LED Front Light Bars & Pods

If looking for a light bar, I intend to go with the OPT 7 ones. They're a lot cheaper than say, Rigid (Which is crazy expensive), and the OPT 7 LED bulbs and LED pod I ordered after seeing one in person look very well built. I am reading through this thread right now though, looking for switch installations... I haven't figured out where to put the switches inside the truck.

Think about hooking it up to the high beams. Just tap the high beam circuit and run it to a relay. That way, when an oncoming car appears from around a corner suddenly, dimming the light bar is one movement with dimming the high beams. Another way to do it, if you want to use the high beams without the light bar (or other aux lights) is to put a switch in between the relay and high beam circuit you tapped. Then the high beams must be on in order for the light bar (aux lights) to be on, but the switch will disable the light bar when high beams are on, if desired.

• Like 4

Think about hooking it up to the high beams. Just tap the high beam circuit and run it to a relay. That way, when an oncoming car appears from around a corner suddenly, dimming the light bar is one movement with dimming the high beams. Another way to do it, if you want to use the high beams without the light bar (or other aux lights) is to put a switch in between the relay and high beam circuit you tapped. Then the high beams must be on in order for the light bar (aux lights) to be on, but the switch will disable the light bar when high beams are on, if desire

To hook it up to the high beam....Anybody know where to tap the relay exactly? Took a quick look a the fuse box but didnt found anything....

Thanks

Edited by DrMax

Just installed the T-Rex hood brackets and a set of Rigid D2 driving lights. Install was easy and fast and the brackets hold the lights securely. Definitely recommend them to anyone wanting to do the same.

Question, I have a Spod controller with their new touch screen switch panel. In looking at my truck it seems its not going to be easy fishing a line through the main wire harness grommet in the engine bay. From the inside of the truck there is so much stuff in front of it I can't even get my hand behind to feel it. Any suggestions or help? It should also be noted that I have to fish a headphone style jack with a 90* bend at the end.

I also see some people have suggested going in through the rubber grommet in the door jamb. Seems like an easier install and appears it can be done cleanly and without and pinching of the wire. Any reason not to do this?

Got impatient and went ahead with install. Used the door grommet which worked out perfect since I needed the cable to come out by the front drivers assist handle/pilar. Simply fished it through, removed the side cover on the dash and fed the wire up to the pilar. Install was very easy and came out really clean. Used some silicone to add some waterproof protection to the grommet I went through.

Mounted the spod onto a bracket I made that mounts on the spare battery tray. Seems to be the best option in these trucks.

The spod was a bit pricey but is easy to install and has a bunch of cool features. I have the option to dim or strobe my lights. I also have the ability to add 7 more lights by simply mounting them and plugging them into the spod, no need to fish more wires into the cab or add switches. I also didn't have to drill and holes for the switches which is a plus. Simply replace the rubber door grommet and everything would be as if I never modded the truck. Definitely a plus in my mind. Will post some pictures if people want them.

Edited by jm77
  • Like 2

Got impatient and went ahead with install. Used the door grommet which worked out perfect since I needed the cable to come out by the front drivers assist handle/pilar. Simply fished it through, removed the side cover on the dash and fed the wire up to the pilar. Install was very easy and came out really clean. Used some silicone to add some waterproof protection to the grommet I went through.

Mounted the spod onto a bracket I made that mounts on the spare battery tray. Seems to be the best option in these trucks.

The spod was a bit pricey but is easy to install and has a bunch of cool features. I have the option to dim or strobe my lights. I also have the ability to add 7 more lights by simply mounting them and plugging them into the spod, no need to fish more wires into the cab or add switches. I also didn't have to drill and holes for the switches which is a plus. Simply replace the rubber door grommet and everything would be as if I never modded the truck. Definitely a plus in my mind. Will post some pictures if people want them.

Sounds like a neat product and would love to see some pictures if you don't mind

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To hook it up to the high beam....Anybody know where to tap the relay exactly? Took a quick look a the fuse box but didnt found anything....

Thanks

I am thinking tap into the solenoid wires for the high beam shutter, I am assuming this is always has current running through those wires when the high beams are on. Then they have no current when they move to low beams. Not sure, I am looking to putting some led pods behind the grill for high beams, if there is another way that is easier I am for it.

The seamless function of using a relay to drive the auxiliary driving lights has been really a great way to go for me. I took a road trip this past weekend to Yosemite Nat'l Park and the mountain driving at night was made easy with the ability to dim all the lights at once with a single motion of flipping the wiper/dimmer lever. All the times I had to dim the lights would have been much more tedious with dedicated auxiliary light switches and would have delayed the dimming, causing longer exposure to glare to the oncoming drivers.

The seamless function of using a relay to drive the auxiliary driving lights has been really a great way to go for me. I took a road trip this past weekend to Yosemite Nat'l Park and the mountain driving at night was made easy with the ability to dim all the lights at once with a single motion of flipping the wiper/dimmer lever. All the times I had to dim the lights would have been much more tedious with dedicated auxiliary light switches and would have delayed the dimming, causing longer exposure to glare to the oncoming drivers.

It's funny that you said this. I've been to Yosemite and Groveland twice in the last two months, and have 1 more trip coming up in August. So +1 on the added lighting; it's a practical necessity on those highways. I'm really looking forward to using the light bar for the first time out there. BTW, I plan on wiring it directly into the high beams as well for exactly the same reason that you cited. Yosemite ROCKS! :flag:

What brand light bars would yall say we're the best or most reliable

probably rigid if you have the cash. I had a set of rigid duallys, they were nice but the paint started to bubble. Warranty covered it. I have totron on my truck as well as 2 atvs, they've been great for the price. Definitely holding up especially on the atvs, being hit with grass and sticks, in water, snow, and mud and no problems.