like this:

Single%20Relay%20LED%20Bar%20with%20Remo

The cool thing about the relays is that they are pretty cheap. I buy a bunch from Part Express along with the sockets just to keep on hand in the garage... you never know when you're going to need one, and the local parts store seems to charge a premium for them.

Here's a link to Parts Express for the relays and sockets: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/12v-relays-sockets/399

They also have a ton of switches, so if you didn't like the looks of the one that came with your harness, you could easily get one with a little different style.

060-770_HR_0.jpg060-774_HR_0.jpg060-772_HR_0.jpg060-710_HR_0.jpg060-762_HR_0.jpg060-764_HR_0.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/rocker-switches/1574

If you wanted to make your own harness, it's not all that hard... just need to get all the wiring and parts and get to work.

Let me know if this helps, or if you need additional information.

Mark

• Like 1

Okay, great. Odds are, the wiring is going to be setup something like this:

Light%20Wiring%20LED%20Bar_zpsn7lwdmfg.j

It's hard to tell from just a picture on Amazon, but I think this is close... there might be a blue wire from the switch to the relay rather than black, but the function is the same.

If we redraw it, but remove the switch light part to simplify it, it might look like this:

Single%20Relay%20LED%20Bar_zpsbuv6hueu.j if I'm reading it right if you turend it on with the remote you would not be able to turn it off with the dash ?

Now if you wanted to add the remote control module, you would put the two relays in parallel, like this:

Two%20Relay%20LED%20Bar_zpsnisxpd23.jpg

This will allow you to use either the dash switch OR the remote control module to turn the LED light bar on/off. If you bought the entire remote control wiring harness, then it could hook up just like the Rigid harness, and you would just tie each output wire together before the light bar connector.

Another way to do it and eliminate one of the relays is to tie the remote control receiver into the Rigid harness, like this:

Single%20Relay%20LED%20Bar%20with%20Remo

The cool thing about the relays is that they are pretty cheap. I buy a bunch from Part Express along with the sockets just to keep on hand in the garage... you never know when you're going to need one, and the local parts store seems to charge a premium for them.

Here's a link to Parts Express for the relays and sockets: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/12v-relays-sockets/399

They also have a ton of switches, so if you didn't like the looks of the one that came with your harness, you could easily get one with a little different style.

060-770_HR_0.jpg060-774_HR_0.jpg060-772_HR_0.jpg060-710_HR_0.jpg060-762_HR_0.jpg060-764_HR_0.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/rocker-switches/1574

If you wanted to make your own harness, it's not all that hard... just need to get all the wiring and parts and get to work.

Let me know if this helps, or if you need additional information.

Mark

. You would still not be able to turn it off with the dash switch if turned on with the remote Edited by Rme2513

. You would still not be able to turn it off with the dash switch if turned on with the remote

Correct. My assumption is that he wants the dash switch to operate while he is in the cab, and have the remote as a way to turn it on/off from outside of the cab.

In those circuits I posted, if he leaves the light switch on, but kills the ignition and gets out of the truck, the light bar will turn off. The remote control will still work to turn the light bar on/off, as it gets power from the battery directly.

If you wanted to have multiple switches/remotes to turn on/off the same device and ignore a constant 'on' from any source, then it requires a different circuit.

Edited by Fasthotrod
  • Like 1

Took these pics of my neighbor across the street. Pretty sure he's a drug dealer as different people are always coming and going, not to mention the cops have been there at least twice in the past year for neighbors calling them in. Every two weeks this guy is driving a different car, other than his truck. He's had that. Just put these lights on today LOL

eafa5656e64606eda14a2b5ae6274468.jpg

5c0d3dbb0b670545082ef52832ff1521.jpg

• Like 1

What part of Houston you from Kerrs? Sorry if I've already asked you. I got a bad memory. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Edited by 440hsp

Hope so man. Been looking for a fellow gmc neighbor that likes messing with their trucks.[emoji106]

• Like 1

Awesome!! I lived in apartments called broadstone coles crossing off barker cypress for 4 years before we bought our house here in Tomball a couple of years ago. We were the apartments behind the Krogers side of barker cypress.

Little tease of what's going on the truck. Current bumper had no fog lights so I got a bumper with fogs, then I got another bumper ltz with everything on it for $100 (couldn't pass the deal). I'm switching all the ltz bumper stuff to the other bumper I had bought and all the chrome from the bumper is currently getting colored matched.

d6811a5aa8201579b65fdd023e430aa1.jpg

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

• Like 2